Tron Legacy Costume

One thing I thought of was if you got the POWO (Pink Off - White On) sheets, maybe you could use backlight film that you could print out with a blue tint to overlay the sheet with to make it appear blue? Since you are cutting the EL sheet into a strip, you could attach an overlay strip of blue tinted backlight film over it. I don't know how well that would work, but it might get the blue tint you're looking for.

I was thinking the same thing. A blue film, or if it can hold up, I'd try to use some clear, blue tinted spray paint. But I don't know how well paint works with the light sheet.

For the hexagon pattern under the suits, I'm lost. I'm thinking that is the only part I can't make accurate. It might have to be substituted for mesh.

Right now though, I'm getting the plans and measurements down.

I am actually working on costume too, I use to work for a company that made EL wire but since went under. I have an over abundance of it at my house so this costume seems like it has to be done.

Some people were thinking about going to the EL route, I think i am going to run multiple strands next to each other and then try difussing it with some clear viynl I spray painted with frost. I have attached some pictures.

I think the clear viynl needs a few more coats of spray so you can't see the wires...

I am actually working on costume too, I use to work for a company that made EL wire but since went under. I have an over abundance of it at my house so this costume seems like it has to be done.

Some people were thinking about going to the EL route, I think i am going to run multiple strands next to each other and then try difussing it with some clear viynl I spray painted with frost. I have attached some pictures.

I think the clear viynl needs a few more coats of spray so you can't see the wires...

sell me some of that EL wire and I will send you detailed pics of the suit they had a comic con.

You could also perhaps lightly sand or steel wool the underside of the vinyl to aid in diffusion. I did that with the lenses of my Ghostbusters proton pack and it worked pretty well.

Russ

anyone know how much el wire it would take to do a full suit? would 2 separate long lengths be the best, one for each side of the body, left and right i mean not top and bottom although i suppose that would work too

anyone know how much el wire it would take to do a full suit? would 2 separate long lengths be the best, one for each side of the body, left and right i mean not top and bottom although i suppose that would work too

I'm not sure how much wire it would take for a full suit, but instead of doing a single long length of wire down the side of the body, I would probably break it up into separate segments at points where there is a bend. From what I understand, EL wire doesn't take bending stresses too well, so you might want to put in breaks where there is a bend, like your waist, your knees, your elbows, etc. to avoid bending the wire too much and causing it to short out or break. So, for example, if you are putting EL wire on your arm, don't put a single strand from shoulder to wrist. Put in two separate strands, one from shoulder to elbow, then another from elbow to wrist. That way, you avoid putting the wire through the point of maximum flex, the elbow. (I hope that makes sense!)

What would some one else have to do to get those pictures?

I was at the TRON LEGACY panel and even the actor guy that plays SAM said you cant move around a lot because of the EL strips are fragile and the key is to just stand up straight when you are wearing the suit. LOL

Regarding the TRON suit that they had on display at FLYNN's arcade. It was just there for people to take pics of, you couldnt touch it, but it wasnt encased in glass or anything so I got really up close and personal with it!

took really good pics of the back of the suit where the disc is, and the shoulders, abdomen, and thighs.

I partially disagree with how fragile EL wire... the only weak part of the how operation is you initial solder point to the invertr. You have 2 very small ~.002in according to the calipers. You will more than likely need a micrometer for an exaxt. The point is that is where your weak point is.

If you can avoid any high impulse force to the solder joints you should be ok. Maybe add a loop for some give?

The wire itself is VERY durable, I have taken a blow torch to it for 2-3mins..... the plastic does melt but it will keep its continous glow. You can see in the pictures how sharp up apoint you can make it. Its also not that hard to wrap or move around, don't think it would impair movement very much, I think the padding built up around the thin suit is what is causing the resistance when moving.

Last edited:
the base suits remind me of the suits they made in Xmen. Strong leather (or in Tron's case rubber) like panels with stretch sections for the actors to move.

I partially disagree with how fragile EL wire... the only weak part of the how operation is you initial solder point to the invertr. You have 2 very small ~.002in according to the calipers. You will more than likely need a micrometer for an exaxt. The point is that is where your weak point is.

If you can avoid any high impulse force to the solder joints you should be ok. Maybe add a loop for some give?

The wire itself is VERY durable, I have taken a blow torch to it for 2-3mins..... the plastic does melt but it will keep its continous glow. You can see in the pictures how sharp up apoint you can make it. Its also not that hard to wrap or move around, don't think it would impair movement very much, I think the padding built up around the thin suit is what is causing the resistance when moving.

I have worked with El wire myself since 2004 my 1st trip to Burning Man and it IS quite fragile depending on how it is used on the body.

I am a costume designer and I decided one day after returning from BM I was inspired to make a line of EL Wire costumes. I did and made corsets. One of the corset tops I made with El Wire has broke many times because of the way it was sitting on my body. If you bend that wire enough and if you are moving around alot, let's say dancing, then yes the wire in the mid section point can break and there goes your whole connection.

It's kinda like if you have a thin metal wire. It is durable with a few bends back and forth, but when you keep bending it over and over and over again it eventually will break. The El Wire is similar. I kept moving, dancing, the mid section of the wire were it was hitting like around my waist caused friction and the thin wires which are encased in the clear tubing of the El Wire, broke and I lost my light up connection. There is no way to fix that either.

I made another corset and just the tightness of it on my waist and me walking broke and my whole corset design was left in the dark.

Some of them broke near the solder point and some in the mid section of the wire. Either way point is, yes, El Wire is not as durable as you say. Even if you get a thicker gauge it is still capable of being very fragile. It can only take so much repeaded bending abuse.

The Tron Legacy costume application looks very streamlined and flat laying on the body, so it should work much better than what I went for and I am sure El Tape, which I have yet to try, would hold up even better.

Just my input from someone that has worked with this stuff many times.

Carboxyll, can you please tell me how you frosted that clear vinyl you used to difuse the El Wire? That is very cleaver and a great idea. I almost want to try that method out on my Quorra suit I will be making instead of going with the El Tape.... I just don't understand how to use the Cut and Shape your own.

Thank you!
~Annissë

Last edited:
Does any one know if there is a demontration vid where it shows you how to work with that Cut and Shape El Light Sheets? I just saw the website for them, but I can't understand how you will be able to cut those sheets into the many pieces you will need to install into the TL suits. I have never worked with El Light Sheets before only wire. They seem perfect to do the suits with, I just need to understand how to use them exactly and get all the pieces you cut rigged to the power source to light them all up.

Thanks!
~A

Does any one know if there is a demontration vid where it shows you how to work with that Cut and Shape El Light Sheets? I just saw the website for them, but I can't understand how you will be able to cut those sheets into the many pieces you will need to install into the TL suits. I have never worked with El Light Sheets before only wire. They seem perfect to do the suits with, I just need to understand how to use them exactly and get all the pieces you cut rigged to the power source to light them all up.

Thanks!
~A

I'd be interested in that myself. Regular EL wire isn't bright enough to light a identity disc brightly so I was thinking of going with sheets. From the sheet kits I've looked at I don't get how you can cut it into strips and keep a continuous circuit.

Carboxyll, can you please tell me how you frosted that clear vinyl you used to difuse the El Wire? That is very cleaver and a great idea. I almost want to try that method out on my Quorra suit I will be making instead of going with the El Tape.... I just don't understand how to use the Cut and Shape your own.

Thank you!
~Annissë

I'll see of if I can take some disection pictures of the EL sheet for you tomorrow.

For the vinyl I purchased some spray-on frost from Lowes (It took me like 5 mins to find because the gloss spray looks the same packaging wise), my Walmart did not carry it. I actually just sprayed one brief coat then another after 30 seconds or so. Later that night I did tried it on some glass. I did about 4-5 coats but i waited longer between each application and that turned out really nice. Oh yea, I also prepped it with some prep-all, but any cleaning solution would work.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in that myself. Regular EL wire isn't bright enough to light a identity disc brightly so I was thinking of going with sheets. From the sheet kits I've looked at I don't get how you can cut it into strips and keep a continuous circuit.

You can get EL wire pretty bright, it runs on AC current, when buying an inverter see if you can one with a high Hz value. The higher the Hz the brighter it is... however your wires' life span will decrease.

I'm pretty sure the EL wire and sheets have the same lumen value to each. Its phosphorous on a copper element.

I am building an Identity disc too, you can check out the thread on that. I am going the LED approach though.

Thanks!
~A
I don't know of a vid but I read a post on another forum once. I have now Idea where is was, but it's something like: there is a specific side that has connection tabs sticking out of the sheet. You can cut it in any shape as long as you don't cut those tabs off. so you can almost cut it however you want as long as that side is a part of your piece.

I did just find this forum post about how a guy used this for a tron inspired arcade controller:High-end artwork mod #2: Electroluminescent Panel

Here is a vid I found of it lighting up:YouTube - Electroluminescent Paper Demonstration

I think it'll be much easier to work with Reflective tape than El-wire. While it doesn't glow, it produces spectacular effects when a picture is taken with flash. Here's an example:

38148_1554493025678_1335773337_1478144_682051_n.jpg

This is my own helmet that I recently finished for a con. I'm planning on finishing the whole suit, however I'm not sure that the whole suit will be covered in reflective tape.

At ComicCon, there was the Flynn Lives ARG event, where people were dressed up as programs (I'm assuming they were civilian programs, and not the gladiators (Sam, Quorra, etc.) that we're used to seeing). They used much less rubber and more fabric materials compared to the costumes we've seen so far. They also used the reflective tape effect.

Lot's of reference pics:

4848530786f4e09f90b9.jpg

48485095864260f78208.jpg

4848506078dfac6f93c8.jpg

4848496150e7bd8fcb8b.jpg

48485003444619c4afa1b.jpg

484862206083f71f1ee1b.jpg

4847887285224638209d.jpg

4848620418a8f3131804.jpg

48478837092f4195b2ac.jpg

4847876859b6d38b7e66.jpg

48478892416af15c714cb.jpg

4847997799769d748ebf.jpg

48478756392365e11b4eb.jpg

4831798252_c1d59ecf44_b.jpg

4831796390_b256d77b20_b.jpg

4831799856_b16d75cfd6_b.jpg

Thanks!
~A

Hi Annisse,

The website that was mentioned earlier, Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels states that sheets can be "overlapped so that no seam is visible in a field of light." The custom Cut and Shape sheets have terminals along all four sides of the sheet, so as long as you keep any two terminals attached, the sheet will light up. The way I've thought about cutting them and rigging them to the power source would be through the use of splitters. For example, the A4 sized custom sheet has a lit area of 7.7 inches x 11.1 inches, which means you can have, for instance, 7 different one-inch wide strips that are 11 inches long. Since the sheets can be overlapped, you can overlap each 11 inch segment with another one (tape them together or attach them some other way) until you reach the desired length. At that point, you would need to use multiple splitters so that you can split the single connection coming out of the driver in order to connect to each 11 inch segment. Some drivers come with multiple splitters, I saw a 4 way splitter on another site somewhere. That's one way you could do it. You'd be running wire all over your body, but you would be making the most of the EL sheet.

Using that same concept, you can cut out angles (such as those on Quorra's arms and thighs) and overlap them with straight segments. It may be a bit cumbersome, but I think it might achieve the desired effect. I hope this makes sense. If it's not clear, send me a message and I'll see if I can explain it a little better.

Good luck on your Quorra suit! :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back