Tron Legacy Costume

I just find this amazing how much time and effort is put into making one of these costumes. I actually shopped for Jango Fett armor and the prices were staggering. Then I looked at all of the processes and I realized why they were. They are for sure fun projects though. :)

Does anyone have any good pics of Sam Flynn's helmet from from any production stills, trailer screen shots or from Comic Con I can use? Especially look for the back of the helmet. I'm trying to see the all lights they have on his helmet from different angles.

Thanks.

Does anyone have any good pics of Sam Flynn's helmet from from any production stills, trailer screen shots or from Comic Con I can use? Especially look for the back of the helmet. I'm trying to see the all lights they have on his helmet from different angles.

Thanks.

There's two different helmets. The light cycle helmet and the Disc Wars helmet.

Oh sorry. The Disc Wars one.

Here ya go.

Sam_helmet_ref.png

Just found this - concept art by Neville Page based on Harrison Ellenshaw, who worked on Tron, presented on SDCC and "Art behind Images":
july221tron017.jpg

Here ya go.

Thanks for your help.

One other thing: I'm trying to figure out in the parts I circled on the helmet why on one it is lit up but on the big bottom one it is not lit up?

Tron%20Legacy%20helmet%20question.png

I just found these too where it shows those areas are lit up:
SDCC10_day3_206.jpg

tronendoflineclub-CCfullrecap-07.jpg

It's weird why in that one promo shot the light on the helmet are not lit up.

Batt supply? forgot to turn on one of 10 light? lose wire?

Could have been any of those but I suspect that they either turned them off or photoshopped them out for the composition of the shot - there's already so much lighted, glowy stuff in the shot it is getting cluttered. Getting rid of that light helps the close up look better.

QUANTUM CREATIONS FX - List of Answers to Get from Q C FX (post any other questions if you got 'em):

What were some of the difficulties/surprises of working with the Elastolite material?

What were some of the materials & fabrics (or found items) that they used for the costumes (both gladiator armor and civilian clothing)? Specifically, what material was used to make the rubber-looking armor of the suits?

Who designed the hexagon 3D print/the underbody fabric of their costumes and who we can contact to get our hands on it?

Were the discs, batons, helmets, etc. also lit with Elastolite for consistancy or something else?

Thats all I have so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that image, YenChih. I was looking for that, but forgot where I found it.

As for the "slot" in the Disc Wars helmet, the only time it's not glowing is in the promo shot (probably an error or something), so I say that area should glow (if you want the helmet to be movie accurate).

I really hope Quantum answers some of our questions. That would be really awesome.

Thanks for your help.

Tron%20Legacy%20helmet%20question.png

On the bottom image with him holding the Disc, is that a reflection from lights above shinning on the center part of his helmet? That's what I am assuming. (Not the circled area on the bottom image, I'm referring just to the left of the circled area on the bottom image. I just reused the same image. I hope that didn't confuse anyone.)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Hope this is the last question for you all :confused Sorry.

This is in regards to the arms on the costume. As you can see below the images from the promo photo and a behind the scenes photo there is a gap in the lights on the arms. But then the replica suit that on display at Comic Con there is no gap on the arm lights. Is the replica suit on display just a normal user suit or was it supposed to be a replica of Sam Flynn's suit?

Tron%20Legacy%20Arms.png

Thanks again in advance for your help.

On the bottom image with him holding the Disc, is that a reflection from lights above shinning on the center part of his helmet? That's what I am assuming. (Not the circled area on the bottom image, I'm referring just to the left of the circled area on the bottom image. I just reused the same image. I hope that didn't confuse anyone.)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Its a reflection. 'Nuff said.

Hope this is the last question for you all :confused Sorry.

This is in regards to the arms on the costume. As you can see below the images from the promo photo and a behind the scenes photo there is a gap in the lights on the arms. But then the replica suit that on display at Comic Con there is no gap on the arm lights. Is the replica suit on display just a normal user suit or was it supposed to be a replica of Sam Flynn's suit?

Tron%20Legacy%20Arms.png

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Its supposed to be a replica of Sam's suit - no two suits are alike, although they may be similar. My thinking is that the gap in the light on Sam's suit was a little detail they forgot to include on the replicas.

Its a reflection. 'Nuff said.

Its supposed to be a replica of Sam's suit - no two suits are alike, although they may be similar. My thinking is that the gap in the light on Sam's suit was a little detail they forgot to include on the replicas.

Thanks a lot DangerIMMN for clearing these both up for me.

Thanks again for your time.

Sorry for earlier; I didn't notice these comments:
Batt supply? forgot to turn on one of 10 light? lose wire?

Could have been any of those but I suspect that they either turned them off or photoshopped them out for the composition of the shot - there's already so much lighted, glowy stuff in the shot it is getting cluttered. Getting rid of that light helps the close up look better.

I didn't realize this was supposed to be in response to me. I guess BumblebeeRecycd forgot to use to the "reply" button and I didn't notice the comment or DangerIMMN's response to that comment either. Sorry my bad guys :(

Last edited:
Email to Quantum Creations FX

Impressed with your Work!

Hi Deedee,

I'm sure you're getting a lot of this right now - but I've soo been impressed with the costumes Quantum Creations FX has created for the upcoming Tron Legacy movie (and your previous movies)! I've seen the trailers and I was at Comic Con last month and got to see some costumes up close. They just look so awesome and otherwordly. I can't wait for the release date! Keep up the good work.

Myself and quite a few others on the Replica Movie Prop Forum (therpf.com) are very excited to try and make our own Tron Legacy costumes either for Halloween or for the movie release! I was wondering if you or someone at Quantum Creation FX might be able to answer a few questions and help us out? We would appreciate it so much.

1- What were some of the difficulties/surprises of working with the Elastolite material?

2 - What were some of the materials & fabrics (or found items) that they used for the costumes (both gladiator armor and civilian clothing)? Specifically, what materials were used to make the armor of the suits and the softer under-suits?

3 - Who designed the hexagon 3D print/the underbody fabric of their costumes and who we can contact to get our hands on it?

4 - Were the discs, batons, helmets, etc. also lit with Elastolite for consistancy, or if not, how were they lit?

5 - Were the actors unable to sit down between takes because the costumes were so tight and multi-layered, or because the wiring for the costume lighting might break if they did? Or both?

Ok, thats it. Don't want to take up too much of your time. If you'd/they'd rather not type all this out in email, feel free to give me a call: XXX-XXX-5655. Thanks for helping us geek out!

Last edited:
I managed to find this helmet at a thrift store for $5 It was worth it to take a risk on it. I know its not the exact helmet, but right now its on the backburner.

I have 3 of the little LED holders for the inside cut, I was going to wire it to some switch to have them turn on off.

Also I am going to tale all the neck support padding out and beef this thing up withsome Lithium ion batteries. The suit and the tron disc i'm building have batteries too but I was thinking to plug into this battery bank to recharge everything.

Here were my thoughts...
1. I was going to either go LED or EL wire on the back of it but I am waiting to find a good way to diffuse the light.
2. Spray some insulation foam ro the back of it to get the correct contour.
3. scrap the whole idea.

right now I am trying to finish the tron disc, then suit. then the helmet. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I do all my LED prototyping with a USB cable, if you decide to do this make sure you use 100ohm resistor for white or blue LEDs, but on the Arduino it outputs 3.3v so no resistor is needed

Hey Carboxyll, any updates on your helmet?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back