Tron Legacy Costume

Rook 3

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone pre-planning or actively planning how to make a costume from Tron Legacy?

We have 6 months until the premier... it would be cool to go all glow suited up. :)

Any templates/patterns out there yet?

Thanks,

Russ

I'm focusing on the "first-generation" (Tron 1) program costume. I need to get some chest protector pads to make it complete, however.

I know UD Replicas are making a replica leather suit and that toy maker Spin Master are making a full-size Light Disc (which I'm going to get when the toys come out).

If you need some reference photos, here you go:

TRON%20Billboard%20Image.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images/Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund in TRON LEGACY_jpg_jpg.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images...ett Hedlund on the set of TRON LEGACY_jpg.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images...ph Kosinski on the set of TRON LEGACY_jpg.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images...ett Hedlund on the set of TRON LEGACY_jpg.jpg

I knew about the UD leather version... but I'm willing to bet it's more than I can afford right now.
I'm looking at DIY as a cost saving measure. Of course, I've also done DIY projects and had it cost
more than an off the rack version. :)

Thanks for the ref images. I think I've stole... I mean, Archived most of those already. :D

Russ

Man I can't wait for this film, I hope it does the original justice. A replica light disc is a must (preferably with working electronics)

LOL! It's not DIY if you just order one. ;)

Unless you're talking parts kits. Which could get interesting.

I know what you mean though.

I "think" the undersuit has a texture to it, at least under the arms and along the ribs. It has a texture like some sort of athletic mesh, or perhaps the "stay cool" mesh that some women's bras are made from. The material is available online by the yard. I can try and source it again if anyone's interested.

Russ

Hehe, I would be very interested Rook 3. Only just started looking at this costume, not sure if it will be financially viable for me to do, but I would love to rock up at the premier wearing it. Do you reckon the undersuit is a skintight suit like a dive suit or body glove? How do you reckon the rest of the costume could be made? A lead on the helmet would be sweet. I was thinking EL Sheet or wire for the light up parts. (Probably just stated the obvious, but someone has to do it.)

That arm piece looks like it goes from the fingers right up to the shoulder. The glove is pretty sweet!

Last edited:
I was thinking about this the other day. I'm not sure about the very base suit, but all those raised panels have the glowy bits on them, so it would be possible to sculpt all the pieces and cast them in Smooth-On DragonSkin, or something similar to it (so that they are clear for the glowy bits). Then just use the paint that Smooth-On makes that's specially formulated for DragonSkin, and paint out all the black parts, leaving the glowy bits clear. Then just put the EL sheet under it and affix the whole thing to the base suit.

I'm focusing on the "first-generation" (Tron 1) program costume. I need to get some chest protector pads to make it complete, however.

I know UD Replicas are making a replica leather suit and that toy maker Spin Master are making a full-size Light Disc (which I'm going to get when the toys come out).

If you need some reference photos, here you go:

TRON%20Billboard%20Image.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images/Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund in TRON LEGACY_jpg_jpg.jpg

http://media-file.net/7/tron/images...ph Kosinski on the set of TRON LEGACY_jpg.jpg

My boyfriend and I were considering these for Halloween but wanted them to look as close as possible and the material they use for the light strips ( lighttape ) would probably runs us almost a grand for enough feet for the both of us so we're probably going to pass...though there is a cheaper alternative, lightwire...the only thing is that it's much much skinner in width and would need some kind of translucent top layer in an attempt to make the light look wider.

May end up going the cheaper route...will post if the decision follows through!

I'm just speculating based on available images, but the suit looks (to me) to be at
least a 2 piece composite, with an undersuit that has "vented sections" to aid in
keeping the wearer cool (the mesh like material under the arms for example)
and a semi-rigid protective shell on top. The Lit areas look to be intergrated into
the "shell."

In it's most basic form, it's "kind of" like a suit of Boba Fett armor, with plates
over a fabric base.

Russ

Not knowing alot about different mediums, but that almost looks like leather to me, maybe with pockets for the lighting to be put in?

Last edited:
My boyfriend and I were considering these for Halloween but wanted them to look as close as possible and the material they use for the light strips ( lighttape ) would probably runs us almost a grand for enough feet for the both of us so we're probably going to pass...though there is a cheaper alternative, lightwire...the only thing is that it's much much skinner in width and would need some kind of translucent top layer in an attempt to make the light look wider.

May end up going the cheaper route...will post if the decision follows through!

Here is a product called lightsheet I found a couple of years ago. You can cut it to almost any shape. I don't know how much it runs but I think it's cheaper than light tape. Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels

I want to do this costume, I imagine its going to be seriously sweaty tho.
EL sheeting and wire isn't too expensive and comes in a wide variety of colors and thicknesses

Here is a product called lightsheet I found a couple of years ago. You can cut it to almost any shape. I don't know how much it runs but I think it's cheaper than light tape. Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels

BOOOooOoOoOoooOo they only have pink solid sheets right now! I'll have to scour for blue elsewhere... I gues $56 for 8x11 isn't too bad... though I'd still estimate it at at LEAST 4 sheets per costume which would be over $200 bucks just for the sheets. But I think the tape ran up to like $500+ for enough for the two of us... Could get away with three sheets but that'd be cutting it close. I think the sheets are almost a better option, though, since the light tape is only in certain widths and the sheets you could have the wide-to-narrow strips and not worry about any folding at the rounded corners and stuff since you'd be cutting it in the exact shape. :)

Nice find! Definitely going to look more into it!

These look like tough costumes, lots of different materials, textures, lighted sections. No matter how hard it looks to reproduce though, I imagine we are going to see some awesome stuff once people have had some time to work on them. The pictures in the UD Replicas tron thread show the textured patterns that I believe they copied right from the movie costumes so those may be helpful in terms of getting patterns for some of the components.

What's up with Olivia Wilde's backside in these pics? I mean, what's going on there? Is that a weirdly shaped skirt or is that just skin tight on her butt?

Also in one picture the glow tape looks literally taped on?! Oh the magic of movie photography!

For Olivia Wilde's costume, it is an oddly shaped skirt. It's a really weird angle, but that photo shows the skirt coming to a point behind one of her legs. It just makes her backside look really funky from that angle. Different angles make it make more sense.

BOOOooOoOoOoooOo they only have pink solid sheets right now! I'll have to scour for blue elsewhere... I gues $56 for 8x11 isn't too bad... though I'd still estimate it at at LEAST 4 sheets per costume which would be over $200 bucks just for the sheets. But I think the tape ran up to like $500+ for enough for the two of us... Could get away with three sheets but that'd be cutting it close. I think the sheets are almost a better option, though, since the light tape is only in certain widths and the sheets you could have the wide-to-narrow strips and not worry about any folding at the rounded corners and stuff since you'd be cutting it in the exact shape. :)

Nice find! Definitely going to look more into it!

The pink solid sheets light up blue. They are pink when powered off.

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post! TRON is my favorite movie, saw the original in the theater when I was 11 years old. I can't wait for the sequel!

I've never put together any kind of costume, but I'm thinking of attempting to make one modeled after Sam's suit for the TRON: Legacy release in December. (Maybe Halloween, if I can finish it by then!) I too had checked into LightTape, which is ridiculously expensive. So a cheaper alternative is most likely in order. I had also thought about the custom cuttable EL sheets as they are more cost effective.

One thing I thought of was if you got the POWO (Pink Off - White On) sheets, maybe you could use backlight film that you could print out with a blue tint to overlay the sheet with to make it appear blue? Since you are cutting the EL sheet into a strip, you could attach an overlay strip of blue tinted backlight film over it. I don't know how well that would work, but it might get the blue tint you're looking for.

Another idea along those same lines would be to use several strands of high-bright blue EL wire sewn together side-by-side and then have either a white or blue backlight film overlay on it so that it diffuses the light from the EL wire strands. Again, I don't know if that would work or not, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Another area I'm struggling with is how to achieve the rubberized armor look. I assume it's some sort of latex rubber overlay attached to some type of hexagonal patterned undersuit. I've never worked with latex rubber, so I was thinking of maybe using layers of craft foam, but I'm not sure how well that would work. Finding fabric with that hex pattern is proving to be very difficult as well!

I guess as a newbie, I sure picked a doozie to start with! LOL! ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back