Tron Legacy Costume

Yeah the wires do get messy. I do think it would be a good workaround if you have time.

I'm putting short lengths of regular wire in all the flexible joints (elbows etc) to reduce risk of breaking any elwire... Trying to keep elwire strictly reserved to non-bending places, even considering putting in like 1cm segment of regular wire for the chest strips where they would bend as I move my torso about.. I would hope that the regular wire wouldn't break all that quickly from bending/motion.

In general use (as I have experienced), EL Wire will NOT survive a few hours or more of flexing with walking/torso/arm movement at an event. 18gauge or thicker wire is what I use at the joints or flex points of my suits.

Using quick-connectors going to every part of your EL Wire near a flex point is also helpful in case a wire snaps from use. This method will allow you to make a few extra wire sections of the same size and with the connectors installed, just hot-swap the wire out when it breaks. Your average down time for that particular section, maybe 30-40 seconds. :cool

So when we go out for the pre-party before the premiere, where are we going and what are we drinking?

What's a good TRON drink?

Something with Hpnotiq in it?

roqcandy1.png

A little UV Paint (clear-inviso type) update -
All paint and ink is on a strip of standard blacktape/electrical tape:
UVpaint-Wet.jpg

Shown with paint wet, ink pen wet

UVpaint-Dry.jpg

Paint and ink nearly dry (paint has a slight white haze to it when fully dry, but minimal)

UVpaint-active.jpg

Fully lit room with UV Flashlight as blacklight source

UVpaint-RoomBulbTest.jpg

Darkened room with 15w blacklight bulb source about 8ft away

Last edited:
So after reading all 51 pages ( and lots of going to sleep at 3AM, thanks guys :lol), and seeing what Eddie and Twinight are doing, I'm ready to start my build using a fusion of the two. I'm gonna get an under armor shirt, and basically pattern out, using Foamies from Micahels, a general armor harness. Then once that is completed, modgepodge the hell out of it, plastidip it in black, and then hot glue it to the Under Armor Shirt.

Then I'm going to go the same route as Eddie and Anisse and do the looped, diffused EL on posterboard. And with building up my own armor out of the Foamies, I should already have channels set into it to allow for laying the lighted strips down. Now that's just for the top...

As for the pants...I dunno, but I DO know I'm repurposing my Star Trek 2009 Diesel Boots for this, so at least that's covered.

I'll post pics as I go, I just needed to do some price matching to see if it might not be smarter and easier to go with motocross/Paintball armor or hockey/lacrosse pads. Unfortunately, no place local has a good selection (I will be hitting thrift shops soon, though).

First thing I really need to do is purchase my EL Wire. From what I've gleaned, I hear that a 12V inverter is the best? Is that right? I'm figuring getting two 20' lengths of wire for the upper body, leaving the arms unlit, and possibly getting two 5' premades (in any voltage) for the legs. And maybe two 3 foot wires for the boots.

Anyway: enough talking, more working. I'll keep everyone updated. Gotta love deadlines!

Last edited:
So after reading all 51 pages...
First thing I really need to do is purchase my EL Wire. From what I've gleaned, I hear that a 12V inverter is the best? Is that right? I'm figuring getting two 20' lengths of wire for the upper body, leaving the arms unlit, and possibly getting two 5' premades (in any voltage) for the legs. And maybe two 3 foot wires for the boots.

Anyway: enough talking, more working. I'll keep everyone updated. Gotta love deadlines!

In the case to lengths of 15ft+, a 12v driver is what I see a lot of folks using (unless you want multiple drivers running various sections). I am using one for my 17ft worth of ELWire, but I am also going the Sound Driver route and that does require a 12v battery pack.

ok, I'm hoping not to get hung by my toes for this, but i know it's cheating in terms of costuming. I bought a UD Replica Sam Flynn coat that im wearing to the Premier. In terms of costuming for the future, I am looking for feedback on the idea of using a pair of Rave pant material (a satin-esque polyester ) and having my girlfriend sew me some pants that are loose fitting with a boot-cut leg opening. I'd be wearing them with a pair of all black converse that will be customized with reflective tape accents around the bottom, and the pants would have the reflective tape in the same pattern as the cannon costumes. The opinion I suppose im looking for, is would wearing loose fitting bottoms look cheap/goofy with the UD jacket. I realize that ideally I should wear something that fits the same on the bottom as the top, but i have much shorter legs than i do a torsoe. ( 5'11", 28" pant inseam.) So, my legs are pretty large, and short, which makes pants very awkward for me. any thought would be appreciated.

Okay, my wife oficially nixed my Tron Costume tonight, citing lack of funds, but I got her to come around if I came in under a price point. Okay then, new plan. So here's the deal, and someone make sure and scream if I'm about to make a huge mistake (and not in terms of styling, but rather in terms of "it just won't work, Jay!"):

I'm not going to scratch-make my Vest Armor. Instead I found this Paintball armor called a Proto performance top:

410AAAR17ML.jpg

I like that it has kind of the side swaths of color against black already in the top itself. I also like that alot of armor detailing has already been done for me. It's around $39.

I found some EL wire on Amazon for $12 for 9 Feet, and measuring my front and back Comes in at 4.5 feet, so if I double amount for looping as per Eddie's method, I should have enough for the stripes up the front plust half a foot leftover for extra shapes. I'd like to get 10-12 feet to be safe, but I can't find any that inexpensive that is pre-soldered. I'm gonna get the two 12 volt drivers, because they'll make the wire as bright as can be, which is a plus as I'm already not going to be anywhere near screen accurate. I might as well blind folks to it in the process. I'll then see if I can find a cheap alternative to the under-armor shirt, as well as gloves. I'll hopefully still be able to get forearm and shoulder armor, but that is going to have to be a last minute decision purchase.

For those decrying the use of something with such an obvious logo, don't worry: I'll be getting some of the Foamies sheets from Michaels, in black, which I will apply over the front of the Armor to block the logo as well as fill in the red with a black fabric pen (if I don't decide to integrate the red, which I might in the interest of time).

As for the pants I will still continue to wonder about them, and maybe make them last minute along with possible last minute ordering of any short EL to thread or glue to them to make them semi-illuminated.

I'm gonna go to the Garden store tomorrow and look at planters and planter holders for my IdentDisc for my back, as I've completely forgotten about that up until now.

Anyways, I know I seem like a lot of talk, but I needed to get this out, at least typed, so I know what my gameplan now is. I was (sufficed to say) more than a little pissed this evening when I was told the costume was a no go in my original $250 price point, but with this one coming in at hopefully only a little over $100 or so, That should make the wife happy. Especially since I'll be able to spread it out of 2 paychecks and hopefully a hefty bonus from work for the holidays.

Sorry to litter the board, and pardon the venting. As always, open to suggestion. Just remember that I live in an apartment, have very few power tools, and am not the master costume maker in the family (that would be my spouse).

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!

Okay, my wife oficially nixed my Tron Costume tonight, citing lack of funds, ...
I'm not going to scratch-make my Vest Armor. Instead I found this Paintball armor called a Proto performance top:

410AAAR17ML.jpg

I like that it has kind of the side swaths of color against black already in the top itself. I also like that alot of armor detailing has already been done for me. It's around $39.
>>> Never doubt the power of inspired works. Just because it is not something people will see on screen, I find those same people react better to custom work far moreso than to exact screen copies. <<<

I found some EL wire on Amazon for $12 for 9 Feet (you can find it a tad cheaper, about $1.00 per foot, on main ELWire sites), and measuring my front and back Comes in at 4.5 feet, so if I double amount for looping as per Eddie's method, I should have enough for the stripes up the front plust half a foot leftover for extra shapes. I'd like to get 10-12 feet to be safe, but I can't find any that inexpensive that is pre-soldered. I'm gonna get the two 12 volt drivers >>> 1 driver would be more than enough for that short length. 2 drivers will not make it glow any brighter than it's max 300mah cap <<<, because they'll make the wire as bright as can be, which is a plus as I'm already not going to be anywhere near screen accurate. I might as well blind >>> ELWire will never be bright enough to do anything but glow softly <<< folks to it in the process. I'll then see if I can find a cheap alternative to the under-armor shirt, as well as gloves. I'll hopefully still be able to get forearm and shoulder armor, but that is going to have to be a last minute decision purchase.

For those decrying the use of something with such an obvious logo, don't worry: I'll be getting some of the Foamies sheets from Michaels, in black, which I will apply over the front of the Armor to block the logo as well as fill in the red with a black fabric pen (if I don't decide to integrate the red, which I might in the interest of time).
>>> For the record, as I have seen, Red ELWire glows the most dim of all wire colors, just a heads up. <<<

As for the pants I will still continue to wonder about them, and maybe make them last minute along with possible last minute ordering of any short EL to thread or glue to them to make them semi-illuminated.
>>> With that torso armor, I would suggest thick material tights with some craft foam plates on the thighs and shins. Allows you to float between the looks of Tron1 and Tron2. <<<

I'm gonna go to the Garden store tomorrow and look at planters and planter holders for my IdentDisc for my back, as I've completely forgotten about that up until now.
>>> Ya know, I never thought of that one. I was going to find something else for my friend's hub, but might have to delve in that direction now, ty. <<<

Anyways, I know I seem like a lot of talk, but I needed to get this out, at least typed, so I know what my gameplan now is. I was (sufficed to say) more than a little pissed this evening when I was told the costume was a no go in my original $250 price point, but with this one coming in at hopefully only a little over $100 or so, That should make the wife happy. Especially since I'll be able to spread it out of 2 paychecks and hopefully a hefty bonus from work for the holidays.
>>> This is one more reason I am no longer married. I will go without more food for a few weeks, just to sate my other needs. :love <<<

Sorry to litter the board, and pardon the venting. As always, open to suggestion. Just remember that I live in an apartment, have very few power tools, and am not the master costume maker in the family (that would be my spouse).

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!

>>> Hope these ideas help you sort it out. <<<

Last edited:
Dear Programs, Go to Tron-Sector: Current News Sector for more new footage for TRON Tuesday!
This came out today instead of yesterday. It features the Character of CASTOR with JEM,and SAM. Check out the emerging staircase. I want one of those. If you can make it out, look at the bar in the back. That's STEVE LISBERGER the creator of TRON playing the bartender. Also on TRON SECTOR look at the TRON Light show in London.There's also some new footage at YAHOO MOVIES on TRON LEGACY. Enjoy the late TRON TUESDAY material.
"FLYNN LIVES!" CLU

wiring the back with the disc mount.
scaled.php

possibly velcro to make the el panels removable for repair & replacement?
scaled.php

olivia wilde mentioned during the twit live tron legacy special(that was broadcasted today) about wearing neoprene and rubber. i assume some parts of the back where the disc mount attaches had neoprene based from the 1st pic above. the rubber was probably referring to the moulded foam.

Last edited:
there's a new behind the scenes video on the costumes. one of the new behind the scenes clips show a program with the el shapes more blue and garrett's more whitish-blue -sort of showing there could be different shades in the actual costumes and not necessarily a camera filter effect.

YouTube - Tron: Legacy Innovative Design Bonus Clip (Love it or Hate it?)

There are a couple of different 'natural' EL sheet technologies. The pure white sheeting will glow with a slight blue-ish effect that's visible on my costume. There is another where the blue is more pronounced (aqua).

bM8-BG-2.jpg

72492_498624291398_616036398_7672148_531280_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTntRsYHFqw

In case you have not yet seen it, Disney has been offering those on The Grid to finally put out a quick trailer of themselves in TRON: Legacy (grin).

What you don't see at the end is BlkICE drawing his Lightsword and taking CLU2.0 to the ropes. Never bring an Identity Disc to a Lightsword fight!!!

Last edited:
Question for all using EL: Where did you get your drivers/inverters from? I'm seeing about $8 for a 12V + $4 for the add on 8 AA battery pack. I just hat that the shipping is almost as much as the Inverter itself. If anyone has any better leads on a 12V inverter, please let me know.

Also, Compass, I know you said in some post earlier that there was one place that you will only do business through whenever buying EL supplies, but I can't seem to find it among the 52 PAGES of posts (I even searched the statistics on your profile and couldn't find it). Could you reiterate the website for the company again?

Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back