Tron Legacy Costume

Great idea chiaroscurosity. It looks great and I bet very durable too. In the photo of the glove, you also have a foam rubber like material pressed into the fabric as well. What is that? Is Reflite essentially die-cut iron on reflective film?

Actordiver, I thought the El Capitan would be a good venue to show off the costumes too, Since they also display props at the theater. I can't wait to meet you guys. I'm in H18. I hope we'll see a lot of other fan costumes there too.
I think the red carpet premerr is Dec 11, time TBD.
twinight - Thank you! Yes, Under Armour is very elastic/durable and form fitting without being stuffy. It also insulates from the cold to some degree, which was great on Halloween, being it was chilly that night in SF. Reflite is a reflective film that is cut out (usually by a CAD machine) but since I don't have a machine cutter, I used an X-acto blade to hand-cut all the pieces. I took all of the pieces (labeled in sequence of where they are located on the suit) to a t-shirt shop that let me use their iron to heat-apply the design, which took about 2 hours to complete. Reflite is also durable enough to stretch and holds up surprisingly well at the joints (elbows and knees, especially). I liked how the Reflite looked on fabric, so I ironed some onto craft foam sheets. I cut the foam into shapes and glued them to the gloves. Check out Artdoggie for more details on Reflite.

Hello,
According to a friend of mine, who works as a costume designer, and worked with Soderbergh recently, this might be rubber (latex). There are some en ebay sometimes in many colors, but not very cheap.

The worse of this costumes is sweating. She told me that one time a girl was wearing a latex catsuit and her shoes were so filled with sweat dripping from the inside as if she was walking on water. They had to take off every 30 min and let dry, completely wet.

Another choice might be good quality lycra, or as a super thin 0.5mm neoprene steamer, and paint it in white. I would really don't know what to choose for this costume.
In this particular one, accuracy really fights wearability...

The lycra seems to be what I'm leaning towards....If I had the money and time I'd probably try the latex buuuuttt....ugh it's really out of my element. Plus I agree about wearability lol.....I'll wear a corset all day but the thought of being trapped in a latex bodysuit makes me feel claustrophobic.

PS nice trek costumes!
Hahahaah! Thanks.....sigh I'm a nerd. :$

I believe that is just a spandex heavy weight vinyl. Maybe a metallic liquid vinyl. All you gotta do is shop and shop and shop around till you luck out and find those colors. One is a metallic pearl opal tone silver and the other just silver/grey metallic.

It looks like you live in SOCAL, go to the garment district in Downtown Los Angeles, 9th and Maple and you have struck gold! I buy all my materials from there. It is a fashion designers heaven on earth and just one of the reasons... I LOVE L.A! ;D

I used to go shopping in the garment district but I've never been to that area. I'll definitely check it out thanks! Normally I shop at Mood which I love more then I should....if that area is even better then I'm probably in serious trouble lol!

Hey All! I've been seeing great creations on this thread and wanted to share my small win for Halloween. It's taken me a while to get the time to post.

I bought an Under Armour suit (top and bottom) from a sporting goods store. Ordered a large sheet of Thermoflex RefLite for less than $40 and hand-cut the design, then had a t-shirt shop heat press it to the Under Armour. I was surprised that the suit didn't melt and the heat didn't affect the elasticity of the material. I customized a pair of costume gloves, my helmet and boots and added the identity disc replica. I had also put together a harness for the identity disc from foam sheets, elastic bands and a gas burner liner for magnetic attachment of the disc. I am pleased how it turned out.

Hope you enjoy.
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.52.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.53.28 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.55.17 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.09.23 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.23.21 PM.png

Excellent work! :) Love seeing everyone's costumes!

Finally got my right leg Quorra boot illuminated. Wasn't too difficult of a process. My left boot will have the baton shaft. I don't think she has a light going down the side of that boot.

Only thing is, the tiny light strips down the front of both boots and the back heels and she also has from seeing the more recent pics of her boots tiny little lights right at the top center of each boot.

It will be impossible to string the El Wire to such tiny areas, there will be wires everywhere. I am going to try to find some type of strip LED lights with some sort of battery watch power source for those areas to stick on. Don't even know if something like that exists unless I made the things myself. If I can't find anything, then the reflective tape for those small areas will have to do.

Finally got my right leg Quorra boot illuminated. Wasn't too difficult of a process. My left boot will have the baton shaft. I don't think she has a light going down the side of that boot.

Only thing is, the tiny light strips down the front of both boots and the back heels and she also has from seeing the more recent pics of her boots tiny little lights right at the top center of each boot.

It will be impossible to string the El Wire to such tiny areas, there will be wires everywhere. I am going to try to find some type of strip LED lights with some sort of battery watch power source for those areas to stick on. Don't even know if something like that exists unless I made the things myself. If I can't find anything, then the reflective tape for those small areas will have to do.

Digging it. I couldn't leave well enough alone and started replacing the EL wire on my arms with EL sheeting so everything matches. I think we're in the home stretch and even those of us who have finished are polishing up for our big debut.

Nice Anisse!!
Question, how do the EL strips behave when bending your arms? Did you tested?
I'm not sure this technique would work for me, since I prefer a lot of accuracy on the suit and it really fights the light's integrity. My costume is very tight and I'm afraid wiring wouldn't survive more than two wears.

Other choice would be the same as in the movie, adding the lights after putting on the suit. But I don't know how, since velcro wouldn't work. Maybe double-sided tape...auch, my brain hurts.

The lycra seems to be what I'm leaning towards....If I had the money and time I'd probably try the latex buuuuttt....ugh it's really out of my element. Plus I agree about wearability lol.....I'll wear a corset all day but the thought of being trapped in a latex bodysuit makes me feel claustrophobic.

Hahahaah! Thanks.....sigh I'm a nerd. :$

I used to go shopping in the garment district but I've never been to that area. I'll definitely check it out thanks! Normally I shop at Mood which I love more then I should....if that area is even better then I'm probably in serious trouble lol!

if you wear a catsuit just wear a bodystocking underneath... it mostly solves the dripping sweat issue b/c it separates the vinyl from the skin

Hey everyone! I know a lot of us are going to the Friday premiere, but I was also thinking maybe later we could go to the El Capitan theater at some point too, Maybe after the 1st of the year, do another get together when even more people have their costumes finished. If 20 or more want to go we can get a group discount. My roommate got a cool flier in the mail today.

when is the official premiere?

Why couldn't you string elwire down? hide some speakerwire under electrical tape on the outside of your boot to get to the heel/toe.

Why couldn't you string elwire down? hide some speakerwire under electrical tape on the outside of your boot to get to the heel/toe.

I probably could but there seriously will be wire everywhere, then having to deal with where to hide it and potential of those wires and soldering connections breaking.

This is all risky enough as it is.

Ugh... I typed this whole message and then the system logged me out, so here's an abbreviated version. :lol

- New here. Hi!
- Joined up to speak to the pros about making a Tron Legacy costume. Not time sensitive, want it for Halloween next year.
- Idea is an undersuit with a neoprene oversuit, but I want to cut the leggings up to get the "chaps" effect in this image of Sam - http://clothesonfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GARRETT.jpg. Would neoprene hold up to this kind of abuse without additional tearing?
- Is Aquaseal strong enough to bond accent pieces to neoprene and hold them?

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I probably could but there seriously will be wire everywhere, then having to deal with where to hide it and potential of those wires and soldering connections breaking.

This is all risky enough as it is.

Yeah the wires do get messy. I do think it would be a good workaround if you have time.

I'm putting short lengths of regular wire in all the flexible joints (elbows etc) to reduce risk of breaking any elwire... Trying to keep elwire strictly reserved to non-bending places, even considering putting in like 1cm segment of regular wire for the chest strips where they would bend as I move my torso about.. I would hope that the regular wire wouldn't break all that quickly from bending/motion.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back