Tron Legacy Costume

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say thank you for all the great posts and information. I've been reading up for the past week or so of everything you've put together, I too am attempting a Tron Legacy costume for Halloween and Tron premiere in Dec. I'm going to try and make it a bit more of my own design and colors (green) not quite as movie accurate as you all, but I hope it turns out well. Please forgive any newbie questions and lack of pure movie authenticity in my costume (but heck its all in fun right?)

So I have a leather motorcycle jacket that I'm going to try and convert to the Light tape style. I'm even going to try and get over to Camarillo to the light tape plant so I can see if it's possible to cut and re-attach the light shapes in angles. Not to mention figure out the whole cost of making this darn thing. I'll post pictures of my design when I get them. Fingers crossed I wont be out too much cash doing this. ;)

Its totally all in fun Actordiver!

I want my costume to be really awesome and I'm kind of anticipating not being able to fund the whole thing this year. But if so, I think I'll just get the helmet, gloves and boots and be Leisure Suit Rinzler or somethin' LOL

HDDoobie, I could be wrong but I think those gaps in the lighted sections on the arms are a functional element for the purpose of filming high movement scenes like fight scenes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember reading from one of the set visit articles that they were filming a fight scene between Sam and Quorra and the Black Guard that day. So that promo image that shows the gaps in lighting on the arms may be a "high-mobility" version of the costume that Garrett had to wear, whereas the suit displayed in the ARG End Of Line Club during Comic-Con may have been a "presentation" version, per se. I think the full-size Lightcycle mockup they displayed last year has the same "presentation" look. To me, there seems to be a lack of detail in the "presentation" suits, but then again, I haven't seen them up close.

For my costume, I'm going with the gaps look, because that allows me to have two shorter pieces of EL strips instead of one long continuous one. That way, it eliminates running an EL strip across the stress point of the elbow, and possibly breaking a connection and/or shorting out a lit section.

Actordiver, I'd be interested to hear what the LightTape people say about cutting and re-attaching the light shapes at different angles. I know that the EL sheets I ordered supposedly can be overlapped for a continuous field of light. I'm also wondering if LightTape can be altered in a similar fashion.

And DangerIMMN, if you go the Leisure Suit Rinzler route, you've GOT to take pictures and post them! LOL! ;)

Its totally all in fun Actordiver!

I want my costume to be really awesome and I'm kind of anticipating not being able to fund the whole thing this year. But if so, I think I'll just get the helmet, gloves and boots and be Leisure Suit Rinzler or somethin' LOL

LOL. Love it! Leisure Suit TRON!! I think we could start a whole new trend!! ;)

Hey - I went to a motorcycle shop yesterday to try on some helmets. I'm worried that a standard motorcycle helmet might seem too big when compared to the Rinzler helmet? Anyone else feel the same way?

Yeah Rinzler's is more form fitting. I'm currently working on specs of the size it is to someones head, and the dimensions for building it. I'll post it for download when I'm done.

I'm thinking about construction will be a cardboard mock-up, then a polymer clay sculpture on top of that, with the final helmet being vacuum formed pieces that are later assembled.

I think for the helmet lights you can get away with led's and a small battery pack.

Last edited:
Tron%20Legacy%20Arms.png

The "suit" on display at the end of the line club for SDCC was really more of a statue. The materials were very different, like hard plastic and I noticed it was missing a lot of details when I inspected it up close. It's not a screen used suit at all IMO. Plus the lights were insanely bright and not EL technology from what I could tell.

OMG, that will be awesome! Definitely keep us updated. Or hell, just keep ME updated. The helmet is the part I've kind of been obsessing over, and since I tried on the helmets, I've been sooo worried I wouldn't have any way to make one besides hiring someone. Well, I still might have to do that, but I'm betting there's a RPF member in the SF bay area that might be willing to help.

HDDoobie, I could be wrong but I think those gaps in the lighted sections on the arms are a functional element for the purpose of filming high movement scenes like fight scenes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember reading from one of the set visit articles that they were filming a fight scene between Sam and Quorra and the Black Guard that day. So that promo image that shows the gaps in lighting on the arms may be a "high-mobility" version of the costume that Garrett had to wear, whereas the suit displayed in the ARG End Of Line Club during Comic-Con may have been a "presentation" version, per se. I think the full-size Lightcycle mockup they displayed last year has the same "presentation" look. To me, there seems to be a lack of detail in the "presentation" suits, but then again, I haven't seen them up close.

For my costume, I'm going with the gaps look, because that allows me to have two shorter pieces of EL strips instead of one long continuous one. That way, it eliminates running an EL strip across the stress point of the elbow, and possibly breaking a connection and/or shorting out a lit section.

Actordiver, I'd be interested to hear what the LightTape people say about cutting and re-attaching the light shapes at different angles. I know that the EL sheets I ordered supposedly can be overlapped for a continuous field of light. I'm also wondering if LightTape can be altered in a similar fashion.

And DangerIMMN, if you go the Leisure Suit Rinzler route, you've GOT to take pictures and post them! LOL! ;)

Hey everyone. So the Light Tape plant in Camerillo is no longer there. :( So I called the east coast and talked to a very cool guy who gave me some info:

1) Light Tape can not be trimmed or cut to make shapes or angles, once you cut it, the light won't function (unless of course you're just trimming it down obviously)

2)You can't reattach it to another piece, you need a whole other wire back to the converter if you want to run different angled pieces.

3) The price (and this was just an estimate for what I was looking for) a 2" strip in the outdoor style in neon green was about 15 dollars per foot.

He suggested the outdoor type cause it holds up to movement a little better. They actually did the clothing for the Superbowl 1/2 time show (with Prince) a few years ago if anyone remembers (I do vaguely)

So this might change the design of my costume a bit but it also seems a bit more affordable than what I had assumed. So we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Oh also, Light Panels (different company) dont have the darker neon green I was hoping for, except in a custom order. Just an FYI for anyone else who wanted a different style.

Justin :)

Here is what I have been working on with Rinzler helmet plans. This was made with the reference pics provided here and in the last two trailers.

Here are the side front and back of the helmet. Since I wasn't there at SDCC I can't confirm how accurate this is based on memory. I feel like it's at least 70% right though.
1930-rinzler-helmet-plans1.jpg

Here is a view of the size it is on a head and the lines of the design.
1931-rinzler-helmet-plans2.jpg

If anyone who has seen the helmet in person, please let me know if it needs to be modified.

Man! Such a bounty of information here!

Most standard motorcycle helmets, by their very nature, are way too thick and you'll just end up looking like 'The Stig's Computer World Cousin' ie your head will look huge.
I MIGHT, however, take the visor off one and incorporate it into another helmet.

It may be an issue of Safety Standards between countries, but I think unless you're willing to spend a lot of doe to find a motorcycle helmet with a thinner crumple zone, you won't find anything that will suit.
That said, those aerodynamic hang glider/cycle racing helmets look awesome!

Also, has anyone thought about attempting the technique that Volpin is using for the AWESOME Daft Punk Helmet in this thread??

In terms of EL lighting, wiring is probably the cheapest, although you'll have to find a way around the whole 'it doesn't look like a panel' problem.

Some EL Panels are cuttable, but from what I've seen on overseas websites, they cost a LOT and don't really give you a lot to play with.

EL Tape would be a logical choice too but they're again not much to work with for the cost.

If money is no object, you could just get an EL company to custom make the panels for you.

Personally, I'm going to keep trying with the EL Wire. If anyone else is using EL Wire, please share your stories too!

Pharon66 - those images are amazing! How do you do that?

I'm looking at the helmet now and wondering how someone is supposed to take it off and put it on. Probably the top detaches from the bottom somehow. But that is totally beyond my current engineering abilities.

Pharon66 - those images are amazing! How do you do that?

I'm looking at the helmet now and wondering how someone is supposed to take it off and put it on. Probably the top detaches from the bottom somehow. But that is totally beyond my current engineering abilities.

I'm kind of a photoshop wiz.

But I think we can use Led's and cover them with plastic to diffuse them for the helmets. It would be alot cheaper that way.

I'm sure the helmet works like most. It's more form fitting, but the space at the bottom is enough to push it on your head easily and have a snug fit. Like most helmets, it's full of cushion.

On a kind of unrelated note; If anyone wants an encom employee badge you can get it here:Flynn Lives
You just sign up, use your picture and they send you a free encom I.d.
Here is mine.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs378.snc4/46152_1363359252504_1487296994_30823396_6373094_n.jpg

hi guys,
ok so i have been thinking about how to wire my the el panels together, clearly wire is going to be a problem since all the panels have to run from various places on my body to the power supply on my back so i was thinking about using curly cable like telephone cable except thinner and smaller but i havent been able to find any online that i can buy in made to measure lengths, does anyone know where i might get some?perhaps im just using the wrong key words in my searches. also do you think it would handle the ac current of the panels?
i think the curly cable is a good idea as it has a bit of movement and stretch in it which i think will come in handy when sitting down or bending joints

thoughts?

Ok, whenever I've made costumes in the past, it was fabric and accessories.

Never plastic or rubber.

Whats the next step(s) for modeling the helmet?

Well there are many ways to go about this, but I'm going to print this out the get the head in the picture to match the size of my head. From there it's a cardboard mockup. I say if you can't do it in cardboard, you can't do it in much else.

Then I would coat it in polymer clay, like sculpey firm. and sculpt out the details. At that point I bake the clay with a heat gun for 10 min. and Sand it with progressively higher grit sandpaper to make sure it's smooth.

After that I'm not sure if I want to then I make a reverse mold of it with silicone rubber and make a hollow rotocast of that helmet with a fast curing resin
or
cut the mockup into pieces and vacuum form each of those pieces and assemble it later. I'm trying to keep it cheap.
I don't want to spend more than $170 on the helmet, and more than $200 on the costume.

I'll be sure to post pics or create a thread as I'm doing this though.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back