Subscribe
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Aug 12, 2010, 2:30 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #126

Just found this - concept art by Neville Page based on Harrison Ellenshaw, who worked on Tron, presented on SDCC and "Art behind Images":
    From
    Earth
    Aug 12, 2010, 3:46 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #127

MrSinistar said: View Post
    Here ya go.
    Thanks for your help.

One other thing: I'm trying to figure out in the parts I circled on the helmet why on one it is lit up but on the big bottom one it is not lit up?

I just found these too where it shows those areas are lit up:

It's weird why in that one promo shot the light on the helmet are not lit up.
  3. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Aug 12, 2010, 4:06 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #128

Batt supply? forgot to turn on one of 10 light? lose wire?
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 12, 2010, 6:36 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #129

BumblebeeRecycd said: View Post
    Could have been any of those but I suspect that they either turned them off or photoshopped them out for the composition of the shot - there's already so much lighted, glowy stuff in the shot it is getting cluttered. Getting rid of that light helps the close up look better.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 12, 2010, 7:07 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #130

QUANTUM CREATIONS FX - List of Answers to Get from Q C FX (post any other questions if you got 'em):

What were some of the difficulties/surprises of working with the Elastolite material?

What were some of the materials & fabrics (or found items) that they used for the costumes (both gladiator armor and civilian clothing)? Specifically, what material was used to make the rubber-looking armor of the suits?

Who designed the hexagon 3D print/the underbody fabric of their costumes and who we can contact to get our hands on it?

Were the discs, batons, helmets, etc. also lit with Elastolite for consistancy or something else?

Thats all I have so far.
    Last edited by DangerIMMN; Aug 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Aug 12, 2010, 8:15 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #131

Thanks for posting that image, YenChih. I was looking for that, but forgot where I found it.

As for the "slot" in the Disc Wars helmet, the only time it's not glowing is in the promo shot (probably an error or something), so I say that area should glow (if you want the helmet to be movie accurate).

I really hope Quantum answers some of our questions. That would be really awesome.
    From
    Earth
    Aug 13, 2010, 8:59 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #132

HDDoobie said: View Post
    Thanks for your help.

On the bottom image with him holding the Disc, is that a reflection from lights above shinning on the center part of his helmet? That's what I am assuming. (Not the circled area on the bottom image, I'm referring just to the left of the circled area on the bottom image. I just reused the same image. I hope that didn't confuse anyone.)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by HDDoobie; Aug 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM.
    From
    Earth
    Aug 13, 2010, 9:33 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #133

Hope this is the last question for you all Sorry.

This is in regards to the arms on the costume. As you can see below the images from the promo photo and a behind the scenes photo there is a gap in the lights on the arms. But then the replica suit that on display at Comic Con there is no gap on the arm lights. Is the replica suit on display just a normal user suit or was it supposed to be a replica of Sam Flynn's suit?

Thanks again in advance for your help.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 13, 2010, 9:44 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #134

On the bottom image with him holding the Disc, is that a reflection from lights above shinning on the center part of his helmet? That's what I am assuming. (Not the circled area on the bottom image, I'm referring just to the left of the circled area on the bottom image. I just reused the same image. I hope that didn't confuse anyone.)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.
    Its a reflection. 'Nuff said.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 13, 2010, 9:49 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #135

Hope this is the last question for you all Sorry.

This is in regards to the arms on the costume. As you can see below the images from the promo photo and a behind the scenes photo there is a gap in the lights on the arms. But then the replica suit that on display at Comic Con there is no gap on the arm lights. Is the replica suit on display just a normal user suit or was it supposed to be a replica of Sam Flynn's suit?

Thanks again in advance for your help.
    Its supposed to be a replica of Sam's suit - no two suits are alike, although they may be similar. My thinking is that the gap in the light on Sam's suit was a little detail they forgot to include on the replicas.
    From
    Earth
    Aug 13, 2010, 9:55 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #136

DangerIMMN said: View Post
    Its a reflection. 'Nuff said.
    Thanks

Its supposed to be a replica of Sam's suit - no two suits are alike, although they may be similar. My thinking is that the gap in the light on Sam's suit was a little detail they forgot to include on the replicas.
    Thanks a lot DangerIMMN for clearing these both up for me.

Thanks again for your time.

Sorry for earlier; I didn't notice these comments:
    BumblebeeRecycd said: View Post
    Could have been any of those but I suspect that they either turned them off or photoshopped them out for the composition of the shot - there's already so much lighted, glowy stuff in the shot it is getting cluttered. Getting rid of that light helps the close up look better.
    I didn't realize this was supposed to be in response to me. I guess BumblebeeRecycd forgot to use to the "reply" button and I didn't notice the comment or DangerIMMN's response to that comment either. Sorry my bad guys
    Last edited by HDDoobie; Aug 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 13, 2010, 11:22 AM - Email to Quantum Creations FX #137

Impressed with your Work!

Hi Deedee,

I'm sure you're getting a lot of this right now - but I've soo been impressed with the costumes Quantum Creations FX has created for the upcoming Tron Legacy movie (and your previous movies)! I've seen the trailers and I was at Comic Con last month and got to see some costumes up close. They just look so awesome and otherwordly. I can't wait for the release date! Keep up the good work.

Myself and quite a few others on the Replica Movie Prop Forum (therpf.com) are very excited to try and make our own Tron Legacy costumes either for Halloween or for the movie release! I was wondering if you or someone at Quantum Creation FX might be able to answer a few questions and help us out? We would appreciate it so much.

1- What were some of the difficulties/surprises of working with the Elastolite material?

2 - What were some of the materials & fabrics (or found items) that they used for the costumes (both gladiator armor and civilian clothing)? Specifically, what materials were used to make the armor of the suits and the softer under-suits?

3 - Who designed the hexagon 3D print/the underbody fabric of their costumes and who we can contact to get our hands on it?

4 - Were the discs, batons, helmets, etc. also lit with Elastolite for consistancy, or if not, how were they lit?

5 - Were the actors unable to sit down between takes because the costumes were so tight and multi-layered, or because the wiring for the costume lighting might break if they did? Or both?

Ok, thats it. Don't want to take up too much of your time. If you'd/they'd rather not type all this out in email, feel free to give me a call: XXX-XXX-5655. Thanks for helping us geek out!
    Last edited by DangerIMMN; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 14, 2010, 11:34 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #138

carboxyll said: View Post
    I managed to find this helmet at a thrift store for $5 It was worth it to take a risk on it. I know its not the exact helmet, but right now its on the backburner.

I have 3 of the little LED holders for the inside cut, I was going to wire it to some switch to have them turn on off.

Also I am going to tale all the neck support padding out and beef this thing up withsome Lithium ion batteries. The suit and the tron disc i'm building have batteries too but I was thinking to plug into this battery bank to recharge everything.

Here were my thoughts...
    1. I was going to either go LED or EL wire on the back of it but I am waiting to find a good way to diffuse the light.
    2. Spray some insulation foam ro the back of it to get the correct contour.
    3. scrap the whole idea.

right now I am trying to finish the tron disc, then suit. then the helmet. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I do all my LED prototyping with a USB cable, if you decide to do this make sure you use 100ohm resistor for white or blue LEDs, but on the Arduino it outputs 3.3v so no resistor is needed
    Hey Carboxyll, any updates on your helmet?
    From
    Atlanta, Ga
    Aug 15, 2010, 2:17 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #139

YenChih Lin said: View Post
    Like these? I found them while surfing for the last posted billboard pictures.

Rinzler's Helmet:
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/7098/tron007.jpg
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4920/tron008.jpg
    You have made my day. Thank you so much! You are Awesome!
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Aug 15, 2010, 6:15 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #140

Thanks. Always like to help...
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 15, 2010, 1:22 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #141

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say thank you for all the great posts and information. I've been reading up for the past week or so of everything you've put together, I too am attempting a Tron Legacy costume for Halloween and Tron premiere in Dec. I'm going to try and make it a bit more of my own design and colors (green) not quite as movie accurate as you all, but I hope it turns out well. Please forgive any newbie questions and lack of pure movie authenticity in my costume (but heck its all in fun right?)

So I have a leather motorcycle jacket that I'm going to try and convert to the Light tape style. I'm even going to try and get over to Camarillo to the light tape plant so I can see if it's possible to cut and re-attach the light shapes in angles. Not to mention figure out the whole cost of making this darn thing. I'll post pictures of my design when I get them. Fingers crossed I wont be out too much cash doing this.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 15, 2010, 7:04 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #142

Its totally all in fun Actordiver!

I want my costume to be really awesome and I'm kind of anticipating not being able to fund the whole thing this year. But if so, I think I'll just get the helmet, gloves and boots and be Leisure Suit Rinzler or somethin' LOL
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    From
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Aug 15, 2010, 9:23 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #143

HDDoobie, I could be wrong but I think those gaps in the lighted sections on the arms are a functional element for the purpose of filming high movement scenes like fight scenes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember reading from one of the set visit articles that they were filming a fight scene between Sam and Quorra and the Black Guard that day. So that promo image that shows the gaps in lighting on the arms may be a "high-mobility" version of the costume that Garrett had to wear, whereas the suit displayed in the ARG End Of Line Club during Comic-Con may have been a "presentation" version, per se. I think the full-size Lightcycle mockup they displayed last year has the same "presentation" look. To me, there seems to be a lack of detail in the "presentation" suits, but then again, I haven't seen them up close.

For my costume, I'm going with the gaps look, because that allows me to have two shorter pieces of EL strips instead of one long continuous one. That way, it eliminates running an EL strip across the stress point of the elbow, and possibly breaking a connection and/or shorting out a lit section.

Actordiver, I'd be interested to hear what the LightTape people say about cutting and re-attaching the light shapes at different angles. I know that the EL sheets I ordered supposedly can be overlapped for a continuous field of light. I'm also wondering if LightTape can be altered in a similar fashion.

And DangerIMMN, if you go the Leisure Suit Rinzler route, you've GOT to take pictures and post them! LOL!
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 15, 2010, 11:00 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #144

Its totally all in fun Actordiver!

I want my costume to be really awesome and I'm kind of anticipating not being able to fund the whole thing this year. But if so, I think I'll just get the helmet, gloves and boots and be Leisure Suit Rinzler or somethin' LOL

LOL. Love it! Leisure Suit TRON!! I think we could start a whole new trend!!
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 16, 2010, 12:08 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #145

Hey - I went to a motorcycle shop yesterday to try on some helmets. I'm worried that a standard motorcycle helmet might seem too big when compared to the Rinzler helmet? Anyone else feel the same way?
    From
    Atlanta, Ga
    Aug 16, 2010, 1:42 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #146

Yeah Rinzler's is more form fitting. I'm currently working on specs of the size it is to someones head, and the dimensions for building it. I'll post it for download when I'm done.

I'm thinking about construction will be a cardboard mock-up, then a polymer clay sculpture on top of that, with the final helmet being vacuum formed pieces that are later assembled.

I think for the helmet lights you can get away with led's and a small battery pack.
    Last edited by pharon66; Aug 16, 2010 at 1:47 AM.
  22. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    Aug 16, 2010, 1:11 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #147

The "suit" on display at the end of the line club for SDCC was really more of a statue. The materials were very different, like hard plastic and I noticed it was missing a lot of details when I inspected it up close. It's not a screen used suit at all IMO. Plus the lights were insanely bright and not EL technology from what I could tell.
    From
    Houston, TX
    Aug 16, 2010, 3:48 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #148

OMG, that will be awesome! Definitely keep us updated. Or hell, just keep ME updated. The helmet is the part I've kind of been obsessing over, and since I tried on the helmets, I've been sooo worried I wouldn't have any way to make one besides hiring someone. Well, I still might have to do that, but I'm betting there's a RPF member in the SF bay area that might be willing to help.
    Aug 16, 2010, 4:20 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #149

I can try to model Rinzler's helmet in Blender. But I'm not much of a modeler. I'll try anyways.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 16, 2010, 7:02 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #150

HooDooMan1 said: View Post
    HDDoobie, I could be wrong but I think those gaps in the lighted sections on the arms are a functional element for the purpose of filming high movement scenes like fight scenes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember reading from one of the set visit articles that they were filming a fight scene between Sam and Quorra and the Black Guard that day. So that promo image that shows the gaps in lighting on the arms may be a "high-mobility" version of the costume that Garrett had to wear, whereas the suit displayed in the ARG End Of Line Club during Comic-Con may have been a "presentation" version, per se. I think the full-size Lightcycle mockup they displayed last year has the same "presentation" look. To me, there seems to be a lack of detail in the "presentation" suits, but then again, I haven't seen them up close.

For my costume, I'm going with the gaps look, because that allows me to have two shorter pieces of EL strips instead of one long continuous one. That way, it eliminates running an EL strip across the stress point of the elbow, and possibly breaking a connection and/or shorting out a lit section.

Actordiver, I'd be interested to hear what the LightTape people say about cutting and re-attaching the light shapes at different angles. I know that the EL sheets I ordered supposedly can be overlapped for a continuous field of light. I'm also wondering if LightTape can be altered in a similar fashion.

And DangerIMMN, if you go the Leisure Suit Rinzler route, you've GOT to take pictures and post them! LOL!

Hey everyone. So the Light Tape plant in Camerillo is no longer there. So I called the east coast and talked to a very cool guy who gave me some info:

1) Light Tape can not be trimmed or cut to make shapes or angles, once you cut it, the light won't function (unless of course you're just trimming it down obviously)

2)You can't reattach it to another piece, you need a whole other wire back to the converter if you want to run different angled pieces.

3) The price (and this was just an estimate for what I was looking for) a 2" strip in the outdoor style in neon green was about 15 dollars per foot.

He suggested the outdoor type cause it holds up to movement a little better. They actually did the clothing for the Superbowl 1/2 time show (with Prince) a few years ago if anyone remembers (I do vaguely)

So this might change the design of my costume a bit but it also seems a bit more affordable than what I had assumed. So we'll see. Fingers crossed.

Oh also, Light Panels (different company) dont have the darker neon green I was hoping for, except in a custom order. Just an FYI for anyone else who wanted a different style.

Justin