Tron Legacy Costume

Polyurethane sealant - Strong adhesion, Permanently elastic, paintable

blows away velco, tape, hot glue made for adding spoilers. bumpers I use it for everything DONT get it on your hand take forever to get off use glove.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Tron Costume. Is anyone going to any Bay area Premieres in costume I was thinking about the Metreon but Would have to believe that we need to turn the costume off prior to film starting since most people dont want a giant blue light in their eyes as they are trying to watch the movie.

YouTube - Tron Legacy DIY Costume Flynn type

Amazing what a dozen feet of wire and some power systems can do. :eek

Well done.

You can use a wide clear tape or black duck tape and simply tape over the poster board, this way it will be strong and it will not tear when you adhere it to your suit.

Yes, this is good, the only thing is I must test to see if a black duct tape, clear tape or any type of tape for that matter in the back of the poster board will adhere with the cement to the latex chest and arm armor.

I use this Compound Adhesive and sealant based on Polyurethane which cures by atmospheric moisture and is then painted over.

• Strong adhesion
• Permanently elastic
• vibration
• paintable
• Silicone free
• Non-corrosive
• weather and UV resistant
• resistant to dilute acids and alkalis
• odor
its in black I use it for everything its really strong most hardware stores have it fixed cars, speakers clothes shoes boots its great I get this one here in germany its like 16$ but its worth it this one is Petec K&D Karosserie Klebe

Be perfect for puting on these strips

The problem with velcro is that it is thicker and won't let the tape sit as flush to the costume and sometimes tend to lift at areas that flex. If I were to glue, I would use contact cement. Mask the surrounding latex areas with tape that you don't want the glue oozing out on. Then you can brush it on both surfaces. After air drying a few minutes, Apply it to the costume and immediately remove the masking. To avoid masking, I've also had luck brushing it on one surface only, apply it on the other surface to get the cement on it. Remove and let air dry for a few minutes before permanently attaching.

Dear Fellow Programs. go to http// disney.go.com and check out a scene with Alan and Sam. Where Alan gives him the keys. Not much else going on for Tron Tuesday! Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your sugguestions. I may go with the contact cement idea. I have scraps of my latex I am using to make my chest and arm armor, will make a test strip with just the posterboard and black duct tape to see if it adheres to the latex with the contact cement.

Yes, I really do not want to use any type of velcro because it does lift off the sides (is what I currently have on my Quorra arm armor to hold it down, and the strip will not be flush to the suit armor. I want my strips as flat stuck onto the armor as possible. Quorra's lights are slightly embeddeded into her foam rubber chest and arm armor. Impossible for me to do with 1.0mm latex, I can't dig any material out cuz there's too little to work with. UGGGGGH! I am too anal and like to drive myself crazy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!!!!! Finally problem sloved! Forget making your own Tron costume, just order this!!! :lol

Tron: Costume @ Forbidden Planet

What's this? No Quorra costume Bummer. I wonder If it lights up and does it come with a helmet? I wonder? I'll have to E-mail them. Hey Annisse, I think you can do a Quorra helmet very easy. Get a STAR WARS clone Trooper helmet and spray paint it black, cover the eyepiece, add some white strips from an auto supply store and your done!
Hey they also have the DAFT PUNK outfits. But they will only be available in June of 2011. Bummer!

Last edited:
Maybe you can "fake" this embedded strips putting some thin rubber tape on the sides of the lights, istead of the regular black tape.
Or cut the latex where the lights go, and place the light edges under the latex in those cuts.

Thanks so much for your sugguestions. I may go with the contact cement idea. I have scraps of my latex I am using to make my chest and arm armor, will make a test strip with just the posterboard and black duct tape to see if it adheres to the latex with the contact cement.

Yes, I really do not want to use any type of velcro because it does lift off the sides (is what I currently have on my Quorra arm armor to hold it down, and the strip will not be flush to the suit armor. I want my strips as flat stuck onto the armor as possible. Quorra's lights are slightly embeddeded into her foam rubber chest and arm armor. Impossible for me to do with 1.0mm latex, I can't dig any material out cuz there's too little to work with. UGGGGGH! I am too anal and like to drive myself crazy :D

Last edited:
Here is the second part of that article about how they created the costumes:

Tron Legacy: Light Suit Costume - Part 2 | Clothes on Film

"Hedlund’s primary costume is a disc game suit. It was far and away the most difficult for associate costume designer Christine Bieselin Clark and her team to get light into and unsurprisingly it also ate the most ?? battery life, lasting only 10 minutes per charge maximum."

"Sitting down was also impossible due to the fragility of the light connectors. Instead stand-up ‘resting boards’ were made for Hedlund and others to relax on between takes."

Holy crap. :eek

If this is not one of the most well thought out, extreme and creative fashion films, I'd be shocked if it does not pull in awards for Costume and Special Effects this year.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread for a while and mining ideas to help my little sister build her Gem costume. She ended up going with the reflective tape for the lights and ran short on time to prep for Halloween, but here's what she ended up with:

74586_1530078170801_1200122820_31177907_4014711_n.jpg

I've been trying to talk her into re-engineering the lights and finishing the whole thing up, but this one might end up getting shelved.

I've been following this thread for a while and mining ideas to help my little sister build her Gem costume. She ended up going with the reflective tape for the lights and ran short on time to prep for Halloween, but here's what she ended up with:

74586_1530078170801_1200122820_31177907_4014711_n.jpg

I've been trying to talk her into re-engineering the lights and finishing the whole thing up, but this one might end up getting shelved.

Wow ...Great Job on your costume!!!:cool

I'm having some issues with what to use for a hub. Also, how to connect it to the armor... A friend just started working on a Siren costume and is dumbfounded at how she is going to mount her disk and hub to her spandex suit.

Any advice?
I think I might be making this a bit more difficult than it actually is.

Last edited:
Might be difficult to picture, but this is what I would do.
Wear a cross-strapped shoulder harness under the lycra (similar to a shoulder holster harness.) Attached several Neodium magnets onto the straps where the hub would go. Attach corresponding magnets on the hub to sandwich the lycra costume in between. No cutting or sagging of the fabric.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back