Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Nov 27, 2010, 6:29 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1251

Eveningarwen said: View Post
    The lycra seems to be what I'm leaning towards....If I had the money and time I'd probably try the latex buuuuttt....ugh it's really out of my element. Plus I agree about wearability lol.....I'll wear a corset all day but the thought of being trapped in a latex bodysuit makes me feel claustrophobic.

Hahahaah! Thanks.....sigh I'm a nerd.

I used to go shopping in the garment district but I've never been to that area. I'll definitely check it out thanks! Normally I shop at Mood which I love more then I should....if that area is even better then I'm probably in serious trouble lol!

if you wear a catsuit just wear a bodystocking underneath... it mostly solves the dripping sweat issue b/c it separates the vinyl from the skin
  2. SUESYLVESTER is offline SUESYLVESTER
    Nov 28, 2010, 3:29 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1252

actordiver said: View Post
    Hey everyone! I know a lot of us are going to the Friday premiere, but I was also thinking maybe later we could go to the El Capitan theater at some point too, Maybe after the 1st of the year, do another get together when even more people have their costumes finished. If 20 or more want to go we can get a group discount. My roommate got a cool flier in the mail today.
    when is the official premiere?
    From
    Los Angeles
    Nov 28, 2010, 3:36 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1253

SUESYLVESTER said: View Post
    when is the official premiere?

we are headed to the universal citywalk for the IMAX 3d showing at 7pm on friday the 17th. I'm H16 and there are a bunch of others on H as well.

let's get the entire auditorium filled with costumes..light up or not.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Nov 28, 2010, 4:19 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1254

Annisse said: View Post
    Finally got my right leg Quorra boot illuminated. Wasn't too difficult of a process. My left boot will have the baton shaft. I don't think she has a light going down the side of that boot.

Only thing is, the tiny light strips down the front of both boots and the back heels and she also has from seeing the more recent pics of her boots tiny little lights right at the top center of each boot.

It will be impossible to string the El Wire to such tiny areas, there will be wires everywhere. I am going to try to find some type of strip LED lights with some sort of battery watch power source for those areas to stick on. Don't even know if something like that exists unless I made the things myself. If I can't find anything, then the reflective tape for those small areas will have to do.
    Why couldn't you string elwire down? hide some speakerwire under electrical tape on the outside of your boot to get to the heel/toe.
    From
    Hollywood, CA
    Nov 28, 2010, 7:20 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1255

Aoiree said: View Post
    Why couldn't you string elwire down? hide some speakerwire under electrical tape on the outside of your boot to get to the heel/toe.

I probably could but there seriously will be wire everywhere, then having to deal with where to hide it and potential of those wires and soldering connections breaking.

This is all risky enough as it is.
  6. RPF Premium Member MorbidCharlie's Avatar
    From
    D/FW, Texas
    Nov 28, 2010, 12:32 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1256

Ugh... I typed this whole message and then the system logged me out, so here's an abbreviated version.

- New here. Hi!
    - Joined up to speak to the pros about making a Tron Legacy costume. Not time sensitive, want it for Halloween next year.
    - Idea is an undersuit with a neoprene oversuit, but I want to cut the leggings up to get the "chaps" effect in this image of Sam - http://clothesonfilm.com/wp-content/...09/GARRETT.jpg. Would neoprene hold up to this kind of abuse without additional tearing?
    - Is Aquaseal strong enough to bond accent pieces to neoprene and hold them?

Thanks for any feedback, I appreciate it!
    Last edited by MorbidCharlie; Nov 28, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Nov 28, 2010, 1:20 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1257

has anyone seen the game tron evolution for the consoles, it has a character named gibson..
    cant find any pictures on him but it would make a real cool costume

Tron Evolution Xbox Live Avatar Items | Galleries | Joystiq
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Nov 28, 2010, 10:43 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1258

MannyP said: View Post
    has anyone seen the game tron evolution for the consoles, it has a character named gibson..

I tried looking everywhere for any info on him. He looks like a cross breed of the virus and Alex Mercer from Prototype.
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Nov 28, 2010, 11:09 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1259

I tried looking everywhere for any info on him. He looks like a cross breed of the virus and Alex Mercer from Prototype.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Nov 29, 2010, 12:34 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1260

Annisse said: View Post
    I probably could but there seriously will be wire everywhere, then having to deal with where to hide it and potential of those wires and soldering connections breaking.

This is all risky enough as it is.

Yeah the wires do get messy. I do think it would be a good workaround if you have time.

I'm putting short lengths of regular wire in all the flexible joints (elbows etc) to reduce risk of breaking any elwire... Trying to keep elwire strictly reserved to non-bending places, even considering putting in like 1cm segment of regular wire for the chest strips where they would bend as I move my torso about.. I would hope that the regular wire wouldn't break all that quickly from bending/motion.
    Last edited by Aoiree; Nov 29, 2010 at 4:42 AM.
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    NYC, NY
    Nov 29, 2010, 4:53 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1261

Aoiree said: View Post
    Yeah the wires do get messy. I do think it would be a good workaround if you have time.

I'm putting short lengths of regular wire in all the flexible joints (elbows etc) to reduce risk of breaking any elwire... Trying to keep elwire strictly reserved to non-bending places, even considering putting in like 1cm segment of regular wire for the chest strips where they would bend as I move my torso about.. I would hope that the regular wire wouldn't break all that quickly from bending/motion.
    In general use (as I have experienced), EL Wire will NOT survive a few hours or more of flexing with walking/torso/arm movement at an event. 18gauge or thicker wire is what I use at the joints or flex points of my suits.

Using quick-connectors going to every part of your EL Wire near a flex point is also helpful in case a wire snaps from use. This method will allow you to make a few extra wire sections of the same size and with the connectors installed, just hot-swap the wire out when it breaks. Your average down time for that particular section, maybe 30-40 seconds.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nov 29, 2010, 9:12 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1262

So when we go out for the pre-party before the premiere, where are we going and what are we drinking?

What's a good TRON drink?

Something with Hpnotiq in it?

13. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    NYC, NY
    Nov 30, 2010, 8:44 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1263

A little UV Paint (clear-inviso type) update -
    All paint and ink is on a strip of standard blacktape/electrical tape:

Shown with paint wet, ink pen wet

Paint and ink nearly dry (paint has a slight white haze to it when fully dry, but minimal)

Fully lit room with UV Flashlight as blacklight source

Darkened room with 15w blacklight bulb source about 8ft away
    Last edited by gams001; Dec 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
    From
    Eugene, OR
    Nov 30, 2010, 10:10 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1264

So after reading all 51 pages ( and lots of going to sleep at 3AM, thanks guys ), and seeing what Eddie and Twinight are doing, I'm ready to start my build using a fusion of the two. I'm gonna get an under armor shirt, and basically pattern out, using Foamies from Micahels, a general armor harness. Then once that is completed, modgepodge the hell out of it, plastidip it in black, and then hot glue it to the Under Armor Shirt.

Then I'm going to go the same route as Eddie and Anisse and do the looped, diffused EL on posterboard. And with building up my own armor out of the Foamies, I should already have channels set into it to allow for laying the lighted strips down. Now that's just for the top...

As for the pants...I dunno, but I DO know I'm repurposing my Star Trek 2009 Diesel Boots for this, so at least that's covered.

I'll post pics as I go, I just needed to do some price matching to see if it might not be smarter and easier to go with motocross/Paintball armor or hockey/lacrosse pads. Unfortunately, no place local has a good selection (I will be hitting thrift shops soon, though).

First thing I really need to do is purchase my EL Wire. From what I've gleaned, I hear that a 12V inverter is the best? Is that right? I'm figuring getting two 20' lengths of wire for the upper body, leaving the arms unlit, and possibly getting two 5' premades (in any voltage) for the legs. And maybe two 3 foot wires for the boots.

Anyway: enough talking, more working. I'll keep everyone updated. Gotta love deadlines!
    Last edited by jyhash; Nov 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: my spelling is atrocious sometimes.
  15. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Nov 30, 2010, 10:59 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1265

Can the guy costumers tell me where they got their boots and gloves?
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    NYC, NY
    Nov 30, 2010, 11:06 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1266

jyhash said: View Post
    So after reading all 51 pages...
    First thing I really need to do is purchase my EL Wire. From what I've gleaned, I hear that a 12V inverter is the best? Is that right? I'm figuring getting two 20' lengths of wire for the upper body, leaving the arms unlit, and possibly getting two 5' premades (in any voltage) for the legs. And maybe two 3 foot wires for the boots.

Anyway: enough talking, more working. I'll keep everyone updated. Gotta love deadlines!
    In the case to lengths of 15ft+, a 12v driver is what I see a lot of folks using (unless you want multiple drivers running various sections). I am using one for my 17ft worth of ELWire, but I am also going the Sound Driver route and that does require a 12v battery pack.
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Dec 1, 2010, 12:11 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1267

superflunker87 said: View Post
    Can the guy costumers tell me where they got their boots and gloves?

I'm planning to see how viable it is to heatmold "boot-covers" from eva foam, stylin them and then plasti-dippin em.

As for gloves... gonna just sew my own pair.
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Dec 1, 2010, 12:37 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1268

ok, I'm hoping not to get hung by my toes for this, but i know it's cheating in terms of costuming. I bought a UD Replica Sam Flynn coat that im wearing to the Premier. In terms of costuming for the future, I am looking for feedback on the idea of using a pair of Rave pant material (a satin-esque polyester ) and having my girlfriend sew me some pants that are loose fitting with a boot-cut leg opening. I'd be wearing them with a pair of all black converse that will be customized with reflective tape accents around the bottom, and the pants would have the reflective tape in the same pattern as the cannon costumes. The opinion I suppose im looking for, is would wearing loose fitting bottoms look cheap/goofy with the UD jacket. I realize that ideally I should wear something that fits the same on the bottom as the top, but i have much shorter legs than i do a torsoe. ( 5'11", 28" pant inseam.) So, my legs are pretty large, and short, which makes pants very awkward for me. any thought would be appreciated.
    From
    Eugene, OR
    Dec 1, 2010, 2:24 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1269

Okay, my wife oficially nixed my Tron Costume tonight, citing lack of funds, but I got her to come around if I came in under a price point. Okay then, new plan. So here's the deal, and someone make sure and scream if I'm about to make a huge mistake (and not in terms of styling, but rather in terms of "it just won't work, Jay!"):

I'm not going to scratch-make my Vest Armor. Instead I found this Paintball armor called a Proto performance top:

I like that it has kind of the side swaths of color against black already in the top itself. I also like that alot of armor detailing has already been done for me. It's around $39.

I found some EL wire on Amazon for $12 for 9 Feet, and measuring my front and back Comes in at 4.5 feet, so if I double amount for looping as per Eddie's method, I should have enough for the stripes up the front plust half a foot leftover for extra shapes. I'd like to get 10-12 feet to be safe, but I can't find any that inexpensive that is pre-soldered. I'm gonna get the two 12 volt drivers, because they'll make the wire as bright as can be, which is a plus as I'm already not going to be anywhere near screen accurate. I might as well blind folks to it in the process. I'll then see if I can find a cheap alternative to the under-armor shirt, as well as gloves. I'll hopefully still be able to get forearm and shoulder armor, but that is going to have to be a last minute decision purchase.

For those decrying the use of something with such an obvious logo, don't worry: I'll be getting some of the Foamies sheets from Michaels, in black, which I will apply over the front of the Armor to block the logo as well as fill in the red with a black fabric pen (if I don't decide to integrate the red, which I might in the interest of time).

As for the pants I will still continue to wonder about them, and maybe make them last minute along with possible last minute ordering of any short EL to thread or glue to them to make them semi-illuminated.

I'm gonna go to the Garden store tomorrow and look at planters and planter holders for my IdentDisc for my back, as I've completely forgotten about that up until now.

Anyways, I know I seem like a lot of talk, but I needed to get this out, at least typed, so I know what my gameplan now is. I was (sufficed to say) more than a little pissed this evening when I was told the costume was a no go in my original $250 price point, but with this one coming in at hopefully only a little over $100 or so, That should make the wife happy. Especially since I'll be able to spread it out of 2 paychecks and hopefully a hefty bonus from work for the holidays.

Sorry to litter the board, and pardon the venting. As always, open to suggestion. Just remember that I live in an apartment, have very few power tools, and am not the master costume maker in the family (that would be my spouse).

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!
    Dec 1, 2010, 5:46 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1270

Hey Jyhash that top is a bloody good idea if you are going for a Tron Legacy inspired costume (another Program)
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    NYC, NY
    Dec 1, 2010, 10:03 AM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1271

jyhash said: View Post
    Okay, my wife oficially nixed my Tron Costume tonight, citing lack of funds, ...
    I'm not going to scratch-make my Vest Armor. Instead I found this Paintball armor called a Proto performance top:

I like that it has kind of the side swaths of color against black already in the top itself. I also like that alot of armor detailing has already been done for me. It's around $39.
    >>> Never doubt the power of inspired works. Just because it is not something people will see on screen, I find those same people react better to custom work far moreso than to exact screen copies. <<<

I found some EL wire on Amazon for $12 for 9 Feet (you can find it a tad cheaper, about $1.00 per foot, on main ELWire sites), and measuring my front and back Comes in at 4.5 feet, so if I double amount for looping as per Eddie's method, I should have enough for the stripes up the front plust half a foot leftover for extra shapes. I'd like to get 10-12 feet to be safe, but I can't find any that inexpensive that is pre-soldered. I'm gonna get the two 12 volt drivers >>> 1 driver would be more than enough for that short length. 2 drivers will not make it glow any brighter than it's max 300mah cap <<<, because they'll make the wire as bright as can be, which is a plus as I'm already not going to be anywhere near screen accurate. I might as well blind >>> ELWire will never be bright enough to do anything but glow softly <<< folks to it in the process. I'll then see if I can find a cheap alternative to the under-armor shirt, as well as gloves. I'll hopefully still be able to get forearm and shoulder armor, but that is going to have to be a last minute decision purchase.

For those decrying the use of something with such an obvious logo, don't worry: I'll be getting some of the Foamies sheets from Michaels, in black, which I will apply over the front of the Armor to block the logo as well as fill in the red with a black fabric pen (if I don't decide to integrate the red, which I might in the interest of time).
    >>> For the record, as I have seen, Red ELWire glows the most dim of all wire colors, just a heads up. <<<

As for the pants I will still continue to wonder about them, and maybe make them last minute along with possible last minute ordering of any short EL to thread or glue to them to make them semi-illuminated.
    >>> With that torso armor, I would suggest thick material tights with some craft foam plates on the thighs and shins. Allows you to float between the looks of Tron1 and Tron2. <<<

I'm gonna go to the Garden store tomorrow and look at planters and planter holders for my IdentDisc for my back, as I've completely forgotten about that up until now.
    >>> Ya know, I never thought of that one. I was going to find something else for my friend's hub, but might have to delve in that direction now, ty. <<<

Anyways, I know I seem like a lot of talk, but I needed to get this out, at least typed, so I know what my gameplan now is. I was (sufficed to say) more than a little pissed this evening when I was told the costume was a no go in my original $250 price point, but with this one coming in at hopefully only a little over $100 or so, That should make the wife happy. Especially since I'll be able to spread it out of 2 paychecks and hopefully a hefty bonus from work for the holidays.
    >>> This is one more reason I am no longer married. I will go without more food for a few weeks, just to sate my other needs. <<<

Sorry to litter the board, and pardon the venting. As always, open to suggestion. Just remember that I live in an apartment, have very few power tools, and am not the master costume maker in the family (that would be my spouse).

Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!

>>> Hope these ideas help you sort it out. <<<
    Last edited by gams001; Dec 1, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
  22. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    From
    Colorado
    Dec 1, 2010, 12:27 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1272

23. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Dec 1, 2010, 12:53 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1273

Dear Programs, Go to Tron-Sector: Current News Sector for more new footage for TRON Tuesday!
    This came out today instead of yesterday. It features the Character of CASTOR with JEM,and SAM. Check out the emerging staircase. I want one of those. If you can make it out, look at the bar in the back. That's STEVE LISBERGER the creator of TRON playing the bartender. Also on TRON SECTOR look at the TRON Light show in London.There's also some new footage at YAHOO MOVIES on TRON LEGACY. Enjoy the late TRON TUESDAY material.
    "FLYNN LIVES!" CLU
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    NYC, NY
    Dec 1, 2010, 5:22 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1274

Soulinertia said: View Post
    I based my costume 'slightly' on this type of look from TRON: Evolution. Pics of my completed base suit should be up this weekend once I wire up the power system.
    Dec 1, 2010, 8:25 PM - re: Tron Legacy Costume #1275

there's a new behind the scenes video on the costumes. one of the new behind the scenes clips show a program with the el shapes more blue and garrett's more whitish-blue -sort of showing there could be different shades in the actual costumes and not necessarily a camera filter effect.

YouTube - Tron: Legacy Innovative Design Bonus Clip (Love it or Hate it?)