Tron Legacy Costume

they rock nothing wrong with old school:cool looks great'' Im a kid at heart have to fight my kid every time we in the toy store lol ok to much info :$

My daughter was so excited to see the Tron costumes at Comic Con, but being a geek-kid, she wanted to pay tribute to the original...so she went that route:

big

Cosplay.com - - Yori - anime_wench

Sorry I didn't ment to sound cocky, my apologyze.
In fact I did not realize you said "tron-ish", I assumed you wanted to be accurate. I had read the whole thread and my eyes betrayed me a little, and I failed trying to be helpful.
No, what you want to do do is not "that" hard hehe :angel

I just see many people working so so hard but going in the wrong direction that I feel I should help with my best, that was it.

I left the idea behind a month ago but definitely I will build my own for the premiere.

Thanks and good luck!

Was that "Don't do it" aimed at my info request? If it were, I don't see a single reason that it would be difficult at all as I am not mod'ing the armor or placing the plates on another suit. I am just putting a single, small led into (under) each of the plates with a hidden line of wire leading under the pads back to the power source on the lower back area. Soldering a dozen LEDs and running some wires is hardly 'a lot' of work.

In fact I did not realize you said "tron-ish", I assumed you wanted to be accurate. I had read the whole thread and my eyes betrayed me a little, and I failed trying to be helpful.

I just see many people working so so hard but going in the wrong direction that I feel I should help with my best, that was it.

I left the idea behind a month ago but definitely I will build my own for the premiere.

Thanks and good luck!

No harm done KW. Any input, even if someone felt the methods were 'wrong', was welcome. I look forward to seeing your project when it's ready to show.

Thanks and good luck!

Your approach could be a cheaper alternative to latex casting the rubber parts used in the screen costume. Just cut out the openings in the neoprene suit where the hex fabric shows through and bond it to the bodysuit. The difficult part would be getting the cut edges of the neoprene to look tapered and finished.

So I finally went to FOAM MART thanks to Tenabre's recommendation. Any one living in LA that still needs neoprene or any other rubber materials to make your Tron costumes, please go there!

Amazing products. I loved the neoprene sheeting they had. Comes in black, smooth rubber texture and $16 a foot, kinda pricey but this is the stuff you wanna work with and would be fine to take a heating gun to it to shape.

Now, I was looking around and found my dream material. A 1/8" black rubber sheeting, even cheaper, $11.50 a foot! Not bad.

I hesitated on buying it for now because I really wanted to think long and hard if I really want to go with this thick of a rubber sheeting.

The latex/rubber I am considering using is a 1.05mm gauge, the one at Foam Mart is 1/8", very thick and strudy. I can even cut into it slightly if I have the guts to try that, and embed my El Wire light job I plan on doing, like Eddie's.

Then I got to thinking after my excitement of finding this rubber sheeting wore off ;) it is so thick, how am I possibly going to get it to conform to fit tight around my body even with that pattern I made.

It is going to take alot of darting I am thinking to get it to fit snuggly around me.

I really need to use a practice piece of material that is equivalent to this rubber before I go and cut it up and possibly destroy it, wasting all that money. I need about one meter to complete the Quorra chest armor.

Of course I know you can't heat latex or rubber but since this is so thick, I was wondering if this type of rubber sheeting can be heated with a heat gun just very VERY slightly so I can try and shape it around the curves to fit me???

Oh what to do, what to do?!?!??!?!

This is my first time posting on this site but I have been stalking this post for a while now to get ideas for how to produce a Tron costume for Halloween. It definitely helped a lot so thanks to everyone for their ideas.

I thought I would share a bit on how I produced my costume incase people are still trying to get something to work. It is not a replica since it seems like it would be very tough to make anything even close to those suits but people at least recognized who I was. The suit is about 95% complete and not everything was cleaned up before Halloween but it was functional at least and pretty comfortable.

- Suit top layer is made from vinyl and rubber scuba material in certain places so the vinyl would be tight. Below the top layer is 1/4 inch open cell foam then t-shirt material. It all goes over top of a black base layer (think spandex suit) using zippers and Velcro.
- Helmet is made of a used skateboard helmet with the liner pulled out and lighting put inside with a new foam liner put in. The visor is a 2 liter bottle cut and sprayed with RC car window tint then hot glued.
- Lighting was done with 3rd generation elwire (2.8mm) that was placed inside of frosted plastic tubing for an ice maker then 3 layers of window privacy frosting was cut out and sewn into the suit. Then it is all driven off of one 9v driver.
Windows were cut out of the top layer vinyl and the plastic tubing was hot glued to the ¼ inch foam and then the frosting was sewn then the elwire was fed through after the suit was constructed. It diffuses the light pretty well but you can still see the wire a bit. The joints for the arms and legs were spliced with speaker wire since the info on this site said that elwire would not last with multiple bends.
- The disc is just the movie Frisbee at toys r us with ice maker tube around it and elwire inside.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would but it was finished enough before Halloween. Luckily the suit should be reusable for next year! Here are some pics, they are not the greatest but I did not get too many when I was out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first time posting on this site but I have been stalking this post for a while now to get ideas for how to produce a Tron costume for Halloween. It definitely helped a lot so thanks to everyone for their ideas.

I thought I would share a bit on how I produced my costume incase people are still trying to get something to work.

Incredible work! Congrats on getting your suit lite up and welcome to the thread ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally went to FOAM MART thanks to Tenabre's recommendation. Any one living in LA that still needs neoprene or any other rubber materials to make your Tron costumes, please go there!

Amazing products. I loved the neoprene sheeting they had. Comes in black, smooth rubber texture and $16 a foot, kinda pricey but this is the stuff you wanna work with and would be fine to take a heating gun to it to shape.

Now, I was looking around and found my dream material. A 1/8" black rubber sheeting, even cheaper, $11.50 a foot! Not bad.

I hesitated on buying it for now because I really wanted to think long and hard if I really want to go with this thick of a rubber sheeting.

The latex/rubber I am considering using is a 1.05mm gauge, the one at Foam Mart is 1/8", very thick and strudy. I can even cut into it slightly if I have the guts to try that, and embed my El Wire light job I plan on doing, like Eddie's.

Then I got to thinking after my excitement of finding this rubber sheeting wore off ;) it is so thick, how am I possibly going to get it to conform to fit tight around my body even with that pattern I made.

It is going to take alot of darting I am thinking to get it to fit snuggly around me.

I really need to use a practice piece of material that is equivalent to this rubber before I go and cut it up and possibly destroy it, wasting all that money. I need about one meter to complete the Quorra chest armor.

Of course I know you can't heat latex or rubber but since this is so thick, I was wondering if this type of rubber sheeting can be heated with a heat gun just very VERY slightly so I can try and shape it around the curves to fit me???

Oh what to do, what to do?!?!??!?!

A word of advise guys about neoprene, it is durable only if you put something to give it strength under, like duck tape, other wise it can tear easily, that happened to me on one of my arm pieces. I noticed that wetsuits have a thin rubber coat on it, to give it strength, I just started to use the tape method:)

My friend finally gave me the pics she took of the suit lit up. I hope to start working on the suit again in 2 weeks, when I have free time. Again thank you all so much for sharing your input on making a Tron costume.

148893_458278980821_565610821_5322224_4056169_n.jpg

149009_458278720821_565610821_5322219_2319952_n.jpg

My friend finally gave me the pics she took of the suit lit up. I hope to start working on the suit again in 2 weeks, when I have free time. Again thank you all so much for sharing your input on making a Tron costume.

HOLY CRAP.

That is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! And it photographed incredible, too! I love it!!!

Definitely going to re-read all the posts you made of your progress and consider it more closely for my own! Excellent!!!

Dang!!!!!!! Eddie! Your suit is incredible!! So happy to see your light up pics!

Now I know I am definately using your method to light up mine. If I could only figure out to use the layer or rubber sheeting??!??

Oh by the way, did you get my PM I sent you last week I think it was?

Hi ya everyone,

As requested by the lovely Annisse, here are my quorra pics.

FYI, I never intended to make a replica so it's a bit of my own take on the theme.

I used EL tape which I cut and resoldered into different sections to get the proper angles. I laser the pattern for the harness. The EL film harness is velcroed onto the vest itself so the vest is washable. Also lets me troubleshoot the film easily in case things go astray after a night of wear.

I'll post a tutorial on fashioningtech.com in the next few weeks on how to work with EL tape. It's tricky and a pain but I think I came up with a few solid solutions.

Thanks!

Hello! New here! I love everyone on here and I love everyone's work! when is your tutorial coming out?

This is exactly what I think, I posted this time ago. SCS Smoothskin neoprene looks exactly like the rubber armor parts.
The best part is that it stretches and it's very comfortable (again, if it is two sizes bigger). And it can be layered beneath to make some wider shapes.
I wish I could latex cast, it would be the best, since it's the same technique they used. But my skills don't go that far.

I agree about the cut edges. I will try with an exacto knife to cut it in angle, or glue the edge pinching to itself, or maybe burn the edge with some small iron.... I have to try what works better.

For those who want to go this same way, I recommend to use a scubapro 0.5 mm neoprene steamer for the hex suit istead of spandex. This way both layers can be glued with Aquaseal easily.

Your approach could be a cheaper alternative to latex casting the rubber parts used in the screen costume. Just cut out the openings in the neoprene suit where the hex fabric shows through and bond it to the bodysuit. The difficult part would be getting the cut edges of the neoprene to look tapered and finished.

Oh wow Eddie, your lights look amazing! I'm definitely going to have to go back and write down notes from your posts. Keep up the amazing work! I can't wait to see what's next.

For the rest of you, I came across this video with two of the costume designers in a behind-the-scenes featurette. I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here it is ----->VIDEO: Behind-the-Scenes with 'Tron: Legacy's' Costume Designers - The Hollywood Reporter

RINZLER - In previous posts, some people talked about using "Rare Earth" magnets to attach their discs.

Thank you guys for the compliments, I will be reposting latter tonight the process I used for the EL wire, but this time I will have better pictures because I know is kind of hard to explain it just with words.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back