Tron Legacy Costume

Hi all, i have had a breif talk with Oryontech. The price per foot is not to bad, till you figure the final cost(template/powersupplys ect) the min cost as far as I can see is at least $2000 for a single costume, but if more than one person goes in, the cost for the template (the biggest cost)can be split up, cost per square inch is from .38-.50 cents, based on volume and how much waste space per panel. I have also been thinking of a Tron lightsuit as you can see. They suggested there might be anouther company to do bis with and are going to contact me with it.

Well, honestly, that's sort of what I was expecting. Thanks so much for the info! I figured since this was the stuff used in the movie, the average cost of a suit used in the film was probably somewhere between $2000 and $10,000 each. (And I'm sure several of them probably cost much more!) So the chance of it being reasonably affordable was slim to none in my estimation. Oh well, looks like EL sheets it is!

I would definitely like to hear about the other company they are referring you to. If that other company is fairly inexpensive, they'll probably make a good bit of money off of just us TRON geeks! LOL!

So tomorrow I am going to try an experiment... I picked up some copper shims from ACE Hardware that I am going to try powdercoating with Aluminium Phosphate and then run some 26ga wire in it then hook it tp an inverter... we will see. Idealy I will be making custom shaped EL sheets... I'll post pictures...

Wow! Now that's thinkin' outside the box! ;) Sounds interesting! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Don't forget the baton too ;)

SM6014383lg.jpg

oh wow... Now I have something else to make... is this in a trailer anywhere or have anymore pictues? does it collaspe in size?

it turns into the light cycle
so im sure it does collapse
its attached to Sams right leg and Qurras left boot

you can see it when shes on the couch

It does more than that. Baton = "The hand-wielded tool programs in the Grid use to generate usable objects like light cycles, umbrellas, and weapons like staffs and swords."

I'm more concerned about how I'm going to find or make a helmet!

I managed to find this helmet at a thrift store for $5 It was worth it to take a risk on it. I know its not the exact helmet, but right now its on the backburner.

I have 3 of the little LED holders for the inside cut, I was going to wire it to some switch to have them turn on off.

Also I am going to tale all the neck support padding out and beef this thing up withsome Lithium ion batteries. The suit and the tron disc i'm building have batteries too but I was thinking to plug into this battery bank to recharge everything.

Here were my thoughts...
1. I was going to either go LED or EL wire on the back of it but I am waiting to find a good way to diffuse the light.
2. Spray some insulation foam ro the back of it to get the correct contour.
3. scrap the whole idea.

right now I am trying to finish the tron disc, then suit. then the helmet. Just wanted to see what you guys thought.

I do all my LED prototyping with a USB cable, if you decide to do this make sure you use 100ohm resistor for white or blue LEDs, but on the Arduino it outputs 3.3v so no resistor is needed

Does anyone have any ideas about where to get helmets? Or is it pretty much a given that a helmet will have to be made?

Whoa! Just barely beat me to it, Carboxyll! Thanks for the post. And keep it up!

Last edited:
In case you wanted the LED holder, I complied a zip file of it.

I included a .SLDPRT .DWG .STL .IGS let me know if you need any other format.

Or if you want, I could cut them for you? $0.25 per piece?

Last edited:
If you can stand an inaccurate helmet, try the toy store. I picked up a kid's NASCAR toy helmet on clearance at Kmart (about $10). There are a bunch on ebay. It's small-ish and not movie-quality by any means, but with some work it'll pass for Halloween. I have ideas for a Tron-inspired costume too. I don't know that I'll get around to actually doing it, but I have a helmet. :) I'm loving the look of the Black Guard.

it turns into the light cycle
so im sure it does collapse
its attached to Sams right leg and Qurras left boot

you can see it when shes on the couch

I was wondering what that was on Quorra's boot. Awesome just another thing to worry about to make before Dragoncon. Well I guess I go with out it for now and make the Baton later for the movie premiere.

Is this baton replica for sale? What company makes them?

~A

I forgot about the meaning of the colors on the Disney site! So, I'm not sure what color lighting Sam and Quorra have. Since CLU is orange, he's a leader. The black guards are red, so they are supporters of CLU. White means you're an activist, so does that mean they are "against the leader"? Or do the blue individualists represent the ones that stand against CLU? Hmm....I have no idea.

If I go the EL tape route, I'll probably just get the blue sheets. According to the websites, they are a little brighter than the white sheets. They are also cheaper, and plus, I just like the blue glow. Kinda reminds me of the original TRON... :)

yes you bring up some good questions. Are Sam and Quorra individualists or activists??? I have many reference photos now of Quorras suit and it definately looks white her lights.

Did you contradict yourself though??? You said white lights are against the leader which is CLU then you said blue lights are activists against CLU? Isn't that the same thing? Sorry if I am wrong, just want to clarify this ;)

I like the look of blue but the white is so brillant bright and stands out.

I will check out the Disney site in a few hours here. Thanks for all of you guys research on this. I didn't know the color of their lights each meant something different. Very interesting.

~A

@Hoodooman1

in reply to your help explaining how El sheet panels work. Thank you and no you didn't confuse me at all ;) I pretty much see how the sheet works. Still would like to have it in my hands and actually work with it but your explanation helps alot!!

I may go with El Tape. Even though I know it is expensive but hey, not as crazy expensive as that one company. Jezzzz I guess unless you are rich or a professional in the movie industry with money to burn then fine go down that route. Us poor ppl, meaning myself, have gots to find a more furgal way to replicate these costumes using cheaper stuff but that does not mean that your costume will look like crap necessarily, if you know what you are doing :)

another reason I want to go with El Tape is upon analyzing all those cut sheet strips and terminal connections with wires going all over the place, I can just see the entire suit being more prone to breaking wire connections at the terminal or basically anywhere on the strip as you move your body.

We have to face it that lighting up these suits and taking them to anything other than a Comic book convention or the movie premiere to show them off is a total risk.

Was it here that I read, or maytbe it was elsewhere online, the actors couldn't hardly move in the suits. Special chairs had to be made for them to lean upon when they were taking a break probably so all the wires wouldn't break.

Now can you imagine taking your brand new suit into a club, dancing the night away, your body constantly moving the wires over and over, something is bond to snap and break.

I know this because it has happened to me repeatedly on light up costumes I had made in the past.

Although it was El Wire I used that broke and yes I was partying and dancing, I can't imagine those El sheet panels all cut up connected everywhere being any better. Hell the El Tape is most likely a risk to use as well.

So if we are all going for the movie effect look. Then just expect discomfort wearing the suit the entire time. Probably not too much sitting down and make sure you build a zipper when you gotta do your bidness after drinking all that booze just to keep your mind off the pain. ;)

I have been cosplaying uncomfortable costumes I have made for over 10 years. So I know what I am talking about. Throw in wearing 7 inch stilletto heels, even more pain but to me it us worth it ;D

I rarely if at all wear my CON costumes out to crazy clubs just for the fact they are uncomfortable, things might break and you ruin your precious hard work.

These types of costumes, if you are planning on making them movie accurate, are only doable at Cons or basically anywhere but a crazy nite club.

Hey, if you can figure out a way to rig all that lighting, hit a club and dance the nite away without your lights breaking, more power to you. I just know I have been there done that already without a good outcome unless you stand still the entire nite and who's gonna do that ;)

As for how I am making my Quorra armour I usually spend hundreds of dollars or even one grand making my costumes but as of now I am broker than broke and don't have the funds to buy all the actual lighting that was used along with the rubber their armour n suits were made in so I had to find an alternative route. Also I need this costume completed in 20 days so I already know I am gonna be making adjustments for the movie premiere to wear it.

I basically used craft foam, a heating gun to shape it and some cardboard and a ton of crazy glue GEL to hold it all together. Yeah that is it. I made the identity disk in stryofoam. The top armour will be covered in a thin layer of foam to give it depth then that all will be covered in a black matte rubber "look" fabric I have to match the look of Quorra's actual rubber armour. Same with the disk. And all the other raised details will be worked out with craft foam under the black fabric.

I have finished the craft foam armour and I am onto the other details. I even found this bad ass matte rubber look fabric to make her bodysuit. I love it! The Hexagon top half of her suit well, again probably just going with an alternative material that closely resembles it. Again no money or time now to get that custom made for me. Maybe later :)

Good Luck to you all building your TL suits!!!!

~A

Last edited:
The Baton and Identity Disk replicas will be available in stores around October or November. Here's some more pics of the Baton:

400px-Codex_weap_katana.png

400px-Codex_weap_baton.png

This gives you a good idea how big the Baton is.
800px-00trailer53.jpg

More costume reference images:
800px-00trailer51.jpg

800px-00trailer62.jpg

800px-00trailer54.jpg

800px-00trailer49.jpg

800px-00trailer31.jpg

800px-Tron_20x60_full_wave6_v2.jpg

800px-Tron_20x60_Full_wave7_v1.jpg

Also, I think Sam and Quorra have white circuitry. This image verifies it, as you can see the blue circuitry on this guy is much darker than Sam and Quorra's:
800px-00trailer41.jpg

Compare that to Sam's light cycle:
800px-00trailer50.jpg

Yup! I knew Quorra n Sam's lights were white. Thank you Mrsinistar. I have all of those reference shots of Quorra and the lights look white.

and thanks for those Baton pics too. So is the one for sale come October going to extend out too?

~A

Here's the best helmets I was able to find out there:

1893-dynamo-uno.jpg

A decent black helmet, but ideally we need helmets where there is no differentiation between the helmet and the visor - where it all looks like one piece.

1890-starglossblack.jpg

This one has the right shape, but again, we need it to be one piece.

1891-gath09-rvhelmet.jpg

The style of helmet might be better for the good guys - reminds me of Sam's helmet.

1894-03-l.jpg

And this one I thought looked like the helmet Sam is wearing at the end of the first trailer while he's riding the light cycle.

This is after 2-3 hours of searches. Heres some links to close up pics of Rinzler and flying baddie helmets. And here's a pic with several helmets:
1874-tronlegacy03.jpg

There's not a lot out there. Accurate or semi-accurate helmets will have to be made, it seems. The best option I can think of might be to get a pretty good helmet and then make a full visor that either covers the entire helmet or at least all the face and wraps up the helmet, blending into it somehow.

I can't believe it actually says this in the product description for the disc...

"Throw this Identity Disk at friends and watch them "derez" in pain!"

LOL!

Don't toy companies usually put warnings that say the opposite?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back