Tron Legacy Costume

someone posted this earlier in the thread, somehwere. Heh ... Mein gott! Have we reached 38 pages?!! We should make a How to make a Tron costume thread just for step by step instructions . lol

Damn! I forgot, did a search and DangerIMMN had posted some helmets earlier - but it really fits more a sentry, who took Sam to the Recognizer.

Hey all just wanted to show my almost finished TRON suit, I will test it out this saturday @ elecTRONica......pls let me know what i can add or improve on it...

Looks great and can't wait to see it in person tomorrow at ElecTRONica Macross!

HAHAHAH...my girlfriend told me, I may take monday off, I tried getting annisse to go. heh

I want to go, but bound to work, GAAAAHHH!

Is there a sticky post or topic with resources for Legacy costumes?

Mostly where everyone is getting EL tape & wire from?

I found plenty in China at $150 for plenty of 2" wide EL tape in white with a sewable border but I'm worried about shipping taking forever to get here.

I wouldn't trust anything from Ebay China. If it is cheap, expect cheap quality. I am always worried about stuff like that ordering from Ebay when I am dropping all that money. Don't want to risk being disappointed when I get it.

Hey all!
I'm new to this forum. I've made a humble Quorra costume for Halloween, but am looking to upgrade it using all the tips that have been posted here :). In this photo the vest was fastened with velcro, but after a night of clubbing and having it bust open so many times, I have since sewed on a zipper :p.

Hi!!! I actually saw you uploaded your Quorra pic on Cosplay.com. I have an account there too :) Welcome to the board! Just scroll through the many pages in this thread. Tons of help and suggestions the members!

Thanks!!!! This is the first time I've ever had issues with an item on ebay not being as described or receiving the wrong thing...usually it's all good! Thanks so much for the info on the latex...but...you mean to tell me your latex Silk Spectre and Catwoman suits are ALL and ONLY glued!? And it holds? :| Dang girl...I'd be scared to wear that!!! I definitely think it might be the route I go for the armor though since it's a bit softer than this crappy vinyl I'm working with and at least there's a layer underneath just in case I eff up the gluing and something rips open. Hahha!

If you do go this route, please keep in touch about it as I'm totally interested in watching a pro. :D

Yes, my Catwoman and Silk Spectre II latex costumes are entirely held together by rubber cement. No sewing is involved and yes, you better believe I was freaking out wearing those costumes at CON. One rip and free show for everyone at CON! :D HAHA I am a risk taker and trusted my work or was lucky :p

OK so I made my new pattern for my rebuild of my Quorra chest and arm armor in a thick gauge latex. I had 1.05mm at hand and need to order another meter. I wanted a thicker gauge because Olivia's is clearly a thicker gauge rubber, at least her chest armor, but since this is not going to be sculpted and molded like her was, I am going with the 1mm since it will shape better to my body. I have my ideas thanks to Daniel's identity disk build with the planter pots that I am going to add to the back for my disk.

I will be adding the lights using El Wire and Eddie's build to them as well.

Thank you aelynn000 for opening my eyes to using rubber. I should and wish I would have just done this in the beginning. It will be much sturdier and less prone to falling apart because it is made of one solid piece instead of a bunch of flimsy craft foam pieces super glued together. Well, thanks to my original build I was able to get a pattern made out of that. I just really didn't think I could figure the lighting out for my suit, but thanks to everyone's ideas here, I can do it now! YAY! :) It will take a week or so to get my latex, ordering it from the UK. They are the only ones with the good stuff in latex sheeting.

Here's a pic of my pattern so far. There will be a harness that will go from my back to the front of my chest held with straps to hold the identity disk build. The center back will have a opening to pass the harness for my identity disk threw and in between all that it will have a zipper one from the bottom up to the center of my back, the opening for the disk then from the center of my back past the opening, up to my neck, so basically two zippers. When I was at ElecTRONica. I studied the Siren's costumes and saw this was how they designed their suits.

Wish me luck! Will post my progress!

Last edited:
Oh and ElecTRONica is ON for Saturday TODAY 11/06! My friends and I should be arriving around 6-7pm and ready to dance the night away and see the TRON Legacy 3D preview. Saw already but will see it again!

Can't wait to get my Digitini drink ;P I am bringing my light up ice cube from the last time I went. Hey let's have a disk battle by Flynn's Arcade. HAHA I will have my camera on hand of course to catch those Kodka moments!

If it rains, we will have to pass on going, if not SEE YOU TOMORROW!! :D

Thank you aelynn000 for opening my eyes to using rubber. I should and wish I would have just done this in the beginning. It will be much sturdier and less prone to falling apart because it is made of one solid piece instead of a bunch of flimsy craft foam pieces super glued together. Well, thanks to my original build I was able to get a pattern made out of that. I just really didn't think I could figure the lighting out for my suit, but thanks to everyone's ideas here, I can do it now! YAY! :) It will take a week or so to get my latex, ordering it from the UK. They are the only ones with the good stuff in latex sheeting.

Here's a pic of my pattern so far. There will be a harness that will go from my back to the front of my chest held with straps to hold the identity disk build. The center back will have a opening to pass the harness for my identity disk threw and in between all that it will have a zipper one from the bottom up to the center of my back, the opening for the disk then from the center of my back past the opening, up to my neck, so basically two zippers. When I was at ElecTRONica. I studied the Siren's costumes and saw this was how they designed their suits.

Wish me luck! Will post my progress!

You're very welcome! However this means that you need to direct me in making my own now. XD First and foremost, where did you get your thick gauge latex? And you're an angel for uploading that pattern! I kinda winged mine ( my vinyl version ) as I went along, and it's not bad... but too stiff. Where my body curves it folds and sticks out and buckles all funny. Booooo.

I'm very, VERY interested in building the armor of latex as to be quite honest, I'm not much of a sewer. I can do it, but I usually despise it. My favourite part of costuming is the cutting and gluing and detailing and I think this method would make my endeavors that much more enjoyable. And it's always nice to learn something new, of course.

Now...rubber cement I've worked with before in art school but it's been a long LONG time... to get it to set properly, you have to let it dry a bit first and THEN connect the two pieces, is that right? I think that might be my only problem. I'm SO BAD at following that direction 'cause I'm always so excited to put it together. I'll just have to force myself to have patience! LOL

For the gloves/ arm armor, Annisse, do you plan on attaching it to the sleeves? How would you go about attaching latex to fabric? I'm also curious about this since I'd like to make a Sam for the bf and there's more bits and pieces here and there than the bulk of Quorras being the chest armor...

Definitely keep me updated with your progress! I think the end result using latex is definitely going to have the closest movie feel to it.

Berrylish - Your "humble" costume is one of the best I've seen so far, so you're definitely doing something right! :)

Alright, the pants and the disc have been procured. Though I'm having a bit of an issue with the pants...as mentioned in my previous post, they're a pair of faux leather leggings from Forever 21, which is not a place known for it's quality. Nothing's happened yet, but I've been hearing that the polyurethane fabric tears very easily. (Nemesis told me that hers cracked from putting tape over it) I don't NOT want to put the EL tape/EL wire on the legs as it won't be screen accurate. But then again, I don't want my leggings ripped to shreds. Any suggestions?

A friend found this wig at a local costuming store. I think it could use a little trim here and there (bangs, mainly). But other than that I think it's pretty close. (And a good price! $26! Woohoo!) What do you guys think?

Berrylish - Your "humble" costume is one of the best I've seen so far, so you're definitely doing something right! :)

Alright, the pants and the disc have been procured. Though I'm having a bit of an issue with the pants...as mentioned in my previous post, they're a pair of faux leather leggings from Forever 21, which is not a place known for it's quality. Nothing's happened yet, but I've been hearing that the polyurethane fabric tears very easily. (Nemesis told me that hers cracked from putting tape over it) I don't NOT want to put the EL tape/EL wire on the legs as it won't be screen accurate. But then again, I don't want my leggings ripped to shreds. Any suggestions?

A friend found this wig at a local costuming store. I think it could use a little trim here and there (bangs, mainly). But other than that I think it's pretty close. (And a good price! $26! Woohoo!) What do you guys think?

could sew in a clear/ off white latex strips run the EL wire underneath it be flexable. just saying

Thanks guys, it looks pretty decent with studio lighting, but cheap with point and shoot flash. I'm going to try making a better quality one. If it's within my budget, then I'll make it light up.

Annisse, I'm a big fan of your work. I loooveeee your Silk Spectre costume and might make one myself. I'm a sewing n00b, so it might take a while but I'll be bugging you for sure ;).

Had some time off today to try some more work on costume, discovered not only is that canned spray foam not best for sealing armor gaps it also sticks a little too well to skin (acetone to remove!!)

what do you think on bending on EL maybe braking :$
cause EL is not cheap.I thinking if you used a hazy off white bendable material id suggest sewing it in but running a el wire behind it :confused So :thumbsup :thumbsdown
I thoughtAnnisse was in the movie I bet people will be asking for your Autograph :eek everyones rocks Berrylish jumped right in looking great..

it may take more time to do I did a few pics to see the effects seems ok all up to the person have fun:)

also this is only 9V of power

ALSO heres a thought I see alot want to tie on the Disc... Id suggest magnets if anyone can cast to a foam mold in black sew it on or in the back of the outfit how you want to set it up but have magnets placed in it then open or drill magnets in the disc

K&J Magnetics - Products

Last edited:
I recommend glowire.com for your EL wire. It's the brightest I've seen.

Pic with lights on:

39580_636462002909_2811457_36422432_1796731_n.jpg

Thank you for the info. now is that the Hight Bright wire or the Heavy Duty wire that you showed here?

From what I've read about EL wire in general, the copper wire with the phosphorus coating (the part that lights up inside) is the same in both regular and heavy duty EL wire, it's just that the heavy duty EL wire has a thicker PVC outer layer (3.2 mm) than regular EL wire (2.3 mm). Therefore the brightness would be about the same.

Now with High Bright EL wire, the glow is actually brighter than regular EL wire (about 50 percent brighter according to Glowire's website), but apparently has a shorter lifespan. It's also slightly thicker (2.5 mm) than regular EL wire (2.3 mm).

Glowire has a basic explanation of their EL wire products here:

BASIC GLOWIRE INFORMATION

IMO, I think the High Bright EL wire would probably be the best choice for you, Annisse, since you want the most light to pass through the diffusion layers you'll have on your costume.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back