Tron Legacy Costume

Finally got all 6 sets of my 2.3mm wire...came in two packages about a week apart...don't know why.

Today I got the pack of 3 5mm wire... but they sent it to me in RED!!! What the heck! I paid for and the auction listed white...I emailed them and they tried to get me to keep it and refund me 15%...yeesh. Hopefully they can fix this soon. How do you get RED and WHITE mixed up? >_<

Thinking of buying rubber for Quorra... right now the body armor is vinyl and the skirt is a leather look material but I think rubber might looks sweet...possibly E6000'ing it over craft foam? I know sewing it isn't a good idea but I was wondering if it'd last being E6000d. Annisse, what do you think of this? What were the major problems you ran into with using craft foam as your base? Did it have to do with sewing it ( or did you sew it? )?

Hi girl!

I hope you get your El Wire issued cleared up. That is why I don't like buying stuff like that on Ebay. I worry about the quality I am going to get. I have ordered from www.coolneon.com in the past many years ago and have never had any problems with them. They can even solder your El Wire connections for Plug n Play if you don't know how to solder. You gotta pay a little extra for that though.

The only problems I have ran into with my Quorra chest and arm armour so far is that craft foam main build I used for the them both, is very fragile. It is bendy in the back area around the waist. I patterned the top part with a matte rubber look material, but that is beginning to detoriate from the bends. It is beginning to look sloppy and that unacceptable to me. I have worn it so many times already it is really beginning to fall apart. None of my Quorra chest or arm armour was sewn. It was all built with glues, mostly super glue (GEL) form.

You just gave me a great idea. I work with latex rubber. I make later rubber costumes. If you use a thick gauge black latex sheeting like 1.0mm, there is even thicker gauges than that like a 3.0mm, that might work to make the Quorra chest and arm armour LOOK more like the movie materials. It can also be boned in the waist area which will take care of the bendiness that happens around the waist. Kinda like a corset. Now this might work, but you gotta know how to work with latex, the pattern, cutting and gluing of the seams. Latex is glued with rubber cement at the seams, over lapped and not sewn.

Hmmmmmmm I am going to consider this now and possibly remake the chest and arm armour for the movie premiere then add my El Wire to that.

Hi girl!

I hope you get your El Wire issued cleared up. That is why I don't like buying stuff like that on Ebay. I worry about the quality I am going to get. I have ordered from www.coolneon.com in the past many years ago and have never had any problems with them. They can even solder your El Wire connections for Plug n Play if you don't know how to solder. You gotta pay a little extra for that though.

The only problems I have ran into with my Quorra chest and arm armour so far is that craft foam main build I used for the them both, is very fragile. It is bendy in the back area around the waist. I patterned the top part with a matte rubber look material, but that is beginning to detoriate from the bends. It is beginning to look sloppy and that unacceptable to me. I have worn it so many times already it is really beginning to fall apart. None of my Quorra chest or arm armour was sewn. It was all built with glues, mostly super glue (GEL) form.

You just gave me a great idea. I work with latex rubber. I make later rubber costumes. If you use a thick gauge black latex sheeting like 1.0mm, there is even thicker gauges than that like a 3.0mm, that might work to make the Quorra chest and arm armour LOOK more like the movie materials. It can also be boned in the waist area which will take care of the bendiness that happens around the waist. Kinda like a corset. Now this might work, but you gotta know how to work with latex, the pattern, cutting and gluing of the seams. Latex is glued with rubber cement at the seams, over lapped and not sewn.

Hmmmmmmm I am going to consider this now and possibly remake the chest and arm armour for the movie premiere then add my El Wire to that.

Thanks!!!! This is the first time I've ever had issues with an item on ebay not being as described or receiving the wrong thing...usually it's all good! Thanks so much for the info on the latex...but...you mean to tell me your latex Silk Spectre and Catwoman suits are ALL and ONLY glued!? And it holds? :| Dang girl...I'd be scared to wear that!!! I definitely think it might be the route I go for the armor though since it's a bit softer than this crappy vinyl I'm working with and at least there's a layer underneath just in case I eff up the gluing and something rips open. Hahha!

If you do go this route, please keep in touch about it as I'm totally interested in watching a pro. :D

Correct. If the theater catches fire, the two of us can direct the entire contingent to the emergency exits....even if the place loses power.

Hey, it comes down to doing something spontaneous. If someone asks me: "What's the most spontaneous thing you did this year?"...

I can say that I built a costume for the Halloween party season based on a movie that wasn't even released yet, with the help of a group of people I've never met in person. Then I became facebook friends with a few of them and decided to fly across the country so we could all party together, in costume, and then see the premiere of the movie our costumes are based off of.

Sorry, but that's freakin cool to say. Can't wait. Should be a great time and a lot of fun to meet everyone.

That's just crazy awesome!!!

(I'm going to try reposting this, as I think I've gotten lost in the shuffle here. I could really use some help!)

(Major shout out to Annisse. It's because of your costume that I found this site. My jaw dropped open when I saw your costume. So I hope mine can look half as good as yours! :) )

Anyways, salutations all! I've been lurking around the forum for a bit. I was going to sign on a few months back when I wanted to make a Quorra costume. However, I had only seen small bits and pieces of her and wrongly thought her costume was a complex one-piece suit. Now that there's material out, I know that's not the case. So here I am!

I'm still debating whether to do a budget costume for the movie premiere or go high-quality for conventions. But I know there's some things I can use for either.

Undershirt - Ideally, I'd love to purchase material from Soulinertia's amazing silkscreening. But if not, my backup plan is to make a stencil and airbrush gray hexagons onto a black athletic spandex top. Has anybody has any airbrushing-to-shirt experience?

Armour - If I do the budget route, I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it. But if I do the high-quality route, a couple friends and I are going to get a wee bit ambitious. It'll be body-casting time!:love More to come on that...

Gloves - I'm going to hit up the local costuming stores for after-Halloween sales for Quorra's gloves today. Does anyone know what material they used for her gloves in the film? I'm imagining a stretch glove should work alright.

Identity Disk - Are the plastic deluxe toys adequate or should I just make my own?

Skirt - What in the world is going on with that skirt?! Is it a piece all unto itself or is it part of something else?

Pants - As far as I can tell one could use a pair of basic leather leggings for Quorra, right?

Boots - I'm at a loss on how to modify these. I found a really lovely looking pair on ebay yesterday, only to have them be a few sizes too big (AND the sale just ended. Rats!) The closest wedges I've been able to find were an older pair of Colin Stuart for Victoria's Secret black leather wedges. Sadly, Victoria's Secret doesn't carry the leather ones anymore, only stretch wedges.

I ain't even touching the lighting issue yet! My head is positively reeling from reading back over the 37 pages of this thread. Though it's definitely a wealth of information and I thank you all for it.

(I'm going to try reposting this, as I think I've gotten lost in the shuffle here. I could really use some help!)

I ain't even touching the lighting issue yet! My head is positively reeling from reading back over the 37 pages of this thread. Though it's definitely a wealth of information and I thank you all for it.

On the note of lighting and keeping things low profile, this is the site where I ended up buying most of my power inverters:

www.elwirepros.com

Their inverters are very small, and you can conceal them fairly easily if you were to light up your costume. You look on the back of Quorra's costume pics and she has that little box on the small of her back.

yhst-22911593404441_2126_97348
yhst-22911593404441_2126_104741
yhst-22911593404441_2126_109719
yhst-22911593404441_2126_116196

If I knew about this site earlier I probably could have had most of my costume run off of the 2, 12v inverters and do away with 2 9v and 2 3v inverters on my sides and arms, respectively.

I don't know if anyone has found anything smaller but I think inch for inch these babies are mint. Check out the site. If you need EL wire, or inverters this is now my main source.

They also have quick connectors. If I was to do the project over from scratch, I would buy these splitters and connectors so I wouldn't have to do ANY splicing, soldering or any other wire work. The whole thing would be plug-and-go.

yhst-22911593404441_2126_1189839
yhst-22911593404441_2126_1202446
yhst-22911593404441_2126_1214346

TheLadyNerd said:
Undershirt - Ideally, I'd love to purchase material from Soulinertia's amazing silkscreening. But if not, my backup plan is to make a stencil and airbrush gray hexagons onto a black athletic spandex top. Has anybody has any airbrushing-to-shirt experience?

Still working on getting the pattern silkscreened in larger quantities. About how many yards of material would you be interested in? (Same question goes to everyone on here interested.)

Armour - If I do the budget route, I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it. But if I do the high-quality route, a couple friends and I are going to get a wee bit ambitious. It'll be body-casting time! More to come on that...

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Gloves - I'm going to hit up the local costuming stores for after-Halloween sales for Quorra's gloves today. Does anyone know what material they used for her gloves in the film? I'm imagining a stretch glove should work alright.

I'd agree the main glove appears to be spandex. However, the portion that encompasses the EL light is rubber/latex.

Identity Disk - Are the plastic deluxe toys adequate or should I just make my own?

A few simple modifications for lighting and the toy is perfect!

Skirt - What in the world is going on with that skirt?! Is it a piece all unto itself or is it part of something else?

Looks strange in some shots. Seems like a basic rubber/latex sheet cut at an angle.

Pants - As far as I can tell one could use a pair of basic leather leggings for Quorra, right?

yup

Boots - I'm at a loss on how to modify these. I found a really lovely looking pair on ebay yesterday, only to have them be a few sizes too big (AND the sale just ended. Rats!) The closest wedges I've been able to find were an older pair of Colin Stuart for Victoria's Secret black leather wedges. Sadly, Victoria's Secret doesn't carry the leather ones anymore, only stretch wedges.

Seems like it would be easy enough to modify a regular pair of high heel boots and convert them into a wedge look.

On the note of lighting and keeping things low profile, this is the site where I ended up buying most of my power inverters:

www.elwirepros.com

Their inverters are very small, and you can conceal them fairly easily if you were to light up your costume. You look on the back of Quorra's costume pics and she has that little box on the small of her back.

If I knew about this site earlier I probably could have had most of my costume run off of the 2, 12v inverters and do away with 2 9v and 2 3v inverters on my sides and arms, respectively.

I don't know if anyone has found anything smaller but I think inch for inch these babies are mint. Check out the site. If you need EL wire, or inverters this is now my main source.

They also have quick connectors. If I was to do the project over from scratch, I would buy these splitters and connectors so I wouldn't have to do ANY splicing, soldering or any other wire work. The whole thing would be plug-and-go.

I'm using one heavy duty power inverter to light everything. Still very compact. It's only 3" x 1" x 1.5".

www.elwirepros.com

I can also attest for Coollight: CooLight.com - Lowest pricing on Electroluminescent Wire and Inverters

This is who I bought my elwire from (for my undershirt and helmet)
They had the wire, inverter, and extra splices to me in 3 days (regular mail, not express) and everything was great!

I would only add to Compass's post that you should figure out the amount of wire you will use and get the inverter for that size. Each inverter works best with the correct amount (in feet) elwire. If you need to run 20' of elwire then get an inverter that can handle 15-30'. that way if you end up getting more wire you can still use the same inverter.

If you go "Light Tape" route then be aware their inverters are POWERFUL, but you have to add up the total square INCHES of light being illuminated. for instance my jacket has 8 feet of 2" tape as well as 4 feet of 1' tape so I got an inverter that could handle 250 square inches of light tape. YES you can get more than one inverter and run 1/2 on one and 1/2 on another you just have to do the math and figure out your design and what will work. Be aware that with each inverter comes another battery (or battery pack, if it's a 12V inverter) and that will add to the weight and size.

Good luck!!

i might be going to the midnight showing at downtown disney... a few friends are going... don't know yet, because i want to see it on IMAX first!

we are all going to the IMAX at 7pm that friday if you want to go in costume and meet up before hand.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

As far as the lighting goes, I'm debating between going the El tape or El wire route. (I was initially going to go with reflective tape, which looks fantastic in photos, but it doesn't light up in person. However, I'll go with it if I can get anything else to work.) But thanks for the link Compass!

Have you guys had any experience with these sites and some of their products? (Glowire has some interesting LED tape.)

Glowire Electroluminescent Wire
Electroluminescent sheets, tapes and EL inverters

I'm holding off on getting an identity disk until this one comes out. I'm curious about it's quality.

TRON Legacy Deluxe Identity Disc Replica - Spin Master - Tron - Roleplay at Entertainment Earth

I did manage to score a great pair of faux leather leggings at Forever 21 (ladies, if you want a pair, they're on the clearance rack. Get 'em while you can!) They're not leather, but they don't have that liquid shine either. They've got a great matte look that I believe looks very similar to Quorra's. (The one in the picture below is the exact same material as the one I got. Mine just has a taller waistband on it.)

55985350-01.jpg

Soulinertia - I'm not sure how much yardage I need yet. I will get back to you on that.

Eh, boots are tricky. If you don't wrap it just so it can throw one off balance. However wedges are not "in style" this season, so they're a bit hard to find. Then again, Goodwill and thrift shops may turn up some gems! :love

Have you guys had any experience with these sites and some of their products? (Glowire has some interesting LED tape.)

Electroluminescent sheets, tapes and EL inverters

I bought all of my EL Sheet from that site. They are quick, and I mean quick to deliver. Aside from the EL sheet, if you decide to go that route, I would recommend other sites like the link I mentioned above for EL wire, inverters, and connecting cables.

But I can't find another online shop ANYWHERE in the US that sells and ships EL Sheet.

Very soon I'll post a tutorial on how to prep EL Sheet for use on a costume (something I've been meaning to do but put off. stupid halloween deadlines).

Finally decided to sign up for the forum after following this thread since the beginning! I'm loving the info and tips being posted here!

Me and a friend are working on the Tron Legacy versions of Daft Punk from the movie. So far, the helmets are coming along nicely, except that I have yet to find a supply of PET plastic so I can vacuum form the visors.

Looking through the thread, I managed to find out more about reflective sheeting, and I've already managed to secure around 4m of it for the patterns on the costume.

Cant wait to debut it at the premiere in December!

Hey actordiver, got my tix last night, I'm in K row next to where Annisse is seated, I think K18. And I should have a non-lighted costume ready for the premier!

My main thing, is that there is a group going for midnight, and I am kind of on the fence about going to the midnight show...

Last edited:
I bought all of my EL Sheet from that site. They are quick, and I mean quick to deliver. Aside from the EL sheet, if you decide to go that route, I would recommend other sites like the link I mentioned above for EL wire, inverters, and connecting cables.

But I can't find another online shop ANYWHERE in the US that sells and ships EL Sheet.

Very soon I'll post a tutorial on how to prep EL Sheet for use on a costume (something I've been meaning to do but put off. stupid halloween deadlines).

Thanks for the post Compass, and it would be wonderful for you to also post on the EL Sheet.. granted that it is time consuming. Just want you to know that your post is in demand!!

I'm holding off on getting an identity disk until this one comes out. I'm curious about it's quality.

TRON Legacy Deluxe Identity Disc Replica - Spin Master - Tron - Roleplay at Entertainment Earth

That's the disk most of us have. It's already out and available in stores like toys r us and target..for less money too. ;)

Speaking of Identity disk..has anyone figured out how to wire it so the push button can be an on off switch?...I know on the back there are 2 switch settings one for "on" and one for "try me" on.

Might be cool if someone figured out how to make it so it would just be in constant "illumination" mode. (yes I know the batteries would drain faster)

Hey actordiver, got my tix last night, I'm in K row next to where Annisse is seated, I think K18. And I should have a non-lighted costume ready for the premier!

My main thing, is that there is a group going for midnight, and I am kind of on the fence about going to the midnight show...

I feel the same way..part of me wants to see it at midnight..but the other part of me wants to see it for the first time with everyone else...what to do..what to do?!?!?!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back