Tron Legacy Costume

WOW! yeah easier said than done ;) I would really have to see a demo in person or at least a video to understand how that cuttable EL sheeting works. All I need is to see it once and I can take on constructing the costume on me own. That EL sheeting is totally new to me, I have never even heard of it till I came to this forum :)

Thank you for your help!
~A

I did just find this forum post about how a guy used this for a tron inspired arcade controller:High-end artwork mod #2: Electroluminescent Panel

Interesting but does not help on how you would apply the EL Panel sheet to the Tron Legacy costumes. All he did was cut holes for his controller to this panel, I understand that, simple, but how would you cut multiple stripes then attach all those stripes to your TL costumes and get all those individual stripes to light up???

~A

im thinking the same thing

the lights are probably the hardest part of these damn costumes

i mean you can always be cheap and use reflective tape, but who really wants to do that

and Carboxyll
my girlfriend and i were thinking of trying that
i was told that it doesn't really work buy the guy who designed the manufactured the Tron inspired motorcycle jackets at Comic-con

but i have this feeling if you do it just right it should-work
so i say give it a try and tell us how it works out

cause my guess that will be cheaper and easier then like EL Sheeting and whatnot

i was told that it doesn't really work buy the guy who designed the manufactured the Tron inspired motorcycle jackets at Comic-con

but i have this feeling if you do it just right it should-work
so i say give it a try and tell us how it works out

cause my guess that will be cheaper and easier then like EL Sheeting and whatnot

I remember speaking with you. You had that killer Mad Hatter costume on...great suit BTW.

Let me just add that you guys here are capable of anything. I'm constantly blown away with what you're all doing and I'm sure that you'll all find suitable ways of lighting your own suits. What I personally deemed unfit, not usable or inappropriate for our suits was based on bulk production factors and possible headaches we'd be facing if we did the lights one way VS another.
Truth be told, it's a complicated process even for us...but what we chose to not use, for what ever reason.... may work wonders for you guys and your suits just the same.:thumbsup

My advice....try everything. Experiment...go nuts!!!! Have fun with it all and I'm sure each and every one of you will find suitable ways of getting the lights to work to your satisfaction.

When I said "doesn't work" .... was directly related to our product and how we need to have it all function. I can only bet that in the next few weeks/months you all are going to find ways of making this all work in a fantastic way.

Dont let any one person discourage you, and if our talk in any way did that then please accept my apologies....and continue to explore these options shown in this thread.

Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

David
Universal Designs Ltd.

are the sam flynn legacy suits blue or white lights? i cant decide in most of the promo shots or screen shots they look white and in the trailers they look kinda blue to my eyes

OH DUDE YOUR ON HERE!
cooool
now we can be friends XD

but yeah, my girlfriend os nuts
i told her what you told me and she was like
"Whateve, i wana try it anyway" XD

we have a few new ideas since ive been scouting these threads
so ill be sure to post our progress

and it was great talking with you, i hope to see you again next year ^^
(buy the way, you are still selling the Batman suits right, a friend of mine wants one like theres no tomorrow)

and Ken
im sure there white
but a light blue would register just as well

I tried making a quick mold just to see how the EL wire would look in the suit.
I poured the mold with some silicone i colored black.... It didnt turn out well 1. because i didnt let it cure all the way, 2. Its too low of a durometer I used.

Next time I will try a higher durometer silicone so it will be more stiff.i cut some reflective tape and layed it down, and then EL wire, then the test samples of the silicon.

eh.. I'm not happy with it, i'll play around with it some more and figure another way to diffuse the light. Hopefully the higher durometer silicon will have a crisper edge and hold its shape better.

oh yea, i guess i should explain the pictues.... I cut a mold, then sprayed smooth-on mold release (you can veg. oil if in a bind), smoothe on pigment mixed in with the silicon. put in a vacuum for 4 mins to degass it.

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread on here, but I thought it was relevant here as well.

After seeing this article about the new TRON: Legacy/Adidas apparel collaboration:

AJANAKU » Blog Archive » Adidas x TRON: Legacy x Oryon Tech

I checked out the Oryontech website at Oryon Technologies : Innovative Technology. Endless Possibilities... [www.oryontech.com] and realized that the ELastolite technology was what they used on the actual costumes for the movie. I was mistaken in an earlier post (possibly another thread) when I said that LightTape was what was used in the movie; it was actually ELastolite. The ELastolite technology is different than that of LightTape. It's created using a different process and the end product is actually thinner, more flexible and more pliable. I have no idea how much the ELastolite costs, but from what I've read on the wardrobe costs for TRON: Legacy, it probably ain't cheap. I may email them and see if I can get some more info.

I emailed Oryontech last night inquiring about pricing information and such. Hopefully, they'll get back to me pretty quickly. I'll post any information I receive.

If it's ridiculously expensive, I'm like you SithsPadawan, EL tape and wire it is! :)

My friend was responsible for sewing some of the hero costumes. I will ask what the different materials were made from.

Biker

My friend was responsible for sewing some of the hero costumes. I will ask what the different materials were made from.

Biker

Hi there,

So you mean your friend sewed the actual movie costumes??? Yes please ask your friend what was used for the light source exactly and where one can get that HEX print custom made. I am already half way done with my upper body armour on my Quorra costume and want to order my lights soon.

Thank you,
~Annissë

Last edited:
are the sam flynn legacy suits blue or white lights? i cant decide in most of the promo shots or screen shots they look white and in the trailers they look kinda blue to my eyes

Yeah I am trying to figure that out too. Are the lights white or blue?

~A

Hi Annisse,

The website that was mentioned earlier, Electroluminescent Sheets and Panels states that sheets can be "overlapped so that no seam is visible in a field of light." The custom Cut and Shape sheets have terminals along all four sides of the sheet, so as long as you keep any two terminals attached, the sheet will light up. The way I've thought about cutting them and rigging them to the power source would be through the use of splitters. For example, the A4 sized custom sheet has a lit area of 7.7 inches x 11.1 inches, which means you can have, for instance, 7 different one-inch wide strips that are 11 inches long. Since the sheets can be overlapped, you can overlap each 11 inch segment with another one (tape them together or attach them some other way) until you reach the desired length. At that point, you would need to use multiple splitters so that you can split the single connection coming out of the driver in order to connect to each 11 inch segment. Some drivers come with multiple splitters, I saw a 4 way splitter on another site somewhere. That's one way you could do it. You'd be running wire all over your body, but you would be making the most of the EL sheet.

Using that same concept, you can cut out angles (such as those on Quorra's arms and thighs) and overlap them with straight segments. It may be a bit cumbersome, but I think it might achieve the desired effect. I hope this makes sense. If it's not clear, send me a message and I'll see if I can explain it a little better.

Good luck on your Quorra suit! :)

Thanks so much for explaining this to me. It helps alot. I guess at this point I should just order a sheet and go for it. Cut the pieces out and start attaching them to my Quorra chest piece armour I have made. I am not quite ready yet maybe in another day or so.

I think what is stumping me are the splitters. I understand the driver or inverter because I have used those before. Actually I have used splitters but for EL Wire when I was lighting multiple wire colors to my one driver source. I am not sure I understand how the splitters will be connected to all those overlapping EL sheets.

~A

oh yea, i guess i should explain the pictues.... I cut a mold, then sprayed smooth-on mold release (you can veg. oil if in a bind), smoothe on pigment mixed in with the silicon. put in a vacuum for 4 mins to degass it.

DANG!!! I think that looks really good! are you a perfectionist like me??? because if you think you need to improve that, you must be :)

~A

I emailed Oryontech last night inquiring about pricing information and such. Hopefully, they'll get back to me pretty quickly. I'll post any information I receive.

If it's ridiculously expensive, I'm like you SithsPadawan, EL tape and wire it is! :)

Oh man, just checked out that Oryontech site out and yeah I can imagine that stuff ain't gonna be cheap, especially if it was the actual lighting used for a high budget movie.

Well, please let us know what you find out when they reply back, I am very curious myself. Damn me and my perfectionism always wanting to have the best exact stuff they used in the movie, it don't come cheap! :wacko

~A

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back