Tron Legacy Costume

Or how about a good source for neoprene that I could use to make the upper body part of the suit.

Having a tough time deciding between using neoprene or finding a leather jacket to use instead. An oversized wetsuit might work too.

Would love to do the plasti-dipped fun foam on top of a black spandex suit (which I happen to have), but not sure I have the skills to do so.

If anyone on here is an expert on the process, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks.

well its been so long since i posted a pic of anykind
so i figured i should let you know what im all up to
SDC11758.jpg
SDC11803.jpg

if the pictures work you may have figured out im doing Castor ^^
well, kinda. I dont have the time to do the pants just yet so im doing Eckerts pants and hair from ElecTRONica. but the coat and cane are all Castor

i used EL for my disk as a temporary solution till i can get Souls
but i made the cane all my own. infact ill be selling them and i can make the cane glow in any color, even change colors ^^

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I have been reading up on this forum for over a week! I desperately want to have an awesome TRON costume for Halloween. I even put aside a $150 budget for it. Initially I thought it would be very simple, but the more I read, the more discouraged I get. I am in no way arts and crafts savvy. I want to do the el wire route, but I don't think I would be able to pull it off. I just don't have the knowledge or skill. I know an easy solution is the reflective tape, but much like many of you, I want that real life glow soooo bad! I want this suit so bad, but I am afraid it will never happen. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

@JDiz, I am in mostly the same boat as you in having little experience, although I did make a Legend of Zelda Hylian shield using foamcore and fun foam, but I am forging ahead with this costume.

I am relying on the advice from the awesome people on here to help guide me through this journey.

I say you do the same.

I will light up on Halloween!

Yep, i'll definitely need to see through this thing. I'm going to make a model using some liquid plastic from Smooth-On, Inc. - Mold Making & Casting Materials Rubber, Plastic, Lifecasting, and More, (pretty good site if you're trying to do this kind of thing, this is my first attempt, but they have a lot of how-to videos to help out).

From the model, I'll cut out what i perceive as the visor,and vacuum form some plexi for it. I'm planning that the the natural lines of the helmet will help blend the visor in, but I do expect some contrast between the tint of the visor, and the darkness of the helmet --hoping for the best.
View attachment 69729
View attachment 69730

Suggestions welcome! as always

Visors are a difficult subject. For my first build I took a snowboard helmet, added the EL wire/tape, then I made the visor blank out of card and resin so it would be flush to the outside of the helmet making a continuous surface. I then vacformed over the whole thing and cut off the exess. If you painted the helmet black and only tint the visor section, the EL tape/wire will show through nicely but still appear black when not turned on.

Hi everyone! I have been reading up on this forum for over a week! I desperately want to have an awesome TRON costume for Halloween. I even put aside a $150 budget for it. Initially I thought it would be very simple, but the more I read, the more discouraged I get. I am in no way arts and crafts savvy. I want to do the el wire route, but I don't think I would be able to pull it off. I just don't have the knowledge or skill. I know an easy solution is the reflective tape, but much like many of you, I want that real life glow soooo bad! I want this suit so bad, but I am afraid it will never happen. Any advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Don't let it get to you. My avatar was my first experience with EL wire/tape. If you explain to the people where you will be purchasing your wire/tape from they may even cut the lengths of wire to your spec and put all the connectors on for you as well. My biggest problem was getting the wire to stick to my outfit, but I came up with a neat idea as a fix so I'm going to put in the junkyard when I've finished testing it. With a bit of perseverance you can reach your goal, and think how awesome it will be to have a Tron costume you made yourself. If you want to ask any in-depth questions just PM me and I will help all I can.:)

Amazing work lately everyone. couple notes.

I am making a red costume. it will have some ideas that are Clu but more my own design.

I have decided to go with LED with the diffusion. on top of the shower curtin, I am using a red masking tape. it makes a nice red color and difuses the white LED well. I got the LED for pretty cheap from Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Flexible Light Strip 300 SMD Bright White LED Ribbon 5 Meter or 16 Feet By Ledwholesalers, 2026wh: Home Improvement

It looks a lot better than these photos since this was my version 1.0 with the LED.

I have never soldered before but it has been pretty easy. Just buy some speaker wire to run the different sections of the costume to a single battery back. i will post more photos when it gets closer to being done.

@jason527, Cool stuff so far.

I think I am gonna go the LED diffusion route too.

Do you have a pointer to the how-to for the diffusion method?

Also, I am assuming the LED strip is cuttable?

What material is your actual suit made out of?

Keep on trucking.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey man (or woman), I know how you feel and can empathize. Hopefully, what I have to say will give you a few ideas and help with the costume.

I wanted to make a replica Tron costume as well, but I have never worked with EL Tape before. I've been working with electronics for years, and that has taught me to at least plan small and work up from there. So, instead of going full out, I'm just going to add a few pieces of EL Tape to some very choice articles of clothing (a black vest, a fedora hat, and possibly shoes). I will also try to add pics and some details on how I did it as I progress.

It's not the whole setup, but it's a start to learn how to work with the material and will be a pretty slick costume style (my own version of Castor). Maybe something like that would be a good compromise for you? Also, nice thing about this is that they could be worn to just random parties or out at a club sometime. Maybe find something like a hoodie or jacket to use one strip of EL tape? It'd give you that Tron look, and it would be a lot more do-able especially since Halloween is creeping closer.

I'm also going to have a Castor-esque cane, but I've already got that complete since I made a Luxeon LED style lightsaber long ago that still works. I must say though, much respect to SithsPadawan for his Castor cane. If I didn't already have a fit for one and wasn't on a tight as hell budget, I would buy one of those. So damn classy!

Well, started looking in earnest for a good base jacket today. I went with a $30 pleather bomber jacket from Burlington Coat Factory, but comparing it to production photos, it's not close enough for my taste. Guess I'll trawl the racks at Burlington (and the nearby Salvation Army) tomorrow!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back