Tron Legacy Costume

Thank you, here is a quick video, I just uploaded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGGOeyTgKlE

meh-vflQF1ybI.png

This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

We were hoping to see you at the Tron shoot, Annisse! We saw Kit, but didn't get a chance to see you! You looked HAWT!

I had a major malfunction with my Tron shoes Thursday night -_-. The wrapping I packed them in STUCK to the shoes due to the humidity. I had a melt down, got some paint delivered to me via my bf's dad who works up there and fixed them...*sigh* Siren costume almost didn't happen.

And yeah her suit was a rubber-looking PVC, I think. Didn't get close enough to inspect and it was dark. I had similar material I was working with to begin with and ended up scrapping it because I couldn't get the pattern right :\. Other costumes got in the way of perfecting our Tron costumes, since we also started out with EL tape and EL wire and ended up using reflective material to save time and energy.

Yeah, maybe it was a cop out, but I thought it came out pretty good! Also, the look on peoples' faces as they took a picture, not knowing about the reflective material, and seeing the outcome was priceless! They were all "WHOA! CRAP! SHINY!" LOL

OMG! girl! I would've had a heart attack if any part of my costume didn't work out. HA! one little chip on my Siren shoes I would freak out and touch it up before I packed them in my DCon luggage.

So happy you got your shoes back in working order to wear for DCon. I so want to go back in time and do DCon with all the Tron group all over again to be part of the shoot and just hang out and have fun with everyone. It just went by WAAAAAAAAAY to fast.

I have been out of the loop for a while, with work and film projects but I finally got a chance to upload my Tron pics. I decided to have a friend of mine wear it because once it was fully put on, it made it very difficult to take it off on your own, and I felt more comfortable doing it my self then having others, I did not want it to get damaged. I don't have a lot of free time these days so this is all I was able to invest in this project, I did not complete the back leg lights, the feet and the lower back middle light. I hope you guys like the suit as much as I have loved looking at all of your projects, Cheers.

You can view more pics at my website www.eddieadyr.com
I also uploaded High Res versions on my DeviantArt account. There is a link to it on my website.
02R.jpg

07R1.jpg

Nice work Eddie! Love seeing everyone's work here. So exciting. Nice action shot pose with the disc on the 2nd photo there too. Good location too. A good background, I believe, makes all the difference in the look and feel of your costume. I love to get the right setting whenever I can.

I still want to have a proper photo shoot with my Siren and Quorra costumes on location.

I am going to be shooting them at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Downtown Los Angeles. Either before the year is over, maybe around Halloween time. My friend Benn Robbins who does amazing photography, but lives in Boston, is coming in January to LA but, I don't know if I can wait that long :p I have been wanting to do a shoot at the WDCH for awhile now.

wdch.jpg

Here's a couple more pics of my Siren costume and got a close up of my contact lens that I wore. They are silver with a bit of a dark circle around the edge.

Wow, your costume looks awesome and you are right location makes a big difference on photo shoots. I think your pictures are going to be insane, that location you picked looks amazing. I checked out your website good stuff :)

Where did you find the sleeveless hoodie? I had a lot of trouble finding one and when I did, it unded up having a collar under the hood. Oh and where did you buy the lighting?
First off. Epic Annisse, the first and still very revolutionary. I'm tripped out over the end of line concept maiden.

Second
314826_257652754267426_100000681109325_881489_1901935376_n.jpg

(cane not part of cosplay)

Aside from the hands all the pieces are twice maybe three time the size of actual tron. And in truth this is actually a really cheap cosplay, because surface area for lights is not that much. The most expensive piece was the guess sleaveless hoodie (too expensive, but it was just so perfect for this cosplay). Aside from that, less than 80-100, not considering time.

I'm still waiting for more pics from my friends amazing camera (its just an actual camera over the crap ones my phone takes). And I got a pm from someone about my gloves, which I will show how. Plus I'm thinking of selling the gloves, because I need the money.

Still looking for anyone else who did the gloves, and I think I'm the only one thats powered. One other used glow stiks and tape, another used reflective.

Where did you find the sleeveless hoodie? I had a lot of trouble finding one and when I did, it unded up having a collar under the hood. Oh and where did you buy the lighting?

Its as my last post says, From the guess store. Sleeveless hoodie, flipping expensive but perfect.

As for the lights, I knew about it long ago, but I waited to see others who bought it, and seeing it live I was sold. Its from luminous films, same as annisse. I choose teal because off its white, plus it was the brightest of their products (surprisingly above white).

Where'd you get yours (the green)?

Problem with most of the colors is that their brightness is halved!
I wanna do red, but its the worst. I will eventually do yellow (clu) and its tied with white interms of brightness. Oddly it uses the same power but its physics that make one color brighter than the others, and I see why now optimus wasn't fully red or why the villians in Legacy were orange as oppose to red. Red is the worst color to work with.

I got mine from glowhut. nothing to fancy on my end haha
Its as my last post says, From the guess store. Sleeveless hoodie, flipping expensive but perfect.

As for the lights, I knew about it long ago, but I waited to see others who bought it, and seeing it live I was sold. Its from luminous films, same as annisse. I choose teal because off its white, plus it was the brightest of their products (surprisingly above white).

Where'd you get yours (the green)?

I wanna do red, but its the worst. I will eventually do yellow (clu) and its tied with white interms of brightness. Oddly it uses the same power but its physics that make one color brighter than the others, and I see why now optimus wasn't fully red or why the villians in Legacy were orange as oppose to red. Red is the worst color to work with.

I choose teal because off its white, plus it was the brightest of their products (surprisingly above white).

Is that the same with high bright El Wire, you think??
I've been debating re-doing my suit with white wire instead of the
blue-green wire I have now, but I don't want my overall brightness
to go down. As it stands, the blue-green is actually really bright.
Thoughts?

Ps, your TRON gloves are frickin rad dude! Very accurate,
and just bad-*ss in general :D

You mean how they actually made the costumes for the movie?
Full body plaster casting and latex molding is beyond what most hobbyists are capable of doing. If you have experience doing sculpting and casting appliances, go for it. But if you have experience, you'd probably already know the time and expense involved to do a full body suit. Know what you abilities are, find a method within your means. If you try something new, be prepared to make mistakes.
Most of us have a day job and do this as a hobby on our spare time. Many come to this thread attempting their first costume.
Watch a couple of episodes of face off to see the work involved in casting.

Seeing all these pics from Dcon makes me want to go next year!

I'll definitely check that out and yeah while I'm confident in makin a simple glove or sleeve I don't know about making the entire suit, cost isn't so much the issue as is the expertise involved. But I will definitely be exploring all options before this undertaking. Thanks for the input! :D

I dont know about brightness but judging from alot of the diffusion methods ive seen, white reflects better
Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

In terms of physics, green will always be the brightest to us, and red the worst. Since they only make teal and white, green will always be a filter over teal and possibly white. Besides Teal and White all other colors are a filter film over these two colors, and with filters you'll have loss.

As for the exact answer to your question, it depends on the manufacturer. Luminous films was kind enough to give a spec sheet (without the need to troll their website);
Website (click me cause I'm blue and pretty)
In the middle of the page you find a table, under 'output' brightness is usually measured in cd/m2 (in square meters) not to be confused with square inches (be warned to make the conversion if you're comparing).

If you find the spec sheet for that high bright wire and post it here I can help you understand it and compare.

Relative to Luminous films I know teal is brighter than its white, for others I can't say for sure, but from what I seen teal is usually brighter. But the one you mentioned is high bright, so I can't conclusively say until we see the spec sheet.

Another thing is that with wire diffusion, only one side of the wire projects light while the other has to reflect it back. With flat tape the entire surface area can be projected outward as intended. In terms of cost wire wins and reflective is the cheapest, but with wires your going to have lots of loss.

What you have is dope, but if you have the funds to upgrade I'd go with el tape. Its easier to connect the lead to it as well.

LED would be the brightest but it makes the cosplay so thick its like armor, and you still have to deal with dead spots and diffusing properly. Someone out there will get the diffusion right with LED, but it'll be a lot of hassle.

Last edited:
Re: Tron Legacy Costume - Gloves

This is my very first post here as a new member. Hello, everyone.
I was at DragonCon and saw some of the awesomeness discussed on this thread. Well done, all!
My own meager attempt to make a Tron Legacy costume led to at least one thing I can offer you folks who are mostly much more experienced than me. Even the best male costumes I saw were conspicuously missing suitable gloves. Assuming you're going for the main "Sam Flynn" look, the hands should have some cutaway "half-gloves" which are easily made because they don't have any lighting stripes at all. (Attach is a good reference shot showing the film gloves.) The ridiculous, overpriced UD Replicas outfit gloves are all wrong (apparently it's supposed to double as a functional motorcycle suit, which is just not a practical approach to a convincing Tron costume in my opinion).
There are lots of easy choices for suitable gloves. The ones I got were from WalMart, of all places, in the men's wear section. I got some thin, high-dexterity, utility gloves for about 10-12 bucks, then just blacked out the logo with a Sharpie marker. Only the index finger and thumb need to be enclosed; cutting out the rest was easy, including some spaces on the hand which made them cooler to wear. Another good option are the generic black gloves available from costume supply houses - in my town we have a Party City store which carries a longer version for $15, where the extra length helps make sure there's no gap at the sleeve cuff.
I haven't read the whole 172 pages of forum posts to know whether there was a discussion of Tron boots, but that's another topic I'd like to get into.... I'll save it for another post though.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am amazed by everyone's costumes. I would like to do one as well for halloween. I have read all these pages and I am still confused by how I will approach this. I will do some more re-reading and will post some questions when I get stuck.

Hey Marc, did you receive my messages? I have sent you pm's and an e-mail with no response. Thanks.

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am amazed by everyone's costumes. I would like to do one as well for halloween. I have read all these pages and I am still confused by how I will approach this. I will do some more re-reading and will post some questions when I get stuck.

Hey Marc, did you receive my messages? I have sent you pm's and an e-mail with no response. Thanks.

Yes Neotoky, I got them. Sorry I didn't get get you a response sooner; been hella busy keeping up with all the emails and messages. I sometimes forget who I responded to :confused. My whole suit was constructed using methods and advice from all the awesome people on this thread! Just do what I did, and re-read the thread a few times. It takes many many hours, but I re-read this thing probably 6 or 7 times. My light technique is all credit to Eddieadryr. Go to page 42 for his tutorial on the method he perfected. My armor styling is all credit to Twinight, he helped me 100% with that. Search for the thread of how he constructed his guard concept, you'll see all the methods he used to make his, which is what I used to make mine. I just glued all my light tracks directly onto the armor. I used 2-12v 8AA inverters. The one powering my torso and arms is hidden in the disc hub, and the one for my legs is hidden in the vertical box located on the lower back. I didn't total up the cost of my suit. I'm running about 65 feet of high bright el wire which alone, with shipping and soldering services, was almost $200. I'd say another $200 for all the armor materials, paint, glue, batteries, etc. This suit also took me about 5-6 months to make, but I worked slowly. Any other specific questions, please let me know!

Yes Neotoky, I got them. Sorry I didn't get get you a response sooner; been hella busy keeping up with all the emails and messages. I sometimes forget who I responded to :confused. My whole suit was constructed using methods and advice from all the awesome people on this thread! Just do what I did, and re-read the thread a few times. It takes many many hours, but I re-read this thing probably 6 or 7 times. My light technique is all credit to Eddieadryr. Go to page 42 for his tutorial on the method he perfected. My armor styling is all credit to Twinight, he helped me 100% with that. Search for the thread of how he constructed his guard concept, you'll see all the methods he used to make his, which is what I used to make mine. I just glued all my light tracks directly onto the armor. I used 2-12v 8AA inverters. The one powering my torso and arms is hidden in the disc hub, and the one for my legs is hidden in the vertical box located on the lower back. I didn't total up the cost of my suit. I'm running about 65 feet of high bright el wire which alone, with shipping and soldering services, was almost $200. I'd say another $200 for all the armor materials, paint, glue, batteries, etc. This suit also took me about 5-6 months to make, but I worked slowly. Any other specific questions, please let me know!

No problem, Marc. I appreciate the help and will definitely as you the specifics when I start it. Thanks.

tron-costume-shoe-mod-258291132

Hi everyone! I really need help putting these two shoes together for my Siren costume. I have no shoe modding experience whatsoever. tips for what glue to use, how to take the shoes apart without messing them up, etc would be SUPER helpful. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I saw some great TRON costumes at Dragon*Con, and you caught a bunch of them in the thread here. I was a little frustrated because the guy that commissioned the Tron Jacket from me backed out, and I didn't have a chance to finish it. Now it's sitting half-finished in a garment bag, about 10 hours of work from complete. Maybe I'll get it done by Halloween.

But I just saw this great pic of Annise by Photognome and had to share:
6145129490_4717697ca2_o.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back