Tron Legacy Costume

I used heavy duty metal hooks on one side of the chest armour and put the whole thing over my head. Haha there is actually electrical tape all over the place now too to hold parts that are falling apart. Tiny liitle corners that are tearing. It blends very well with my facing black matte vinyl I used so you can't even tell.

I sewed those metal clasps onto the craft foam build. They keep coming apart due to the tight fit and I have to keep resewing the hooks. Craft foam and the felt lining are just not durable to hold up to all that pressure and movement of my body. That is why the memory foam sounds like a great idea to line it much more durable.

The arm armour was sewn at the seams and and I just slipped them up my arms. The lower part of the arm below the elbows have industrial strength Velcro to hold it down to my bodysuit so it won't be flopping around and stay in place the ends are electrical taped to my middle finger.

Pretty cheap but unless you have 60K like the movie then the cheap route will have to do ;P

~A

Thank you so much!!! You've been a huge help! :D Do you mean heavy duty hooks as in.... I should venture to a hardware store? Or do they sell larger hook/eye kits at craft stores? I hardly ever use snaps, hooks, eyes, grommets...all that metal stuff... anything like that so I'm not to sure where the best place is to get what.

Thanks!!!

Re: The Back of Sam Flynn's Right Leg

OK, need extra pairs of eyes here.

Look closely at the back of Sam's right leg. Am I crazy, or is that a number '3' on the back. If not, I'd like to get that design right but unfortunately it's the only shot I have to work with so far. Most all other media on-line shows the front or the upper back.

also confirming it is in fact a '3'. it's in the toys and pics i've seen from san diego comic-con. plus, they're selling tron hats with the logo at the disney elecTronica:
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

while most people seem to be aiming at costumes that would fit in that world, and not necessarily exact replicas, the disney staff in tron costumes had interesting designs. the tron staff were either wearing black or white spandex costumes with sport pads or other various custom top layers -some with reflective material. their identity discs seem to be using magnets. i've seen the dancers simply pull them out and stick them back on their backs.

if any of you go to elecTronica, the advanced 3d exclusive shows the part of the movie where sam is dressed in costume. without spoiling anything, it's like spandex hexagon fitted second-skin pajamas that are then layered/covered with the tron lighted, black armor. the identity disc was shown to lock in after inserting in on the back and turning it a few degrees clockwise (to the right).

here are various pictures of elecTronica in my photoset:
tron elecTronica - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
Ahhh thanks so much :) memory foam huh? Where can I get some memory foam? That is exactly what I need now. The felt I have lining the inside of my chest and arm armour is crap. The glue is all coming off when I wear them and move around. I need to find a way to then mount the memory foam into the armour. Maybe epoxy??? Buying tons of epoxy will be quite pricey but alot cheaper than 60Gs :D

I can't wait to get my Glow paint now if you are say this is what UDReplicas used on their motorcycle suits. David is on these forums, has he or will he confirm that is what was used?

Thanks!
~A
Yeah! I think the cat's out of the bag. We all know how expensive this EL tape is. By the way what kind of white paint Annisse will you be using?
If everyone wants to see Disney's opening of electronica there's quite a bit of footage on YOU TUBE. Type in DISNEY ELECTRONICA. There's great footage of the different outfits from the TRON world. Even one of the girl dancers drops an ID disc. Hope those that go have fun!:lol

Has anyone taken a look at this stuff? It's fabric that actually lights up.

Luminex - idea -
The US distributor is www.romanillumination.com Although this looks like fiberoptic wire The effect looks a little finer. Hey they may use this in the next TRON film. This is impressive, But very expensive. A sample is $50.00.
I will say this that it's easier to hook up than the EL tape. A maybe a bit cheaper. I think it's to distracting. This is something more for clubs or bar wear. We'll have to keep this in mind! Good find!:rolleyes

I will make some inquiries for you on the fabric printing, not really sure. It was likely fairly expensive to produce but you never know unless you ask.

Laser Cut Stencils can be ordered online - you need to provide the art usually. Custom Stencils, Stencils these guys offer custom laser cut graphic stencils starting at $35 but you would want a quote.

just thinking out loud:

I was wondering with the stencils, wouldn't there be an issue with the holes? if you paint the hexagon, there needs to be something masking the inner part. and, if the inner center is masked on the stencil, there would need to be something holding it onto the sheet. this would require more than one pass and maybe rotate the sheet + match the hex pattern & re-spray in order to fill in the gaps from the stencil.

on the same line of thought, if someone was to make a laser-cut stamp-on pattern, it might work.

so, perhaps printing the pattern would be easiest.

interesting also that the motorcycle jacket fabric is using infused silicon for the tron-e-os, but the movie one appears to be fabric ink.

lastly, if the stencils are workable, there's rustoelum reflective spray i've been curious about. one might be able to use to make the custom patterns reflective without the need for tape:
Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 214944 Reflective 10-Ounce Spray, Reflective: Home Improvement

and, there's black scotchlite reflective tape here for more ideas:
Amazon.com: 3M 79902 Scotchlite Reflective Striping Tape, 1/4-Inch x 50-Foot, Black: Home Improvement

Ahhh thanks so much :) memory foam huh? Where can I get some memory foam? That is exactly what I need now. The felt I have lining the inside of my chest and arm armour is crap. The glue is all coming off when I wear them and move around. I need to find a way to then mount the memory foam into the armour. Maybe epoxy??? Buying tons of epoxy will be quite pricey but alot cheaper than 60Gs :D

I can't wait to get my Glow paint now if you are say this is what UDReplicas used on their motorcycle suits. David is on these forums, has he or will he confirm that is what was used?

Thanks!
~A

Someone already posted this, but here is a good foam to use.
What do you think 1/2" thickness? Its cheap too! Minicel Foam Suppliers, Sports Equipment Foam, Automotive Foams, Cushioning, Padding

So I finished with the shin guards and the helmet. Next week will be the jacket and shirt, then re-coloring the identity disk and making the baton.

Attachments

• RIMG0068.JPG
    RIMG0068.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 346
  • RIMG0082.JPG
    RIMG0082.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 584
  • RIMG0084.JPG
    RIMG0084.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 489
  • RIMG0085.JPG
    RIMG0085.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 464
  • RIMG0086.JPG
    RIMG0086.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 400
  • RIMG0087.JPG
    RIMG0087.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 531
  • RIMG0088.JPG
    RIMG0088.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 457
Hey is that EL wire & EL tape combination? The Green looks great!
I bet it was time consuming!:confused

OMG you have no idea. The tape was an experiment (it's inexpensive computer EL tape) but once you cut it you can't reconnect it....never tell me can't. I found a way to do it....pain in the @$$ but I was able to do it.

Yes the helmet has el tape and wire on it. My motorcycle jacket will have "light tape" the expensive kind (more money but easier to use) and then I have a secret undershirt planned. I'll be using the el wire for that (think throw back to the original movie)

Each shin guard has its own inverter and battery pack (home made box) so does the helmet, as will the jacket and undershirt. 5 battery packs in all with the big one being the jacket. HEAVY but I think I'll be able to manage.

Thanks, the ideas are there, it's the execution that's the hard part. But if I can get it to 75% the way I want I'll be happy.

PS
Since green is my favorite color and according to the Tron color pallet green is virus or military, so since I'm a scuba instructor in real life I figure I can justify it by saying I'm a dive computer program. ;)

Re: Progress...

Dear compass, How does your outfit look in regular light? Can you still see it illuminated?

I have included a piece of EL sheet with the power pack hooked up to it, and one that is not so you get an idea of how it looks in full daylight. You can judge for yourself.

Not to fuss, still looks good, but is the material used for the circles different then the EL Sheets you used for the chest piece, because the colors look slightly more blue?

Part of it is the camera angle. Having said that, no two power packs are created equal. I've seen different results hooking up different power packs to the same EL cutting. As a precaution I've ordered a few spare power packs. It isn't noticable to the naked eye most of the time, but with the camera I have, the white balancing feature detects these subtle differences.

Has anyone ironed on pleather before? I have some reflective tape that can be sew on or iron on

not a good idea. it will melt.

HOWEVER... you may still be able to use heat to apply the reflective tape by pinning it in place, then covering the area with a thin cloth and ironing on top of that. That way, the heat still gets through but isn't applied directly to the vinyl.

I'd recommend trying it out on a test piece first. Just don't do it directly or you will have a big sticky mess on the fabric AND on the iron. And some unpleasant smells too. :S

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back