Tron Legacy Costume

I've been toying with the idea of a CLU costume in his meditation (or whatever) garb. This is one quick and dirty photoshop idea of what it might look like.

clupc004.jpg

The biggest problem is that the available footage doesn't give a clear view of what his outfit looks like from his chest down.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

Last edited:
So my new Quorra wig came in!!!! Even though I didn't win my boots, I still wanted to upload a photo. The wig is fresh out of the bag so it's not styled and the make-up is a VERY VERY rough mock up of what I will actually be doing. I just wanted to see a quick peak of the wig with some make-up. So what do you guys think? I know I'm not Olivia Wilde, but I can only do so much. ^^

P.S. -> As for the boots, I found another website that has them, so I'll get them from there. They may be more expensive, but they aren't a size too small. x3

tron-legacy-olivia-wilde-quorra-trailer-screencap.jpg
QuorraTest-1.jpg

You deffinately have the look! Albeit the look in your face is a bit more like there is a murderer walking in your room behind you! LOL! (Just giving you a hard time you really do look the part!)

Are you gonna cut the wig at the longest points in the back? Otherwise this looks REALLY good! Like it coulda been her hair a few months after filming.

I really want to try and pull a costume together for next year cons and halloween. So I can just sit back and watch you guys trouble shoot these crazy costumes! LOL!

Seriously impressive work so far from everyone! I follow these threads daily!

:)

So my new Quorra wig came in!!!! Even though I didn't win my boots, I still wanted to upload a photo. The wig is fresh out of the bag so it's not styled and the make-up is a VERY VERY rough mock up of what I will actually be doing. I just wanted to see a quick peak of the wig with some make-up. So what do you guys think? I know I'm not Olivia Wilde, but I can only do so much. ^^

P.S. -> As for the boots, I found another website that has them, so I'll get them from there. They may be more expensive, but they aren't a size too small. x3

tron-legacy-olivia-wilde-quorra-trailer-screencap.jpg
QuorraTest-1.jpg

Very nice! I wish I could join you for the Ton premiere because I will have my Sam's costume made as well and no one to Cosplay, here in Cali.

That EL tape is crazy cool, I wonder what type of battery it would take though. To get my regular EL wire to be bright enough we have to rig it to a 12 volt, and that's hard to hide on a skin-tight body suit (haha) Anyway....

Good luck with these everyone!!! I'm tempted to make one, but I don't know if I feel like going down the path of "lets find some non-existent hexagonal material" again....

Not as much as you think. It uses surprisingly little power. The power packs I ordered take 4 AAA batteries. You can cut these EL sheets to the design you want, so what I did was trim a little piece to see what a 2" X 11" would look like. I'll post a couple of pics with a before and after so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!!! :D

You deffinately have the look! Albeit the look in your face is a bit more like there is a murderer walking in your room behind you! LOL! (Just giving you a hard time you really do look the part!)

Are you gonna cut the wig at the longest points in the back? Otherwise this looks REALLY good! Like it coulda been her hair a few months after filming.

Haha!! x3 Mostly I get the 'deer in headlights' look so this is an advancement. At least I've got some emotion! Something to work on before I debut the costume. ^^;

And yes. I am going to cut the bangs and I am going to crop the back. I'm a little sad to cut it because I love the style, but (like you said) this wig is more of a 'few days after' look.

Not as much as you think. It uses surprisingly little power. The power packs I ordered take 4 AAA batteries. You can cut these EL sheets to the design you want, so what I did was trim a little piece to see what a 2" X 11" would look like. I'll post a couple of pics with a before and after so you can see what I'm talking about.

I bought my helmet, boots, disc, and wet suit, and now I'm trying to figure out how to design the EL tape and/or sheet. Doesn't it need to be one continuous piece of tape, or is it possible to link a bunch of pieces together?

Thanks for the help. I'm so excited for this costume! =P :cool

I bought my helmet, boots, disc, and wet suit, and now I'm trying to figure out how to design the EL tape and/or sheet. Doesn't it need to be one continuous piece of tape, or is it possible to link a bunch of pieces together?

Thanks for the help. I'm so excited for this costume! =P :cool

The EL tape is a self-enclosed piece, but you can custom order exactly the length you need it. Its drawback is that it's a straight piece.

The EL sheet can be cut to any design. It's simply a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet, but the conductive contacts are along the edges so whatever piece you cut, it needs TWO contacts to hook up to.

It also has a shock hazard warning on it, so what I did was use electrical tape to insulate the piece, keeping it open on the light side. Then I used an adhesive glue to bond it to the body armor. I'm letting it cure now.

When it's dry, I'll throw the suit on, hook up the contacts, light it up and snap a few photos.

Uhh....wow. It's brighter than I thought in the dark....

Last edited:
I've gotta say I am very jazzed up to see some of these costumes done well, after having just bought a gazillion of the toys at the Disney store for my son this evening:cool:thumbsup

@Compass72 -> That looks great so far!! You're using the white EL sheet, right?

I keep debating on whether to use EL sheet, tape, or diffused wire. Though I'm leaning more towards EL sheet and/or tape and your photos are definitely helping that decision. ^^

@Compass72 -> That looks great so far!! You're using the white EL sheet, right?

I keep debating on whether to use EL sheet, tape, or diffused wire. Though I'm leaning more towards EL sheet and/or tape and your photos are definitely helping that decision. ^^

Yes, that is EL Sheet. The hardest issue is thinking ahead to how it's going to mount onto the armor.

The power pack has two alligator clips that latch onto the strip. So, I have to decide where I'm going to clip the power pack onto the suit, and then which part of the EL sheet I'm attaching the clips to. There's not a lot of wire to play with, so the power pack has to be very close to the EL sheet.

I will say this. It's probably going to be best to use a mix of EL Sheet and EL Wire. EL sheets are good for very wide designs, like the pair on the chest of most of the program costumes.

But for thinner, longer, and curvy designs...EL wire is probably the better way to go. You can power about 3 feet of EL wire off of a battery operated power supply. An EL sheet needs a power pack for every 2" X 11" design.

Last edited:
Set of links

Ok, just to get all of my links in one place...here is every website I've ordered components from just as a reference for everyone.

EL Wire: (I ordered Aqua color / 3ft. / High Brightness Inverter)
Short Length El Wire

BMX Body Armor for Torso (Fox Titan)
Fox Titan Jacket Upper Body Armor

Boots from Vitesse Moto (Glove):
Boots: Glove | Vitesse moto

Bohn Body Armor (this is a nice set that I'm using mostly for the legs and thighs):
Actionstation.com

Light Cycle Baton Replica:
TRON Legacy Light Cycle Launch Baton Replica - Spin Master - Tron - Roleplay at Entertainment Earth

Identiy Disk Replica:
TRON Legacy Deluxe Identity Disc Replica - Spin Master - Tron - Roleplay at Entertainment Earth

EL Sheets and power packs: (Their On-line store is currently down but should be back up soon. I ordered the A4 size POWO EL Sheet, which stands for Pink On White Off)
Electroluminescent Custom Pattern Sheet

Last edited:
Re: Set of links

Ok, just to get all of my links in one place...here is every website I've ordered components from just as a reference for everyone.

BMX Body Armor for Torso (Fox Titan)
Fox Titan Jacket Upper Body Armor

Cool! Thanks for the links!

Be sure to look around for the best prices for everything. I found what looks to be the same BMX armor on amazon. Amazon.com: WOW MOTORCYCLE MOTOCROSS BIKE GUARD PROTECTOR BODY ARMOR BLACK: Automotive Only MED and SMALL though....

I've been toying with the idea of a CLU costume in his meditation (or whatever) garb. This is one quick and dirty photoshop idea of what it might look like.

clupc004.jpg

The biggest problem is that the available footage doesn't give a clear view of what his outfit looks like from his chest down.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks!
First off, this is for you:
Thatguy-1.png

Circled is him. It's his back, however you can see the front in the reflection.

Secondly:

(Clickable)

If anyone thinks they can build a good suit of that for a reasonable price (sub-$2000, preferably sub $1000) before the midnight showing, I'm willing to pay. Should be cheaper than trying to do sheet/tape, since all the details on that could be done with wire. PM me.

Last edited:
I got my first prop for my Tron costume. It was only $7.99 at ToysRUS and looks pretty authentic; it is also not heavy and can be velcro on the back or can be thrown at someone. :love The bottom of the disc is concave shape so I am not sure how I am going to velcro it yet. I took the picture with an Iphone and a flash light in the dark. I will try to get a digital picture with a flash if anyone is interested in seeing it posted.
IMG_0766.jpg

Okay Members here might be some good news. I don't think many of us are good at Using & connecting electrical wires for any Tron Outfits. I Noticed ANNISE Used 3M TAPE. But there 's a way to heighten the effect so it not only glows, but it's not expensive. I looked a glow in the dark paints. I always thought there was only green. But I was wrong. They have all the Tron colors. The trick is using a base color of white. Then you paint the top with the Glow paint. There's even a website that claims it will stay lit up for hours after being charged in light. The effect is the same as the EL tape. And a lot cheaper. There's some websites that are not up to par. Make sure as you search they have the intese phosphorus. I'm going this route since I'm on a budget! Good luck to everyone!

I got my first prop for my Tron costume. It was only $7.99 at ToysRUS and looks pretty authentic; it is also not heavy and can be velcro on the back or can be thrown at someone. :love The bottom of the disc is concave shape so I am not sure how I am going to velcro it yet. I took the picture with an Iphone and a flash light in the dark. I will try to get a digital picture with a flash if anyone is interested in seeing it posted.
IMG_0766.jpg

I know next month they are comming out with a light and sound version of the disk for 19.99 thats the one I am waiting for.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back