Tron Legacy Costume

what would be a good way to hold the identity disc to the back of the costume, and would you be able to remove it an put it back?

I thought about a little trick:
There are some bra fastened with little magnets. Very small, but extremely powerful. Just one of them fastens a bra, imagine with 2, 3 or 4, there will be no problem. Plus, you can pull it and put it back again, since the disc will lock for itself when in contact with magnets. Click! ;)

If you are loking for powerful small magnets," Magnetics" toy line offers some great stuff, just break them from there small plastic molds and WOW these are small/cheep & powerful. 2 would work, with there poles reversed so it always sits the right way.

Hello all. Newbie here, and apologies in advance for any overly simple questions. I love reading about all your research and work - top notch creativity and I'm learning a lot. Hugely appreciate you all passing on your knowledge.

I've been doing a bit of research on Siren Jem's costume. Like others, after internet-time spent reading up on el wire and light tape etc, I've decided to go the reflective tape route. Cheaper, and considering that this costume is for Mardi Gras and I'll be sitting and dancing and drinking in it for at least 10-12 hours, I don't want to be massively disappointed when I break the wiring and the costume won't last through the afternoon. Though for people who still want to go the electronic route, I remember reading an article that said how the lights on some of the costumes were velcroed on. It's easy to see how one could do that for Jem's costume in particular, and have been sketching out ideas on how to route wiring by hiding it in some kind of piping and connecting each velcroed clear-vinyl-encased light strip that way. Expensive but doable, though movement would probably still be restricted. Not much sitting to be done with the two light strips going up the front of her waist.

Anyway, my question for you guys is about Jem's shoe. I know this is a bit of a simplistic question, but do you know any sites you can direct me to about modding shoes in a rugged way? I'm trying to figure out how to take a pair of white pumps and create that spiffy wedge she's got. I'm at a loss, since it would have to hold up to a lot of abuse considering how long I'll be on my feet trudging through potholed streets.

Thanks for reading, and keep up the great posts. I can't wait to see the costumes people make!

lol what was interesting was a fashion store here in the UK had sandals that had the same heel as Jem. New Look.. I dont know if perhaps having a look on ebay might come up with a pair that could be modded. They dont have them on their website anymore.

You could get a pair of platform wedge heels and cut out the section needed...try that on a cheap pair first to see if it would work. I say platform so you still have some strength after the hole is taken out.

i have a plain black back pack that is in need of fancy things on it. while looking at it to come up with ideas, to me it looked to have tron-like designs on it then i remembered this thread. i dont know if this is the right thread for it but if anyone knows what i should do they would be here. so, what would be the best thing to do to make my back pack light up, or look like it is, like on the costumes? many thank you's for anyone that can help

HELLO! I see in your post that you have found Quorra boots. I am working on a Quorra costume, and I simply cannot find any good boots. At least not ones that are accurate and affordable. I did find a pair for $35, but they are too shiny. I have contemplated building them, but that would take way too long.
Would you please let me know the name of the boot, store where they are available, and price.

THANK YOU! :)

Exactly. That could be a perfect explanation why the programs at The End of the Line club at SDCC did not have actual lighting on their costumes. It would have cost thousands of dollars to replicate.

I went with 3M Scotchlite 8930 reflective fabric tape myself for my Quorra costume. For one no way do I have the funds for actual lighting and two I need my suit done in less than a week for Dragon Con. I am 85% finished. Even found perfect wedge boots like hers to work with. I am so happy about that.

Just go with Scotchlite everbody. Save yourself some money and the headache.

And trust me, I would never ever do this since I am big on my perfectionism replicating costumes. There are just some things(us poor ppl) can't do as the movies did ;).

~A

can you post pictures of Quorra's pants.. I don't have any shots of her pants having reflective lines on them

Hey Ranom not for anyone who is doing a Quorra suit (On a budget ;) ) I found these leggings at Walmart of all places, they are pretty thick, they also have this cool white stitching on them, I figure if I am really running low on time and money I can buy them and sew my reflective tape over the stiching, it's like a ready to use guideline! :)

BTW these are the leggings (Walmart has 2 colors, gray and black, I was only able to find a pic of the gray ones):
0880614590854_500X500.jpg

Ok, I found the site I was talking about with the ability to print patterns on fabric:

Spoonflower: Print custom fabric on-demand

The site's prices vary depending on what type of cloth you get it printed on, but it's at least $18 a yard. If you are not sure on the fabrics they do offer a sample booklet of them for only a dollar.
I'm not sure if the do screen printing as an option though. If not we might have to look else where for that.

I want to know how well that frisbee/flying ring flies. They aren't selling any of these until October right?

I did a little more digging on costume info. Looks like it was Quantum Creations FX that did the costumes. Has anyone tried contacting them with questions as of yet? I'm thinking about it - POST YOUR QUESTIONS in case I get through to someone and I'll try and get answers to them.

I'm trying to think of some intelligent questions but its late and I'm going to think about it some more in the morning. :)

I admire your direct approach, but you are unlikely to get the shop to comment on the creation of costumes on a film that hasn't been released. They sign such ironclad nondisclosure agreements they would have to be foolish to even give the appearance of giving away "protected" information. It would immediately blackball them to producers as a shop that can't keep trade secrets, and likely cost them millions.

However, I know some people that worked there on the costumes. I can tell you the costumes were no treat to work on. Though I will not elaborate on that much further. I do have some of the fabric with what became known at the shop as the "Tron-e-O's" on it. (we're talking about less than a square foot so don't bother asking to buy it) It's basically the understructure fabric the rubber pieces were baked onto.

I can tell you the fabric was specially made and screen-printed for the film, and that it's not commercially available. Which is a good thing because the little O's kept popping off I'm told.

If you have other questions I can ask people I know and probably get you answers as long as it isn't protected information.

Editor
SFXNEWS.COM

I admire your direct approach, but you are unlikely to get the shop to comment on the creation of costumes on a film that hasn't been released. They sign such ironclad nondisclosure agreements they would have to be foolish to even give the appearance of giving away "protected" information. It would immediately blackball them to producers as a shop that can't keep trade secrets, and likely cost them millions.

However, I know some people that worked there on the costumes. I can tell you the costumes were no treat to work on. Though I will not elaborate on that much further. I do have some of the fabric with what became known at the shop as the "Tron-e-O's" on it. (we're talking about less than a square foot so don't bother asking to buy it) It's basically the understructure fabric the rubber pieces were baked onto.

I can tell you the fabric was specially made and screen-printed for the film, and that it's not commercially available. Which is a good thing because the little O's kept popping off I'm told.

If you have other questions I can ask people I know and probably get you answers as long as it isn't protected information.

Editor
SFXNEWS.COM

LOL yep.

I guessed as much already, and I've answered most of my own questions so far. The more I've learned about the costumes, the more interested I've been to have one, but also less interested in making one... But I still want to make a helmet, gloves and boots.

LOL yep.

I guessed as much already, and I've answered most of my own questions so far. The more I've learned about the costumes, the more interested I've been to have one, but also less interested in making one... But I still want to make a helmet, gloves and boots.

I'm still working on those helmet plans, but for boots I was thinking of using these and adding some thicker foam soles, like from flip-flops.

For the gloves, I found these. We can put thin el sheet strips along the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger.

I'm using Led's for the helmet as far as lights go. And since Rinzler doesn't have many lights I'm pretty much going the el sheet route. Tomorrow I'll post my Rinzler sketches of the basic costume.

For the rubber parts I'm looking to my favorite company Smooth-on for Dragon Skin. Here are examples of costumes made with it.

Last edited:
I'm still working on those helmet plans, but for boots I was thinking of using these and adding some thicker foam soles, like from flip-flops.

For the gloves, I found these. We can put thin el sheet strips along the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger.

I'm using Led's for the helmet as far as lights go. And since Rinzler doesn't have many lights I'm pretty much going the el sheet route. Tomorrow I'll post my Rinzler sketches of the basic costume.

For the rubber parts I'm looking to my favorite company Smooth-on for Dragon Skin. Here are examples of costumes made with it.

Your Dragon Skin way sounds so interesting, are you going to make the original with clay, and then mold it in silicone? There is so much work there, I have worked with molds before and I would never ever think about making a whole body suit, please update if you succeed!!

Hey all!

I started cosplaying last year and only recently started to do some more complex cosplays over the last few months, the first of which was Tron Legacy!

First of all though, I have to unfortunately say that I actually failed in making the costume.

There were many reasons for this, least of all is down to my experience and lack of planning of...well basically everything.

Because of the tight-fitting look of the suit, I opted to base mine on a wetsuit.

I cut out many panels of neoprene off-cuts which I had bought for VERY cheap, which I then glued onto a cheap wetsuit I found according to the 'armour' look based on the various screens and videos of the movie currently out at the time.

It actually turned out ok, though only if you see it from afar. If you looked at it up close, it really looked quite....****.

It didn't phase me too much at the time though, because the EL wire I ordered had arrived!

The lack of planning of the wiring was a major contributing factor in the downfall of the suit.
I tried my best not to run any wire such that it would interfere with my bending over, etc.

Needless to say, when I put it on, it was a disaster.
The suit stretched in all the wrong places, which wasn't at all helped by the non-stretch of the EL wire. In fact, it tore a bit in some places.

Here's some pics of the suit:

As you can see, the wiring is pretty ugly. While I wish I used EL tape, it's a LOT more expensive, and you can't exactly cut it up in the same style lines of the Legacy suit.
Tron07.jpg

It looks HEAPS awesome in the dark!
Tron08.jpg

Here's the back.
Tron09.jpg

Tron10.jpg

Mind you, this was made in the space of about a week, and it was a very last minute costume.
Because it didn't work out as well as I planned, of course I couldn't wear it to the convention.

I've come to realise that my inspiration came from the wrong place.
I should have based it on a motorcycle racing suit.

In light of this, I've already started planning on the costume again, and it will hopefully be ready in time for the premiere of the movie in December!

Hello!

In fact, I really think you were doing it RIGHT, but made some mistakes.
I posted days ago about doing the same, but it the right way.
Wich I think you failed was:
-Starting with a wetsuit that SIZED you. It must be at least two sizes bigger, for not to stretch that much. It fits anyway.
-Measuring the pads you had to glue with the wetsuit off, right?. Must be on not to be mistaken, since it will stretch later. Gluing the pads is absolutely the way I will go for sure, with smoothskin neoprene (rubber look).
-Not gluing the EL wire on the edges of the reflective tape.

I think if you try again thinking of this, you will absolutely suceed.
Well, this IS the way I will try.

Cheers!

LOL yep.

I didn't mean to be discouraging at all. I wish you luck, sincerely. The helmet would likely be able to be accomplished with some creative sculpting on a bike helmet and a vacform or two.

I would recommend you vacform it in clear and paint it from the inside to keep it nice and glossy when you peel off the plastic protectant film.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back