TNG Jean-Luc Picard Mintaken Tapestry

I want to say the base material is a tight weave burlap. Unless it is a found item/modded found item.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone image, but I found some burlap that looked close at my local Joeann's last weekend. the weave was a little loose, and they have a few earthy colors to choose from.

IMG00102.jpg

IMG00103.jpg

It looks more like duck canvas to me. I just got a pair of vintage style pants that look just like that, color and everything.

Looks to me like the base fabric is two strips of jute webbing laid side by side(probably slightly overlapping) and sewn together, the little tick marks that run the length of webbing were the giveaway for me. The gold/black diagonal stripes are probably some sort of loosely woven trim, (although part of me wants to suggest gold work), either way they're very thin when you look at their edges. The remainder seems to be hand made clay beads. As well as the leather lacing and what looks to be some standard glass seed beeds. Also, they may have altered the color through a color removal/dye process.

-John

Can anyone Help identify the elements that go into make this?
>>>clip<<<

Do you know what size this is, the width of it?

Rough guessing I'd say the base fabric is some kind of toweling--huck, hemp. If it's really narrow, maybe some kind of hemp or jute webbing. It looks like it's been woven narrow, it's not been cut and hemmed along the edges.

The cording is rather common and easy to come by. You can find lots of it wherever they sell home decorating and upholstery fabrics and trims.

The darker threads on the base fabric can't really tell if that's a woven in pattern or embroidered in by who made the item. The trinkets tied on with leather lacing which also is used to fringe the bottom edges.

Shylaah

Never mind, I see NavMidn had it all figured out while I was still typing......
Def the jute webbing---good call!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back