Please stop using push rivets on plastic

all in all, this whole thread has made me feel kinda unwelcomed here now. kinda like "hey you use pop rivets? well get the f*ck off the forum then"... if thats the case im gone.

Jeez, are you going to be sensitive? Like someone posted earlier, if the pop rivets are accurate to the costume, go for it. If they are not, then strive to do better...or conceal them.

This place is about replicas. A replica is just that, a copy. If something doesn't have visible rivets, you have just made a "good enough" piece. People here strive to replicate what is seen onscreen.

Jeez, are you going to be sensitive? Like someone posted earlier, if the pop rivets are accurate to the costume, go for it. If they are not, then strive to do better...or conceal them.

This place is about replicas. A replica is just that, a copy. If something doesn't have visible rivets, you have just made a "good enough" piece. People here strive to replicate what is seen onscreen.

and i do that by the means i have available to me. is my mark V "screen accurate" replica? no. am i trying to make it as accurate as possible with the tools and equipment i have. absolutely! for someone to bash a method of building, stating in the topic of the thread "please stop using push rivets on plastic".

what i get from this is, if you dont have the proper materials, tools or know how, dont try. or if you do try take it somewhere else.

Last edited:
and i do that by the means i have available to me. is my mark V "screen accurate" replica? no. am i trying to make it as accurate as possible with the tools and equipment i have. absolutely! for someone to bash a method of building, stating in the topic of the thread "please stop using push rivets on plastic".

what i get from this is, if you dont have the proper materials, tools or know how, dont try. or if you do take it somewhere else.

Do you think anyone who has done this for long has started out with all of the proper tools and materials? Hell no. All Notwrong was doing was trying to show some of you a different, better way to do things. No one here expects every single person who signs up here to be Super Crafter right out of the first post. It is going to take time and effort, and the fact that you are doing it is a step in the right direction.

I still remember my first prop "replica". It was a Freddy Kreuger glove I made in high school out of sheet metal and solder. Lord, what a turd, but I was proud of it.

Hey uh. This is a slightly embarrassing question on my end, but I've never heard of a "push rivet"- is it the same as a pop rivet, but with a UKism or something?

Also the devil's in the details! Be 'em pushed, popped or soldered in some way, if it's on the original design, it should be on the one you're makin', at least in spirit, if not matched exactly! You'd be amazed at what might look questionable up close in person, but looks fantastic in photos and on film later!

Do you think anyone who has done this for long has started out with all of the proper tools and materials? Hell no. All Notwrong was doing was trying to show some of you a different, better way to do things. No one here expects every single person who signs up here to be Super Crafter right out of the first post. It is going to take time and effort, and the fact that you are doing it is a step in the right direction.

do i think anyone who has dont this for long has started out with all the proper tools and materials? absolutely not. thats why im not getting all this. i thought this community was about sharing ideas, constuction methods and of course criticism. but lately with the forum, maybe its due to the rush of new members due to the open registration, im getting this feeling of if it isnt a perfect replica dont post, we dont care. im not talking about EVERYONE on the RPF just a few individuals that honestly i cant even remember their names. names not important, anyways there are many many members on this board who are EXCELLENT proppers and peers fully willing to help new people out. me being one of them. im not a badass by anymeans but im willing to give what info and take my critism.

now i realize that he, was just giving us info on a different method of construction, like i said in post #3, its very useful info. thanks again for the links. but with a title practically begging the community to stop using them. this thread started out with good intentions(title excluded) i just dont like it when someone bashs a method of construction. especially one that gets people into the hobby of prop making. anyways back to my non screen accurate mark v build. :)

Last edited:
Hey uh. This is a slightly embarrassing question on my end, but I've never heard of a "push rivet"- is it the same as a pop rivet, but with a UKism or something?

Also the devil's in the details! Be 'em pushed, popped or soldered in some way, if it's on the original design, it should be on the one you're makin', at least in spirit, if not matched exactly! You'd be amazed at what might look questionable up close in person, but looks fantastic in photos and on film later!

pop rivets. heres a vid link on how to use them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZAucoSymk

what i get from this is, if you dont have the proper materials, tools or know how, dont try. or if you do try take it somewhere else.

Well it was supposed to kinda be funny, like I'd like to tell people that do not have composting toilets to stop flushing potable water down the toilet, it cost money and the urea ends up in the bay, but most of the stuff I think is funny , other people do not.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feeling but I feel like life is a learning experience and people should always be willing to learn new stuff.

I hate going to three different stores trying to find those really thick pop or push (or what ever they are called in your neck of the woods) rivets and end up not being able to find them at a good price or not at all. With one of these you could just cut a thin piece of the plastic your working with off and you don't have to buy any rivets at all. Saving you money and time (no hole drilling) .

I have to admit that they do make a great hinge and they are nice and strong and very well suited for some things. Now having seen those videos and done a few welds I feel like maybe this could be useful to the community and should be brought to the attention of people that have not seen this before.

What was I saying?

Oh and this thread is getting ALOT of views so I feel like it is getting seen by those that could use this info and .........................................................I totally forget where I was going with this, does anyone know the numbers for the foreclosures for last month ? are they even available yet?

uncool

If some projects hurt your eyes, dont look at them.

It's not necessarily the quality of the project but comments where people don't even seem to care about the accuracy of rivets. There's a difference between a less than accurate but quality replica and just not caring. My concern is the "just not caring" attitude that seems to be emerging.

It's not necessarily the quality of the project but comments where people don't even seem to care about the accuracy of rivets. There's a difference between a less than accurate but quality replica and just not caring. My concern is the "just not caring" attitude that seems to be emerging.

fair enough

Well it was supposed to kinda be funny, like I'd like to tell people that do not have composting toilets to stop flushing potable water down the toilet, it cost money and the urea ends up in the bay, but most of the stuff I think is funny , other people do not.

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feeling but I feel like life is a learning experience and people should always be willing to learn new stuff.

I hate going to three different stores trying to find those really thick pop or push (or what ever they are called in your neck of the woods) rivets and end up not being able to find them at a good price or not at all. With one of these you could just cut a thin piece of the plastic your working with off and you don't have to buy any rivets at all. Saving you money and time (no hole drilling) .

I have to admit that they do make a great hinge and they are nice and strong and very well suited for some things. Now having seen those videos and done a few welds I feel like maybe this could be useful to the community and should be brought to the attention of people that have not seen this before.

What was I saying?

Oh and this thread is getting ALOT of views so I feel like it is getting seen by those that could use this info and .........................................................I totally forget where I was going with this, does anyone know the numbers for the foreclosures for last month ? are they even available yet?

now i see your humor. unfortunately humor is not an easy thing to convey through type. this thread has given my a great deal of info on how to join peices together in a new way for more detail. i will be using this hopefully in my next suit of armor. your right about the amount of views on this thread and the info is getting out.

heres some more info for the people who need to use a rivet for a part yet still want to conceal the actual rivet( we will just call them plain ol' rivets, which is what we call them in my neck of the woods)

http://www.parasolinc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=ALSIPLAST
im sure there's a cheaper alternative.
its a vinyl filler that could cover your rivets. spread it with a plastic card much like you would bondo. then sand it smooth with 80 grit.

i can see that.

Then you know what a lot of the senior members are on about.

yessir i do. concidering i use rivets all over my my mark V and its losing that visual aspect of the suits clean look. believe me it bugs me and its my suit! i can only speak for myself. i plan on filling my rivets with the vinyl filler(300+ rivets). not looking forward to it but it needs to be done.

:angel Robert's going to do our costumes for the upcoming Toycon June 19-20. I will have Guyver Valcuria and yeah he is planning to do the mark V. I just hope we finish on time.

i cant wait for this! love yalls costumes!:lol

Then you know what a lot of the senior members are on about.

Exactly! I know that some times we have to cut some corners for time / budget / whatever.

The thing that's been confusing me with a lot of threads lately has been the fact that people don't seem to really WANT to make a super accurate replica.

Someone made a comment in one of the threads about costumes vs. replicas. Well, it's not the Costume Prop Forum, now is it? ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back