My Life-Size Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

Thanks for all the great comments!

A couple people have asked about my first HIC build so I thought I would post this. I built this a few years ago and recently sold it to make room for the one I am building now. Maybe it will insipire others. This was my FIRST attempt, and after re-visiting these photos, man was it bad. It cost me around $350.00 to build. It was totally inaccurate and out of proportion. Anyway, here is how it went.

Got a HIC face cast, some styrofoam, plastic hands from a party store, and clothes from Ross.

7.JPG

Built the box

6.JPG

2.JPG

Started shaping the foam, sculpted some boot tips, and glued some bolts to the back of the face cast.

10.jpg

8.JPG

Glued everything down, glued the shirt and pants to the styrofoam, several layers of glue to coat everything, and made some plaster like accents for behind the hands and fingers. I used hot glue to add some carbonite streaking to the face, boots, neck, and hands.

12.JPG

Poured the glue carbonite base

13.JPG

Textured the carbonite with craft paper and glue

14.JPG

15.JPG

I was going to scratch buld the side panels using these Sterilite bins and some greeblies from Home Depot. During the build of those I was able to pick up a really cheap set of panels that were just awful. I used them anyway.

19.JPG

16.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

Mounted the panels and started priming and painting

25.JPG

23.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

Handpainted some details on the panels

35.JPG

34.JPG

Finished piece with LEDs. I also added a few coats of clear coat.

38.JPG

On my current project, each panel will have LEDs. I am hoping everyone notices a significant difference between my current build and the one pictured here!

Last edited:
Now that the two bottom base layers have mostly dried, I was able to start with the texture level. I am using a putty knife to move the glue around, helps give it that random, uneven look. When this dries and shrinks a little, the bottom layers come through just a bit. I'll do one more touch up layer and call it good. I won't know for sure until after I get the first layer of primer on.

The best thing about working with this glue is that it's easy to move and its non-toxic, brings back memories of elementary school, except this time I'm not eating it!

HPIM5655.JPG

HPIM5656.JPG

Last edited:
Today I put some primer on to see how everything is tying in. I think the look is great, the technique works; but something is a little off. I need to step back and look at some more reference shots, then re-evaluate how I want to work this.

HPIM5659.JPG

HPIM5657.JPG

HPIM5658.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, that looks really authentic so far. The primer added a new depth to the detail. This project has great potential. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the comments!

After looking at this for a while, and checking some reference photos, I think I found out what was bothering me.

1) The carbonite base seemed a bit thin. Its hard to tell in the photos, but where the red arrow is, I wanted the carbonite to reach that lip. It was too low for my liking.

2) Again, hard to tell in the picture, but the carbonite texture was a bit busy. After looking at some reference photos, it needs to be a little more subtle.

3) The most bothersome to me was that some of the edges of the HIC panel were a bit noticeable. This was caused by the thin layer of glue in some spots. Again, hard to see in the photos, but in person it definitely catches your eye and really bothered me. I highlighted in red some of the edges.

Call me crazy, but I decided to pour another layer on this one. The good thing about the glue; it's cheap and easy to work with. I know had I not done this it would have bothered me. With this extra layer, I am able to build up those edges and hide the panel better and the carbonite reaches closer to the lip.

I'll use the same technique as before for the texture, just on a more subtle level.

HPIM5660.JPG

Pained me to do it, but had to be done.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to seeing your progress on this one as you continue to work on it. I have been working on mine and off since last May. My only regret is that I didn't etch out holes for the panels, but I may still do that in the future since I gave myself some wiggle room with them. HIC has been a fun and challenging build for me and it certainly seems to be that way for you.

Call me crazy, but I decided to pour another layer on this one.

I actually gasped out loud when I saw this picture. I'm sure version 2 of the carbonite will be even better, but still, all that work!
Looking forward to seeing more progress :)

I think you're going to be much happier now that you're making it less busy and more subtle. I debated about adding that suggestion earlier because so many people here were impressed with your work, but now I think everyone will be even more impressed. I know I am. I love the glue idea! Can't wait to see this finished. What will you be using for panels?

My only regret is that I didn't etch out holes for the panels....

I did not do that on my first build, and I really regretted it. It makes a huge difference. I would recommend anyone doing this project take the time to cut out the panel slots.

Your dedication is impressive - as are the results!

Thomas

Thanks brother!

I actually gasped out loud when I saw this picture.

I had the same reaction when I poured it. It was a difficult decision, but I am pretty AR like that. The more I looked at it the more those tiny flaws bothered me. I hope I made the right decision!

I think you're going to be much happier now that you're making it less busy and more subtle. I debated about adding that suggestion earlier because so many people here were impressed with your work, but now I think everyone will be even more impressed. I know I am. I love the glue idea! Can't wait to see this finished. What will you be using for panels?

Glad to see someone else caught that. As for the panels, some time ago I bought a set off of VashDStampede. Waited a while to get in on that run, in my opinion, these are the best panels out there. And after spending the last few years building and researching, I have seen a few. These are incredibly detailed and clean.

HPIM5539.JPG

HPIM5540.JPG

Thanks again for all the comments.

Last edited:
Went ahead and put the new layer of detail on. I think I am pretty happy with this. It is still a bit "busier" than the original prop, but it will have to do. I am finding that this part of the build could be done 100 times and you'd still probably want to go back and try it again. It is not as busy and looks more accurate than the last layer. A good technique if anyone wants to try this is after you pour the glue, wait about 5 minutes then go back and lightly drag your putty knife over it. It gives it a nice texture (which is kind of hard to see in the pictures).

I'll let this dry and start on the side panels.

HPIM5713.JPG

HPIM5714.JPG

HPIM5715.JPG

Last edited:
:eek That's flippin' awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Please tell me you've got a set of Boba Armor to go with it? ;)

I do in fact have a Boba Fett, here he is in my theater room next to my first Han in Carbonite build (which I sold a few months ago).

I built this Boba a few years ago, and would love to update him when I have a chance.

24.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back