My Life-Size Han Solo In Carbonite Project - 2nd Attempt

Where does everybody get their front panel pieces from?

There is a guy by the name of Stormrider on thedentedhelmet.com, he makes these panels. He sells them in pieces (like the one here) or the complete front panel. He was doing a run, not sure if it's over though.

Some of the glue is drying fast, so I decided to start with the pooling. Did a couple small spots, will do this at least 3 more times and will try and overlap some of them. Still need to wait for some of the other areas to dry a little more. Once it is all dry and primed it will tie in nicely.

HPIM5642.JPG

Last edited:
Is that just nbasic Elmers Glue? Wow, looks good so far. I would like to build one of these down the road, but the wife would probably kill me for it! I saw the kit on eBay but it was just to much. Hope to find a kit of Han that not to pricey, and the producer ships!

Looking great azheat01.

Of all the panels I sold, I NEVER saw anyone use elmers glue. Thats really a great idea. Cheers to you!

Propologist: I havent been a member here long enough to sell. I think I have a couple more weeks.

Looking great azheat01.

Of all the panels I sold, I NEVER saw anyone use elmers glue. Thats really a great idea. Cheers to you!

Propologist: I havent been a member here long enough to sell. I think I have a couple more weeks.

yeah I saw that and saw the thread on TDH , is this " made to order" thing you are ding with them ? I want a set one day , just have to wait till money situation is better

Looking great azheat01.

Thanks brother, glad to see you over here. I think these guys are really going to love your panels.

Im going to take a look at what I can and cant share because I dont want to get in trouble here.

Hopefully ill be able to post more info soon:)

From what I can tell, Stormrider, your pieces are awesome. I've never considered building one of these babies but after checking out azheat01's pictures, I'm feeling confident that I may be able to pull it off as well. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this project goes! Great work thus far!

I started pouring more today. You can see it dries well, and it even tends to shrink and distort a little adding to the effect. This is a slightly different technique than I used before, but it seems to be working just as I had hoped.

HPIM5644.JPG

HPIM5648.JPG

HPIM5647.JPG

HPIM5650.JPG

HPIM5651.JPG

HPIM5649.JPG

It seems to be layering well. I still have some fine tuning to do. Again, I am hoping this all ties in together once I start priming.

Anyone wanting to try this, let me offer some helpful tips:

- Make sure your box is square and level when you build it, that will help when pouring the glue.
- When you start pouring the glue, it's nice to have compressed air on hand. You can use it to shape the pools and thin them out a little.
- Elmer's glue shrinks when it dries, keep that in mind. You may need to build up certain areas (especially around the edges of the HIC panel) with a few pours.
- Pour in several small coats, rather than one or two large ones.

It's coming together....

Last edited:
One of things I have been asked is what color will I paint this. As you can tell I am not AR about screen accuracy (mostly because of my skill level and a lack of time/patience), so this will be my idealized version. I am painting the case aluminum, the side panels will be silver with working LEDs, and the carbonite and Han will be a Rustoleum color called Metallic Charcoal. I loved that color so much that I vowed I would use it again if I built another HIC. You can kinda see it in my first thread, it looks awesome in person.

Last edited:
This is a very cool project. Thanks for the pics and info., it gives me hope that I might be able to do this yet.
B.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back