Painting Urethane for flexible costume parts?

justanuthercap

Sr Member
Hey all, did a little research thru the search function. Found a mention of being able to use primer as a mold release for urethane casting. However, it was just a mention and there was no detail.

What I normally do is use a silicone mold (generally mold max 30) and pour urethane castings (vytaflex). I can use tints in the urethane to some degree, but now I need to color match to some rigid pieces I have painted with a specific Krylon color.

Can I use say... a dusting of Duplicolor High Build primer as a mold release? And will this then let me use my Krylon colors as I normally would? It's fine if it gets beat up as the overall paint job is worn/damaged so no big deal if it doesn't last forever and I could always easily recoat if this works.

Any info or confirmation would be great, but if not, I will go ahead and give it a shot anyway. The only thing I can lose is a bit of materials.

Thanks for any help!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back