Bowcaster Parts

Macklin

I recently acquired a Horton Safari crossbow that I plan to convert into a Chewie bowcaster. I checked the POSW page, but it's still incomplete. What parts do we know about besides the Single Point scope?

Does anyone have a good idea how the scope assembly is put together?

The side panels look like cut metal sheet. The barrel is most likely metal tubing. what about the front sight? And the side greeblies? Could one of them be the Imperial Officer disc? Maybe camera parts? Which type of sling is used? What are the balls?

Just trying to start some conversation here. I'm really excited about my purchase and can't wait to start working on the project. :)

Patrick

One of the coolest props of the OT and one that we know very little about. The ones that I have seen done were basically just the best rendition that the persons vision allowed....and they were all GREAT. I'm hoping that MR does Chewies bowcaster from the OT.......... :D

kurtyboy is the man you seek :)

He´s done a massive amount of research on this great prop, with the support of our very own Chris T.

I´m sure they´ll chime in very soon :D

Markus

BTW:

Got pics of your horton X-bow?
I built my first BC based on a barnett commando, but I´ve got a Horton waiting for it´s conversion too :D

There are just sooo many different versions out there :unsure

Markus

Here's the auction pic. I don't actually have it in my hands yet, so no pics form me. I thought about documenting my progress and posting a tutorial. We'll see how it goes. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...DME:B:EOAB:US:6

Brandon, I know nothing about amps or guitars. Any more info to offer before I go investigating knobs?

I'd love to hear input from folks who have already made one of these. Any construction tips and material suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

I see you have the same Horton that me and Markus have. Except mine is green... I think Markus' is also green. Good price too. I thought I got a bargain at $50 on my one. I've seen them go for well over $200.

This is about the closest we're going to get the to correct crossbow. I spoke to someone at Horton USA and showed them some Bowcaster photos. They told me that they had only ever seen one of those in their whole life. It has a metal frame unlike ours which are plastic.

There are a total of 5 Imperial discs on the bowcaster (you seek Obi1kenny.). The other greeblies I'm not sure about but some are just flat discs. I have the info somewhere about the sizes and types of screws holding them on (got the info from Lonepigeon).

Now onto the scopes. The two flanking scopes have not been identified but they are probably the same as the Dr. Evazan blaster but definitely not the same as the Boba Fett blaster. They are not ASI 4 x 20's. The closest ones I've found are Nikko Stirlings. I know they are not the correct scope but the shape and size is pretty much spot on and the screws, windage/elevation knobs/box are also the same.

The centre scope is a cone tipped singlepoint. You also need a pair of ROTJ style scope rings (like the ones I sold in the Junkyard recently) and a pair of the Boba Fett style scope rings (you may have seen me selling these in the past too).

That's about all I know I'm afraid. Reference photos of the ANH are very scarce. The best one I found came from the SW Fact Files UK. It is a much bigger and much cleared version of the side view in Chronicles. The ROTJ or ESB crossbow has been on display though.

Markus has info on the correct bow part.

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster@May 12 2005, 05:50 PM
Does this particular prop still exist in the Archives?? I know it's a near impossibility,but I thought I'd ask...........
[snapback]985946[/snapback]​

Also, was the same bowcaster used throughout the trilogy?

Anyone have reference photos to post?

Might have been the same base weapon, but details changed throughout the trilogy.

It must still be around because it was shown in an exhibition. Not sure which exhibition though.

Originally posted by Sumatra+May 13 2005, 12:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sumatra @ May 13 2005, 12:16 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DL 44 Blaster
@May 12 2005, 05:50 PM
Does this particular prop still exist in the Archives?? I know it's a near impossibility,but I thought I'd ask...........
[snapback]985946[/snapback]​

Also, was the same bowcaster used throughout the trilogy?

Anyone have reference photos to post?
[snapback]985953[/snapback]​
[/b]

Seems like the front sight changed between ANH and ROTJ. I'm not sure about any other differences. Maybe the strap? Dunno.

Patrick

Are there any alternatives out there that are easier to find and not to pricey? I'd really like to make a bowcaster. It wouldn't need to be perfect, but most of the ones I'm finding are way off.

I was hunting (if you pardon the pun) for a suitable crossbow for nearly two years.

So far the only ones I've seen that look any good are the Barnett (close but apparently too big) and the Horton which is very accurate but the stock will need to be hollowed out. The other bonus is that the Horton has the correct scope rail and the grip is the right shape.

The Horton seems to be very cheap nowadays.. but that could change if demand builds up :) They are relatively rare though. One or two pop up on ebay every few months.

Be aware of the two types of Horton Safari though, the front part is completely wrong on one of them. I bought the WRONG one by mistake first time round :confused

Originally posted by Sumatra@May 13 2005, 02:47 AM
Are there any alternatives out there that are easier to find and not to pricey?  I'd really like to make a bowcaster.  It wouldn't need to be perfect, but most of the ones I'm finding are way off.
[snapback]986065[/snapback]​

Could someone remind me what the strap was? I knew at one time but its been that long that I've forgotten.

I was going to use a Sterling strap.

There is also a coiled Graflex cord on it.

A bowcaster was on display a couple years ago during Disney's SW Weekends. Reportedly Peter Mayhew saw it and said it wasn't the one. Of course, we know to take prop recollections by actors with a grain of salt.

Heres what I know from talking with Chewie P. Mayhew himself....

the planet hollywood hero medal i looked at with Peter, and he looked long and hard, and said "not even F##$( close..." and walked away...and all these years later we have the ACCURATE MR medals..SO ya, i think peter has a good idea of whats real off set and not...

If he said the bowcaster at disney wasnt it makes sense, as he told me back in 2000 that there was only ONE used between 77-83, and somehow it got out of the archives and into the hands of a private collector from the same source as steve sansweet got his 3po head, han gun, and other REAL sw props. THE one and only bowcaster is in a private sw collection in germany,according to p. mayhew. and we know the ONE real hero medal from sw is in a private collection in the UK, so it all sounds right...

the "balls" were racketball balls painted black...got that from mayhew, and saw it in print once...somewhere...

Mayhew knows somethin of props, as when he saw my han blaster with real hensoldt scope he looked long and hard at it and said, WOW havent seen one of those in a long time...and he called a droid caller a "linhof" and said he had one...

that what i know...curt solo :)

Originally posted by OdiWan72@May 14 2005, 03:47 AM
So....the BC is in Germany?? :D

Will have to reactivate some of my contacts ;)

Markus
[snapback]987038[/snapback]​

So you'll have the original and find a cache of the correct crossbows in about, what a week? :lol ;)

DROOL DROOL.

Originally posted by OdiWan72@May 14 2005, 08:47 AM
So....the BC is in Germany?? :D

Will have to reactivate some of my contacts ;)

Markus
[snapback]987038[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back