Bowcaster Parts

Good to see this thread is still active.

I've got a few more questions:

On the flanking scops, Lonepigeon said we had nice big detailed photos that show the scope markings. Where are these photos?
Speaking of photos, does anyone have any OT bowcaster pics that aren't on my page here http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/#bowcaster?
Also, does anyone have any higher resolution scans of the BC photos in the Chronicles than the one on my page? Thanks.

Hopefully I should have some new info on the flanking scopes soon. I'll post when I know.

I haven't started hacking away at my crossbow yet but thought I would share a few observations on other parts of the Bowcaster.

First off, the correct singlepoint for the ANH version at least is a varriant of the cone tip version. While most of the versions we see on other props have the knurlled adjustment covers the Bowcaster version is actually a Cone Tip with the cheaper plastic covers that we see on the round tiped singlepoints. The picture below is a quick comparison of the 2 types from my scope collection. I know the rings on the Singlepoint in the scope grouping are wrong but you can get the idea.

Bowcaster_Singlepoint_Comp.jpg

Second, I tracked down what I believe to be a correct RCA plug like we see going into the side of the bowcaster. Its just out of an old parts bin so I unfortunately don't have a current source but I thought you might like to take a look.

Bowcaster_Plug.jpg

At a SW event last year, Jason Joiner had a display of his 'screen used' items from his Joiner/Kurtz collection.

One of them was a Bowcaster.... which he did assure was screen used.... how much of that you believe is up to you...

He wouldn't allow photos of any of the props..... probs for fear of people finding out they were fakes or something..... or could be the copying side too.... :)

From what I remember, the 'balls' on the end where made of rubber, as they were starting to break up like rubber does when it gets old..

As for size, that is very vague.... but somehow I'm thinking they were about 3inches in diameter....

HTH someone.....

Nice work Chris, also I'm pretty sure all ANH singlepoints are of the cheap cover variety. I have a screencap here somewhere that shows the "single point" raised text on the elevation adjustment cover thats attatched to a dh-17.

Looking good so far Chris.
Thanks for the information reg. the covers vs. screw caps :thumbsup

Any news reg. the front-"sight"-assembly you were doing in CAD?

Markus

Plastic snap on covers and not metal screw on ones? I hope I haven't thrown them all out after the upgrades :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Sep 7 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1314725[/snapback]</div>
Any news reg. the front-"sight"-assembly you were doing in CAD?

Markus
[/b]

Markus,
No progress on it I am sad to say. I've been busy with being self employed so thats a good thing at least. I've been doing up good CAD files for the Obi Emitter piece and working to get quotes on that but I am hoping to put some more time toward the Bowcaster and other little projects like the Vibroaxe in the next little while.

I'll be sure to keep the thread posted as I move forward with developing the CAD files.

<div class='quotetop'>(JediToren @ Sep 5 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]1313599[/snapback]</div>
On the flanking scops, Lonepigeon said we had nice big detailed photos that show the scope markings. Where are these photos?[/b]

The pics are of the Evazan blaster which has the same 4x20 scopes.
I don't believe the Model 7 Original scopes were from model 7 Remington rifles. Creiff bought one that was new in box and the box had a sticker matching the scope markings.

Macklin was working on some of those parts... I think he even has prototypes but I'm not sure. Maybe we can get him to chime in here with his status.
C

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OdiWan72 @ Apr 10 2007, 03:13 AM) [snapback]1459110[/snapback]</div>
Hey Chris

Any news reg. the BC parts (sideplates, large washers etc.)?

Markus :)
[/b]

We may have provided MR the info they needed in this thread. :lol Just saying...

I did draw up some plans for the side plates and knobs, but interest in the project seemed lackluster at best, so it just got shoved to the back-burner.

Tell you what... I'll set aside a portion of my income tax refund to finance a run of 20 side plate sets. That way I can have one for myself, maybe sell a few now and have some left over for latecomers and ebay.

Then we can move on to the knobs. :D

Yet more information on the base crossbow.

I e-mailed Bernard Horton again, who is the founder of Horton Crossbows and provided us with the information about the Horton Monarch Supreme. He looked over my bowcaster reference photos on my Chewbacca Costuming Resources page and sent back the following reply (edited for spelling/grammar):

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your email and the link to the bowcaster pics.

Mystery Solved!

The original bowcaster was not based on the Monarch Supreme, but a skeleton stocked crossbow designed and made by me for the 'SinglePoint' Company in the UK.

This company developed and manufactured the first red dot sight, invented by a Swede, Neils Ruder, I believe his name was, in the early '70s.

It was expensive and well made and aimed at the military market. They approached me at that time to develop a military style crossbow to take their new sight and which could be used to demonstrate the speed and efficiency of the new technology sighting system.
The bow was made in the same way as the Monarch Supreme; die cast aluminum and nylon coated.
Probably 12 to 15 thousand of these crossbow were sold during the early and mid seventies, mostly in the UK. In the latter years they were sold to the civilian market by an off shoot of the 'SinglePoint' Company.

I imagine very few were actually sold in the US.

I hope this answers your questions on the origin of the bowcaster, I am sorry it has taken so long to get to the eventual facts.

Kindest regards Bernard Horton.

In summary, based on the photos available on my page, Mr. Horton believes the correct crossbow to be a product he designed for the SinglePoint company, sold in Europe in the early to mid 70's, and produced in quantities of 12,000 to 15,000. Eventually an off-shoot of the SinglePoint company sold the crossbows to civilians.

I e-mailed him back to ask him what the name of the crossbow was. Does anyone have any idea what this offshoot company might have been called?

Last edited:
Excellent news! With 12,000 to 15,000 they should hopefully be a little easier to come by now that we know a little more about what we are looking for.

In summary, based on the photos available on my page, Mr. Horton believes the correct crossbow to be a product he designed for the SinglePoint company, sold in Europe in the early to mid 70's, and produced in quantities of 12,000 to 15,000. Eventually an off-shoot of the SinglePoint company sold the crossbows to civilians.

I e-mailed him back to ask him what the name of the crossbow was. Does anyone have any idea what this offshoot company might have been called?

Well I was going to wait for the Master Replica's Bowcaster but thats looks unlikely with MR dropping Star Wars so anyone know where I can pick up a good frame or Horton Safari :), I know long shot worth a go! Ive picked up a singlepoint scope and other bits and pieces just need the most important bit!

It isn't on their list of products to come out so I imagine it was dropped.

I for one would like to see Macklin offer the parts he's been working on. My bowcaster has been coming along.

bowcasterinprogress.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back