Bowcaster Parts

Speaking of 3D... I've been busy today starting the front end conversion stuff in CAD. This is just a quick shot of a hour or two's work but its getting there. plenty more detail to add and tweak.

Macklin... Sent you an e-mail about this stuff as well.

Progress.jpg

Chris
www.partsofsw.com

Chris, reply sent.

Marcus sent me a higher res version pf a picture I already had. I thought I had seen some things before. Now I'm almost positively definite that I think I see something. <sigh>

washers.jpg

Are those washers?

This picture plays with my head. I see shapes that I haven't seen in any other photos of this side. I realize that many of the publicity pics were airbrushed all to hell, but it's at least worth bringing up.

EDIT:

Noticed another area that bothers me. Any ideas on what's happening here?

wtf.jpg

Macklin - I don't think those are washers.
If you look at the preproduction photos of the beginnings of the bowcaster conversion the knob configuration is a little different.
The circle around the far right knob is a scratch. Originally they had the larger Fender knob there (which was moved to the left side). That's just some sort of outline mark left behind. The other two are too faint IMO to be anything like a washer. I don't think that corner you marked is anything either- just a weird shadow of the knob reflecting in the skirt of the larger dial.

A little more progress. In progress of reshaping the handgrip. Unlike the Horton, the handgrip on the original prop is flatter and doesn't flare out at the base.

Also, the texture on the handgrip and the numbered dials needed to be filed/sanded off.

Started a bit of filling/sanding too.

bow11.jpg

bow12.jpg

bow8.jpg

bow9.jpg

I did more shaping of the crossbow frame today. And here's a quick mock up with the foam balls (thanks Chris R :)) and scopes:
bow3.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow1.jpg

bow4.jpg

Marcus
Your BC is looking awesome so far.

Chris R.
Will you offer the front sight/ assembly of the BC?
If so I´m in for one :)

I´m also in need for some sideplates and some of the knobs and washers (the ones, that were not identified yet as amplifier knobs etc.).

Markus

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the day when its finished :p

There are some good people working on this project and I know it will take time but it will be worth it in the end.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hairyloft @ Jul 1 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]1272054[/snapback]</div>
damn that bowcaster is going to be the business nice work Kurtyboy.
[/b]

Looks great. I think I may have found one of the dials. I recently purchased a british grenade, teh one to make an Obi Pommel, and one part on the bottom looks very familiar.

check it out

the bottom disk is 4.3cm and the top one is 3.4cm

look up at post 122. if you see the 3 circled knobs, match it to the one on the left.

Looks pretty good, but that's about twice the size of the part.

The real part is .875" in dia.

I originally thought it was the same as the other knob on that side (see my CAD above), but after looking at Chris' pic I think it's something more like what you found - only smaller.

<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Jun 30 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]1271360[/snapback]</div>
Chris R.
Will you offer the front sight/ assembly of the BC?
If so I´m in for one :)
[/b]

Markus,
I hope to eventually offer the parts but I have been busy with work and got distracted by working on my E-11 so I haven't had any time to get further along with them. I'll be sure to keep the tread updated with new progress as I move along. The bowcaster is one of the main pieces I've always wanted to have around so I guarantee you it won't die.

Has anyone figure out anything credible for the sling on the bowcaster? The ANH version that I am doing is certainly different from ESB and ROTJ but nothing I've come across is all that close. What is everyone's take on this?

Chris,

Looks like a leather strip was squashed in place behind the front plate. It was probably punched to allow the bolt to pass through. It hangs down about 2" and has a D ring hanging from it.

A similar leather strip was attached to the lower stock by wrapping some kind of word or wire. It loops the same as the front strip and has another D ring.

As far as the strap, this info was posted earlier in the thread, but I have no idea if it's accurate:

"According to TK818, the ANH Bowcaster used a 2" wide medical bag strap, the same as the Aliens Pulse Rifle. For the ESB/ROTJ Bowcaster, a 1¼" wide M-1 style sling was used."

I took my son to the Superman Museum in Metropolis yesterday and noticed a couple of familiar thingsÂ…

They had on display some of Lex LuthorÂ’s control panels from Superman: The Movie. A couple of these control panels featured a Fender knob and the smaller Philmore knob, both found on the bowcaster. We speculated based on the Sterlings that Bapty made at least some of the props for that film.

The Fender knob looks slightly smaller than the replicas available today. I honestly didnÂ’t expect to find these at the museum or I would have taken mine to compare. I noticed that it numbers 0-10 where the modern ones are numbered 1-10. The lettering is smaller as well.

The other knob looks larger than the one I found and only slightly smaller than the original Fender knob. The two knobs were on different panels, but thatÂ’s how it looked just from eyeballing it. I donÂ’t think this is the exact same knob as the bowcaster, but it is definitely from the same line. It has an aluminum recessed top, but no metal skirt. Just a white dot for an indicator.

Most of the other attachments were reflectors mounted to pass for lights. There were a couple of odd heat sink shapes as well, but they didnÂ’t look familiar.

I plan on taking another trip in the future to gather more data on these knobs. I need to get a digital camera first, so it may be a while.

Just seen the following a few times and I know nothing is seen on Chewies Bowcaster but is there such a thing such as Clan markings etc on a wookiee bowcaster that anyone has made up, just curious ?
"...often engraved with clan markings and pictographs depicting a warrior's greatest accomplishments".

Not posted in a long time, but just got an email from a friend (TK818) who has also not been here in a long long time and lost his password/login during the last move. So he asked me to post this for him. He made a bowcast 3 or so years ago to go with his chewie costume.

Pictures are his (sorry about size), and I've not got any more information than this. He'd post himself but registration is turned off right now.

So here's TK818 / Richard message -

My thoughts at the time were that the overlapping discs could be hat discs flipped bottom side up allowing for an overlap.

That's what I did on my Caster with the rest of the panel bits consisting of washers, amp knobs and fabricated discs.

I used a Barnett Xbow for the base, hollowed out the solid stock and smoothed out the hand grips.

I had to fabricate the bow using heated Lexan with aluminum strips to give it rigidity.

The sling in the pics is an ESB sling, I haven't found a sling yet with the proper ANH hardware.

Here are the links for the Bowcaster Pics:

01Layout.jpg

02Lside.jpg

03Rside.jpg

04pannel.jpg

05wire.jpg

06Top.jpg

Wow. That's some pretty awesome work.

Thanks for the post and be sure to thank Richard for all of us.

Hairyloft - I've seen that quote as well, but I don't remember where. It might refer to Episode III bowcasters, but I'm pretty sure it surfaced from the EU. You might check some of the RPG materials from Wizards.

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jul 19 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]1283768[/snapback]</div>
Wow. That's some pretty awesome work.

Thanks for the post and be sure to thank Richard for all of us.

Hairyloft - I've seen that quote as well, but I don't remember where. It might refer to Episode III bowcasters, but I'm pretty sure it surfaced from the EU. You might check some of the RPG materials from Wizards.
[/b]

Thanks will do and great work Bothan Jedi.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back