Subscribe
    From
    UK
    Jun 11, 2006, 6:00 PM - #126

A little more progress. In progress of reshaping the handgrip. Unlike the Horton, the handgrip on the original prop is flatter and doesn't flare out at the base.

Also, the texture on the handgrip and the numbered dials needed to be filed/sanded off.

Started a bit of filling/sanding too.

2. Member Since
    Sep 2002
    Jun 13, 2006, 12:27 PM - #127

If it hasnt already been stated,...this thread should be Archieved for the future and beyond.
    From
    UK
    Jun 14, 2006, 8:58 PM - #128

I did more shaping of the crossbow frame today. And here's a quick mock up with the foam balls (thanks Chris R ) and scopes:

From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jun 30, 2006, 6:31 AM - #129

Marcus
    Your BC is looking awesome so far.

Chris R.
    Will you offer the front sight/ assembly of the BC?
    If so I´m in for one

I´m also in need for some sideplates and some of the knobs and washers (the ones, that were not identified yet as amplifier knobs etc.).

Markus
    From
    Surrey, UK
    Jul 1, 2006, 8:07 AM - #130

damn that bowcaster is going to be the business nice work Kurtyboy.
    From
    UK
    Jul 1, 2006, 9:06 PM - #131

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the day when its finished :P

There are some good people working on this project and I know it will take time but it will be worth it in the end.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hairyloft @ Jul 1 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]1272054[/snapback]</div>
    damn that bowcaster is going to be the business nice work Kurtyboy.
    [/b]
    From
    Willow Grove, PA
    Jul 2, 2006, 11:34 AM - #132

Looks great. I think I may have found one of the dials. I recently purchased a british grenade, teh one to make an Obi Pommel, and one part on the bottom looks very familiar.

check it out

the bottom disk is 4.3cm and the top one is 3.4cm

look up at post 122. if you see the 3 circled knobs, match it to the one on the left.
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jul 2, 2006, 12:21 PM - #133

Looks pretty good, but that's about twice the size of the part.

The real part is .875" in dia.

I originally thought it was the same as the other knob on that side (see my CAD above), but after looking at Chris' pic I think it's something more like what you found - only smaller.
    From
    Norwood, OH
    Jul 3, 2006, 1:40 PM - #134

<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Jun 30 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]1271360[/snapback]</div>
    Chris R.
    Will you offer the front sight/ assembly of the BC?
    If so I´m in for one
    [/b]
    Markus,
    I hope to eventually offer the parts but I have been busy with work and got distracted by working on my E-11 so I haven't had any time to get further along with them. I'll be sure to keep the tread updated with new progress as I move along. The bowcaster is one of the main pieces I've always wanted to have around so I guarantee you it won't die.

Has anyone figure out anything credible for the sling on the bowcaster? The ANH version that I am doing is certainly different from ESB and ROTJ but nothing I've come across is all that close. What is everyone's take on this?
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jul 3, 2006, 1:55 PM - #135

Chris,

Looks like a leather strip was squashed in place behind the front plate. It was probably punched to allow the bolt to pass through. It hangs down about 2" and has a D ring hanging from it.

A similar leather strip was attached to the lower stock by wrapping some kind of word or wire. It loops the same as the front strip and has another D ring.

As far as the strap, this info was posted earlier in the thread, but I have no idea if it's accurate:

"According to TK818, the ANH Bowcaster used a 2" wide medical bag strap, the same as the Aliens Pulse Rifle. For the ESB/ROTJ Bowcaster, a 1¼" wide M-1 style sling was used."
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jul 12, 2006, 7:19 PM - #136

I took my son to the Superman Museum in Metropolis yesterday and noticed a couple of familiar things…

They had on display some of Lex Luthor’s control panels from Superman: The Movie. A couple of these control panels featured a Fender knob and the smaller Philmore knob, both found on the bowcaster. We speculated based on the Sterlings that Bapty made at least some of the props for that film.

The Fender knob looks slightly smaller than the replicas available today. I honestly didn’t expect to find these at the museum or I would have taken mine to compare. I noticed that it numbers 0-10 where the modern ones are numbered 1-10. The lettering is smaller as well.

The other knob looks larger than the one I found and only slightly smaller than the original Fender knob. The two knobs were on different panels, but that’s how it looked just from eyeballing it. I don’t think this is the exact same knob as the bowcaster, but it is definitely from the same line. It has an aluminum recessed top, but no metal skirt. Just a white dot for an indicator.

Most of the other attachments were reflectors mounted to pass for lights. There were a couple of odd heat sink shapes as well, but they didn’t look familiar.

I plan on taking another trip in the future to gather more data on these knobs. I need to get a digital camera first, so it may be a while.
    From
    Surrey, UK
    Jul 17, 2006, 12:32 PM - #137

Just seen the following a few times and I know nothing is seen on Chewies Bowcaster but is there such a thing such as Clan markings etc on a wookiee bowcaster that anyone has made up, just curious ?
    "...often engraved with clan markings and pictographs depicting a warrior's greatest accomplishments".
    Jul 18, 2006, 11:35 PM - #138

Not posted in a long time, but just got an email from a friend (TK818) who has also not been here in a long long time and lost his password/login during the last move. So he asked me to post this for him. He made a bowcast 3 or so years ago to go with his chewie costume.

Pictures are his (sorry about size), and I've not got any more information than this. He'd post himself but registration is turned off right now.

So here's TK818 / Richard message -

My thoughts at the time were that the overlapping discs could be hat discs flipped bottom side up allowing for an overlap.

That's what I did on my Caster with the rest of the panel bits consisting of washers, amp knobs and fabricated discs.

I used a Barnett Xbow for the base, hollowed out the solid stock and smoothed out the hand grips.

I had to fabricate the bow using heated Lexan with aluminum strips to give it rigidity.

The sling in the pics is an ESB sling, I haven't found a sling yet with the proper ANH hardware.

Here are the links for the Bowcaster Pics:

From
    Paducah, KY
    Jul 19, 2006, 9:02 AM - #139

Wow. That's some pretty awesome work.

Thanks for the post and be sure to thank Richard for all of us.

Hairyloft - I've seen that quote as well, but I don't remember where. It might refer to Episode III bowcasters, but I'm pretty sure it surfaced from the EU. You might check some of the RPG materials from Wizards.
    From
    Surrey, UK
    Jul 19, 2006, 11:38 AM - #140

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jul 19 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]1283768[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. That's some pretty awesome work.

Thanks for the post and be sure to thank Richard for all of us.

Hairyloft - I've seen that quote as well, but I don't remember where. It might refer to Episode III bowcasters, but I'm pretty sure it surfaced from the EU. You might check some of the RPG materials from Wizards.
    [/b]
    Thanks will do and great work Bothan Jedi.
  16. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jul 19, 2006, 7:00 PM - #141

That DOES look excellent.

But I'm sure that's a Horton and not a Barnett.
  17. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, Tennessee, United States
    Sep 5, 2006, 5:23 PM - #142

Good to see this thread is still active.

I've got a few more questions:

On the flanking scops, Lonepigeon said we had nice big detailed photos that show the scope markings. Where are these photos?
    Speaking of photos, does anyone have any OT bowcaster pics that aren't on my page here http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/#bowcaster?
    Also, does anyone have any higher resolution scans of the BC photos in the Chronicles than the one on my page? Thanks.

Hopefully I should have some new info on the flanking scopes soon. I'll post when I know.
    From
    Norwood, OH
    Sep 6, 2006, 10:08 AM - #143

I haven't started hacking away at my crossbow yet but thought I would share a few observations on other parts of the Bowcaster.

First off, the correct singlepoint for the ANH version at least is a varriant of the cone tip version. While most of the versions we see on other props have the knurlled adjustment covers the Bowcaster version is actually a Cone Tip with the cheaper plastic covers that we see on the round tiped singlepoints. The picture below is a quick comparison of the 2 types from my scope collection. I know the rings on the Singlepoint in the scope grouping are wrong but you can get the idea.

Second, I tracked down what I believe to be a correct RCA plug like we see going into the side of the bowcaster. Its just out of an old parts bin so I unfortunately don't have a current source but I thought you might like to take a look.

From
    West Sussex, UK
    Sep 6, 2006, 12:41 PM - #144

At a SW event last year, Jason Joiner had a display of his 'screen used' items from his Joiner/Kurtz collection.

One of them was a Bowcaster.... which he did assure was screen used.... how much of that you believe is up to you...

He wouldn't allow photos of any of the props..... probs for fear of people finding out they were fakes or something..... or could be the copying side too....

From what I remember, the 'balls' on the end where made of rubber, as they were starting to break up like rubber does when it gets old..

As for size, that is very vague.... but somehow I'm thinking they were about 3inches in diameter....

HTH someone.....
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Sep 6, 2006, 1:59 PM - #145

Awesome find on the RCA plugs, Chris. I'm guessing/hoping those images are from the new site update?
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Sep 6, 2006, 8:24 PM - #146

Nice work Chris, also I'm pretty sure all ANH singlepoints are of the cheap cover variety. I have a screencap here somewhere that shows the "single point" raised text on the elevation adjustment cover thats attatched to a dh-17.
  22. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Sep 7, 2006, 8:18 AM - #147

Looking good so far Chris.
    Thanks for the information reg. the covers vs. screw caps

Any news reg. the front-"sight"-assembly you were doing in CAD?

Markus
  23. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Sep 7, 2006, 8:46 AM - #148

Plastic snap on covers and not metal screw on ones? I hope I haven't thrown them all out after the upgrades

From
    Norwood, OH
    Sep 7, 2006, 2:24 PM - #149

<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Sep 7 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]1314725[/snapback]</div>
    Any news reg. the front-"sight"-assembly you were doing in CAD?

Markus
    [/b]
    Markus,
    No progress on it I am sad to say. I've been busy with being self employed so thats a good thing at least. I've been doing up good CAD files for the Obi Emitter piece and working to get quotes on that but I am hoping to put some more time toward the Bowcaster and other little projects like the Vibroaxe in the next little while.

I'll be sure to keep the thread posted as I move forward with developing the CAD files.
    From
    Michigan
    Sep 7, 2006, 11:05 PM - #150

<div class='quotetop'>(JediToren @ Sep 5 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]1313599[/snapback]</div>
    On the flanking scops, Lonepigeon said we had nice big detailed photos that show the scope markings. Where are these photos?[/b]
    The pics are of the Evazan blaster which has the same 4x20 scopes.
    I don't believe the Model 7 Original scopes were from model 7 Remington rifles. Creiff bought one that was new in box and the box had a sticker matching the scope markings.