Southern California
    Nov 9, 2005, 6:52 PM - #101

One more...

2. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Dec 20, 2005, 11:58 PM - #102

A little bump...

I just got my own compound bow so I too can follow this project.
  3. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, Tennessee, United States
    Jan 8, 2006, 1:38 PM - #103

I've re-emailed Bernard Horton regarding pics and more info on the Horton Monarch Supreme. Kurtyboy mentioned that the folks he spoke to at Horton claimed to have only one in the entire U.S. company, and I mentioned this in my email. Hopefully we'll get some info on this.

I also have a few questions about the scopes.
    Regarding the single-point scope, who was the manufacterer and when was it produced? Does it have any other name besides "single-point scope" such as a model name or model number?

Regarding the flanking scopes. This person that found the as of yet unidentified scope (the Original model one that is suspected to be from a Remmington rifle), how did he know it was the bowcaster scope?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of a converted Barnett Commando Xbow? I know Bobadept made one and I imagine a few others did, too.
    From
    Michigan
    Jan 8, 2006, 2:47 PM - #104

Originally posted by JediToren@Jan 8 2006, 07:38 PM
    I also have a few questions about the scopes.
    Regarding the single-point scope, who was the manufacterer and when was it produced? Does it have any other name besides "single-point scope" such as a model name or model number?

Regarding the flanking scopes. This person that found the as of yet unidentified scope (the Original model one that is suspected to be from a Remmington rifle), how did he know it was the bowcaster scope?
    [snapback]1153934[/snapback]
    The Single Point scope was made in England by Singlepoint (Great Britain) Ltd.
    It was made in the 1970's there might be more detailed info on the scope itself such as a model number or serial number but that wouldn't really help you find one.

The flanking scopes are identified by the markings. The same scopes are used on the Dr. Evazan blaster and we have nice big detailed photos of that blaster that show the scope markings.
  5. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jan 10, 2006, 9:40 PM - #105

I hope to find another pair of scope rings like the Fett rings or maybe 2 pairs if I can't match what I've got. I put in an order for some of the correct knobs.

Here is what I started with.

This is after a little work tonight. I still need to clean up the area I cut up.

From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jan 11, 2006, 3:05 AM - #106

Looking good so far

WHat are you going to do with the incorrect bow?
    Have you found a substitute for it?
    I have a Safari mysely, which I´d like to convert in the future.

BTW: Will you cut out the extra piece right behind the trigger too?

Markus
  7. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jan 11, 2006, 3:44 AM - #107

What piece behind the trigger? I'm working on cutting out the part right behind the grip. I'm not sure about the bow. I'm certainly open for recommendations.
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jan 11, 2006, 4:22 AM - #108

Mesa *******...I was actually referring to the extra frame-section behind the GRIP

Markus
  9. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jan 11, 2006, 4:32 AM - #109

You know, the reason I cut that way in the first place was because Lordsandy did it. Do you have anything new to show Lordsandy?

I wish I had better tools than a dremel and a hacksaw. I'm going to be cleaning it up for a while.

Here is a minor update

Edit: It's already looking more wookie like.
  10. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jan 11, 2006, 4:56 AM - #110

Looking good

Is your SP a real one, painted black, a cast of a real one or a modded biker scout toy-blaster scope?

BTW: I have pics of my bc at home. A Barnett Commando
    Will post them tonight.

Markus
  11. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jan 11, 2006, 5:04 AM - #111

It's resin. I think it's a cast of an inaccurate version with cone tip added. I'll likely cut off the tip and replace it with a clear cap.

I hope to see your pics soon.
  12. RPF Premium Member wuher da brewer's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth
    Jan 12, 2006, 7:49 PM - #112

I was thinking the coiled plastic from a stay-put pen might work for the small coiled wire. I picked one up today from the office supply for $3.00.
  13. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    May 31, 2006, 5:39 PM - #113

Finally got off my butt and made a start on my Bowcaster.

Here's where I am after three days of hack saws, files and much sweat and tears :P

Notice at the front of the crossbow I have cut some of the frame off, both in the inside and outside.

14. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jun 1, 2006, 5:45 AM - #114

Hey...nice files

Looking good so far.
    If only we´d knew more about the BC, I´d have started my 2nd build earlier. Right now all parts are still hidden in a number of boxes and drawers

BTW: Any news reg the sideplates?

Evan: Here are pics of my old BC I built about 5-6 years ago with just the small chronicles pics for reference. YES, I know I didn´t remove the cap from one of the inaccurate scopes

Markus
    From
    Norwood, OH
    Jun 1, 2006, 8:21 AM - #115

Since the tread is alive again I though I would throw this up. We've figured these are probably the correct balls for the bowcaster for some time but haven't been able to find them locally until recently. They are a nice dense foam with a smooth skin and have a seam line that looks to match really well. They are just barely under 2.5 inches in Diameter.

Chris
    www.partsofsw.com
    Jun 1, 2006, 8:57 AM - #116

CHRIS THATS GREAT.. THAT CONFIRMS WHAT P.MAYHEW TOLD ME ABOUT "RAQUETBALL" RUBBER BALLS BEING ON THE ENDS...did those come from the UK? curt
    From
    Norwood, OH
    Jun 1, 2006, 9:22 AM - #117

Well, they aren't racquet balls but its easy enough to understand why he might have thought so. They actually bounce pretty well and feel a lot like a raquet ball. but they are solid foam so they'll be a lot easier to fit to the ends of the crossbow prod.

I'm in the US (Cincinnati, OH specifically) and they came from a little local toy store. They aren't expensive either about $1.05 after tax. Its nice to have a part that doesn't make me cringe when buying it. I've seen them online in the past but the descriptions were always vague enough to make me wonder whether they were the same foam balls I was looking for or a more racquetball-like rubber version.

Chris
    www.partsofsw.com
  18. RPF Premium Member stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    From
    Waltham, MA
    Jun 2, 2006, 10:25 AM - #118

One of the Dented Helmet guys has been reading this thread, but can't post since registration still hasn't opened up. He asked me to post this for him:

Originally posted by Ripcode

I noticed the barrel/front sight looked like a barrel off an Enfield rifle. I sent a picture of the Bowcaster to my friend Dave who is somewhat of an Enfield expert (That is what he mainly collects and studys). This was his reply:

"I did some examination of my Enfields when I got home, comparing the barrel contour and sight location between the No1 and No4, and I have to change my first thoughts. The barrel on the Wookie bowcaster came from a No4 Enfield based on the setback of the sight and shape of the muzzle. The fact the sight protector is also built from a NO4's protector also makes me believe this to be true."

I hope this info will be helpful to you guys.

Ripcode from The Dented Helmet.
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 2, 2006, 2:41 PM - #119

TK, that's potentially great news.

I checked out some Enfield sites and I don't really see what your friend is talking about. Please check with him and see if he can offer up some pictures to illustrate.

Speaking of pictures, I've been in the lab brewing up a bit of wholesome, buttery goodness.

Project will soon be underway. Just wanted to check with you guys first to see if I missed anything. Yes, I know there's no plug and coily wire, but those are still unidentified.

I made styrene side plates based on my templates and they fit the Horton perfectly. I'll bet aluminum will fit even better. Keep your eyes on the junkyard.

EDIT:

I altered the second render to remove the washer.
    From
    Michigan
    Jun 2, 2006, 2:43 PM - #120

I don't see any Enfield parts on the bowcaster.
    The barrel has no taper and is likely just a piece of aluminum tubing. the black paint is well worn (doesn't look blued).
    The front sight does vaguely resemble an Enfield No4 sight protector, but the shape isn't right.
    This place has them for $1.95, but the pic clearly shows differences from the bowcaster piece:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Accessories.html
    Another good pic here:
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/RI1180-G.html

Maybe it's a front sight protector from another rifle?
    From
    Norwood, OH
    Jun 2, 2006, 4:25 PM - #121

Speaking of 3D... I've been busy today starting the front end conversion stuff in CAD. This is just a quick shot of a hour or two's work but its getting there. plenty more detail to add and tweak.

Macklin... Sent you an e-mail about this stuff as well.

Chris
    www.partsofsw.com
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 2, 2006, 5:37 PM - #122

Chris, reply sent.

Marcus sent me a higher res version pf a picture I already had. I thought I had seen some things before. Now I'm almost positively definite that I think I see something. <sigh>

Are those washers?

This picture plays with my head. I see shapes that I haven't seen in any other photos of this side. I realize that many of the publicity pics were airbrushed all to hell, but it's at least worth bringing up.

EDIT:

Noticed another area that bothers me. Any ideas on what's happening here?

23. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 2, 2006, 8:28 PM - #123

Credit for the pic goes to Mr. Reiff
    From
    Michigan
    Jun 2, 2006, 11:10 PM - #124

Macklin - I don't think those are washers.
    If you look at the preproduction photos of the beginnings of the bowcaster conversion the knob configuration is a little different.
    The circle around the far right knob is a scratch. Originally they had the larger Fender knob there (which was moved to the left side). That's just some sort of outline mark left behind. The other two are too faint IMO to be anything like a washer. I don't think that corner you marked is anything either- just a weird shadow of the knob reflecting in the skirt of the larger dial.

From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 3, 2006, 2:40 AM - #125

That works for me. I'll remove the washer from my CAD drawing.