Bowcaster Parts

We see it. The framing is pretty close on Chewie, so there are only a couple of frames with a blaster bolt in it.

Here's low res copies of what I have - hope they help:

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow3.jpg

bow4.jpg

Now those are nice. Thanks for posting them.

Not at all what I was picturing for the knobs. Looks like plastic with aluminum skirts.

Could the metal knurled knobs have been used on the Han hero blaster or was it confirmed that those were from the Sinatra gun?

EDIT:

I found the black knobs with metal skirts. They are available at most online electronics supply and surplus dealers. Not at all hard to find.

Still looking for the knurled knobs.

Originally posted by kurtyboy
Originally posted by Macklin
I found the black knobs with metal skirts. They are available at most online electronics supply and surplus dealers. Not at all hard to find.
Yeup, thanks for the info Macklin. Any idea how big those knobs are? I've already found a few that look close. It's hard to tell but it looks like the larger one in the middle might have numbers written on it but I can't tell.

The main thing that stands out is the front sight changed after ANH.
I was digging through my pics just now and found a few images of the ROTJ bowcaster:

bowcaster_B_002.jpg
bowcaster_B_003.jpg

From what I can see the only visible difference is that the string has been added. Obviously things like the various knobs, discs, and dials could have changed, as could the strap but I don't see anything different about the front sight. What are you referring to?

Last edited:
The plug on the side of the low res photos looks to be an old RCA style plug. I remember using one similar back in the 70's, think they came in orange.

Wow...so that's the actual prop? What's the one without the balls?

I'm working on mine. Just got done cutting out the inside of the stock and front area of the Horton.

Scott

IIRC - Andrew Ainsworth mentioned the use of audio equipment for SW prop parts. I believe these knobs might be from amps etc.
The knurled ones seem to be off of a camera - maybe inside the Eumig or Kalimar.
Marcus should be able to check those.
Note the tall one with the base has the word "wind" on top and a curved arrow indicating the direction to turn. There are two thin arrows on top of the other one indicating that it turns clockwise just like the taller one.

Scott - The prop in the pics without the balls is the ANH bowcaster in progress. It's still missing the two 4x20 scopes and Imperial disc greeblies as well.

I don't recall if I mentioned it in this thread but the balls on the bowcaster are solid cast foam rubber, not racquetballs (as Mayhew recalled). They added the balls to the prop so Peter Mayhew wouldn't accidentally stab himself. I spoke with the owner of the original prop awhile back. I've been looking for the correct type of balls since with no luck. I remember them from when I was a kid, but they apparently don't make them like that anymore - probably toxic ;)
Of course I asked about the crossbow itself, but he said there are no manufacturer markings on it. The crossbow frame is aluminum.

Great photos Jason. Thanks.

Philmore #337 does look good for the large knobs. Is the size correct?

The large knob is missing from the left side in the Chronicles photo and you can see the area of missing paint. Is the Chronicles photo from pre or post production?

What about knob #3020 for the one below the RAC plug? The skirt is the wrong color/material but once painted it could look ok.

Chris, I don't see anything like those in the Kalimar or Eumig :(

Originally posted by kurtyboy@Aug 28 2005, 04:00 PM
The large knob is missing from the left side in the Chronicles photo and you can see the area of missing paint. Is the Chronicles photo from pre or post production?
[snapback]1067087[/snapback]​

Chronicles pics are post production. I think that's been pretty well established because of all the damage to the props - Obi-Wan lightsaber, Han blaster and now the bowcaster.

Hey lonepigeon, are you still in touch with the owner of the original bowcaster? If so is it possible for them to take pics and/or measurements of the real thing?

BTW, I watched Empire today and observed that the string on the bow is present on the bowcaster during the Mynock hunting scene.

Originally posted by JediToren@Aug 29 2005, 04:16 AM
Hey lonepigeon, are you still in touch with the owner of the original bowcaster? If so is it possible for them to take pics and/or measurements of the real thing?
[snapback]1067432[/snapback]​

I talked to Jason Joiner. I'm not sure how intact his bowcaster is. I don't think it'll be much help.
I wonder how many bowcasters there were. If Joiner has one, Planet Hollywood used to have one (which was at least the correct crossbow- I think it lacked most parts, but string was intact) and there was supposedly a German collector who owns one.

I was discussing greeblies with Marcus and thought I'd post these points about some of the differences that occured from the time the post production in-progress pics were taken and the post-production Chronicles pics.

1. Large knob removed from the left side- end of coiled wire now goes into this hole. There's a faint circle around the hole to the right of this, but as far as I can tell nothing was there (maybe a piece that fell off during production, but not seen in preproduction pics)
2. Tapered knob with black skirt and white numbers was relocated from the right side to the left side for final prop. I'm not sure what's replacing it on the right side.
3. Three Imperial disc greeblies (assume blaster size .85" dia., not larger costume size) were added to the left side.
4. Other various flat discs added may be camera thumbscrews.

The buttons at this link are mixed up:
http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/Knobs.html

The last two knobs on the page have their names and model numbers reversed. Which screws up the buying links. Buyer beware because if you click the link you'll order the wrong ones.
Dimensions and the rest of the descriptions appear to be fine.
I believe from looking at the same parts on the second link Macklin posted that the numbered knob is #3045 and the arrow knob is #337.

I e-mailed minute-man.com so they can fix it.
We might want to hold off on ordering until they do.

The large numbered knob appears to be correct at 1.46" diameter.
The arrow one is way too big for the bowcaster. I figure the arrow one on the prop is about .825" diameter.
#3020 the tapered cone knob is the correct size for the knob on the bowcaster with the black skirt and white numbers (once painted it'll look fine).

Imperial discs may be the larger version used on costumes (based on my rough scaling so far).

Good news! I e-mailed Horton again asking for details about that old crossbow. They forwarded my message to Bernard Horton himself in Africa who says that the xbow is the "Horton Monarch Supreme." It was produced in the late 60's/early 70's and there were about 3000 made. Here is his message:

Originally posted by Bernard Horton
Hi Matt, your inquiry regarding an early Aluminum stocked crossbow has been forwarded to me in Africa to to reply to.

The crossbow you refer is almost certainly the 'Monarch Supreme.' It was a compact hunting crossbow with 150lbs draw-weight with recursive limbs (of course). It was available with open sights or telescopic sights with a sight bridge elevation adjustment. This was made in Wales in the UK, where I was born, in the late 1960s and early 70s. The stock was crudely die cast and required hand work to finish before the black nylon coating was applied. Production totals are probably around 3000.

Price in those days was about $40. There are pictures in existance, probably deep in storage archives!
Many of my productions were used in various films over the years, but, regretfully, I don't have details of all of these.

I trust the above is some interest to you, it certainly brought back old memories for me!

With kind regards, Bernard Horton

Last edited:
Holy Shat, dude.

Originally posted by JediToren@Aug 30 2005, 04:43 PM
Good news. I e-mailed Horton again asking for details about that old crossbow. They forwarded my message to Bernard Horton himself in Africa who says that the xbow is the "Horton Monarch Supreme." It was produced in the late 60's/early 70's and there were about 3000 made. Here is his message:

Originally posted by Bernard Horton@ 07/11/05 04:20 am
Hi Matt, your enquiry regarding an early Aluminium stocked crossbow has been forwarded to me in Africa to to reply to.

The crossbow you refer  is almost certainly  the ' Monarch Supreme' It was a compact hunting crossbow with 150lbs draw-weight with recurve limbs,(of course).  It was available with open sights or telescopic sights with a sightbridge elevation adjustment. This was made in Wales in the UK, where I was born, in the late 1960s and early 70s. The stock was crudly die cast and required hand work to finish before the black nylon coating was applied. Production totals are probably around 3000.
Price in those days was about $40. There are pictures in existance, probably deep in storage archives.
Many of my productions were used in various films over the years, but , regretfully, I don't have details of all of these.

I trust the above is some interest to you, it certainly brought back old memories for me.

With kind regards  Bernard Horton
[snapback]1068283[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back