Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    UK
    May 26, 2005, 11:32 AM - #26

I think its just speculation that it could be a Graflex cord on the bowcaster. It could be just about any black coiled cable.

There are actually two cables on the bowcaster. As well as the one which attaches on both sides and goes round the back just below the scope rail, there is a thinner coiled cable which seems to come from under the scope mount and attaches on the right side.

There are d-rings at the front and back of the bowcaster.
    From
    Paducah, KY
    May 26, 2005, 4:51 PM - #27

The short coiled cord also has a rather large plug, similar to a headphone plug. Here is a front view from Chronicles. It can be seen on the left.

From
    UK
    May 26, 2005, 6:31 PM - #28

Wouldn't a racquetball be too small? They are the same size as tennis balls.

The 5 imperial discs are held in with flat pan head screws. The diameter of the visible screw head is 7mm.

Originally posted by jedivigneri@May 14 2005, 02:23 AM
    Heres what I know from talking with Chewie P. Mayhew himself....

the planet hollywood hero medal i looked at with Peter, and he looked long and hard, and said "not even F##$( close..." and walked away...and all these years later we have the ACCURATE MR medals..SO ya, i think peter has a good idea of whats real off set and not...

If he said the bowcaster at disney wasnt it makes sense, as he told me back in 2000 that there was only ONE used between 77-83, and somehow it got out of the archives and into the hands of a private collector from the same source as steve sansweet got his 3po head, han gun, and other REAL sw props.* THE one and only bowcaster is in a private sw collection in germany,according to p. mayhew. and we know the ONE real hero medal from sw is in a private collection in the UK, so it all sounds right...

the "balls" were racketball balls painted black...got that from mayhew, and saw it in print once...somewhere...

Mayhew knows somethin of props, as when he saw my han blaster with real hensoldt scope he looked long and hard at it and said, WOW havent seen one of those in a long time...and he called a droid caller a "linhof" and said he had one...

that what i know...curt solo
    [snapback]986879[/snapback]
    From
    Southern California
    May 26, 2005, 7:05 PM - #29

A replica, no doubt... But there was one in a Planet Hollywood.

From
    Southern California
    May 26, 2005, 7:11 PM - #30

Here it is...

From
    UK
    May 26, 2005, 8:50 PM - #31

It may well be a replica but the base crossbow looks like the correct model.

It could even be the original but with some parts missing and other parts added. The scopes also look like the correct models.

Originally posted by PHArchivist@May 27 2005, 12:11 AM
    Here it is...
    [snapback]997091[/snapback]
    From
    UK
    May 26, 2005, 8:55 PM - #32

As Macklin pointed out to me. The balls have a seam showing on them in all photos. Racquetballs don't have a seam. They could be plastic hemispheres glued together.

Was there a company like Plastruct (who make them now) making products like this in the mid 70's? Must've been.

Originally posted by kurtyboy+May 27 2005, 01:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 27 2005, 01:50 AM)</div>
    It may well be a replica but the base crossbow looks like the correct model.

It could even be the original but with some parts missing and other parts added. The scopes also look like the correct models.

<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
    @May 27 2005, 12:11 AM
    Here it is...
    [snapback]997162[/snapback]
    [/b]
    From
    Michigan
    May 26, 2005, 10:01 PM - #33

Originally posted by kurtyboy@May 27 2005, 01:55 AM
    As Macklin pointed out to me. The balls have a seam showing on them in all photos. Racquetballs don't have a seam. They could be plastic hemispheres glued together.
    Actually racquetballs DO have seams. A racquetball I have is about 2 3/8" diameter, not sure if that's big enough. They might be another type of rubber ball if racqetballs are too small. The solid foam rubber type balls also have seams.

I have to ammend one thing I told you Marcus. There are only 3 or 4 Imperial discs on the bowcaster. 3 on the left side and that may be another 1 under the small coiled cord plug on the right side.

The two 4x20 scopes on the side attach to the Singlepoint via the scope rings. The screw in the Singlepoint scope rings thread through the side scope rings. Singlepoint rings are ROTJ type (high weaver style, maybe a bit wider base than ROTJ- not sure, depends on width of rail). The 4x20's have the same type rings as Fett's rifle, but the more common lower style (not the high ones like Fett).

I've looked off and on for the correct crossbow with no luck yet.
    From
    Paducah, KY
    May 26, 2005, 10:38 PM - #34

I stand corrected.

Ok, I just did some quick scaling from a hi-res pic and if we agree that the barrel is .625" in diameter then it looks like the balls are 2.375".

This matches perfectly with your measurements, Chris.

Patrick
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 2, 2005, 5:57 PM - #35

Does anyone know or have any guesses as to what might be used for the bow part?

Patrick
  11. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 3, 2005, 7:39 AM - #36

Must be the bow from a different crossbow. Might be ab idea to show pictures of the bow to crossbow dealers.

Originally posted by Macklin@Jun 2 2005, 10:57 PM
    Does anyone know or have any guesses as to what might be used for the bow part?

Patrick
    [snapback]1002706[/snapback]
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jun 3, 2005, 10:26 AM - #37

Not sure why you would think it would be from a different bow. Why not from that bow? I don't think it would make sense to start rigging pieces from different bows. I also wonder about them taking the time and effort to cut out all that extra material between the rails for a quick and dirty prop that has less than a minutes screen time over 2 movies.

If you're wondering about the differences in the amount of curve between the "hero" hanging on the wall, and the found part, that just due to the tension created by the bow string. Even when it's not cocked, the bow string is still under very high tension. I remember when I started making mine (based on the Barnett Commando) the hardest part was getting the bow string off. I didn't want to cut the string for fear of where everything would go flying.

There's got to be another bow out there that has the size of the Horton and the design of the Barnett (meaning empty frame).

-Fred

13. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 3, 2005, 1:34 PM - #38

There is... its just so rare that the chances of finding one are very small :P

There's got to be another bow out there that has the size of the Horton and the design of the Barnett (meaning empty frame).

-Fred
    [snapback]1003225[/snapback]
  14. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Nashville, Tennessee, United States
    Jun 15, 2005, 11:55 AM - #39

Sorry to bump this, but I am guessing that some of you have done some scaling work on the bowcaster. What are it's dimensions? How long is it and how tall?

Thanks.
  15. Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    UK
    Jun 15, 2005, 1:07 PM - #40

Originally posted by PHArchivist@May 27 2005, 12:11 AM
    Here it is...

I don't see a picture...
    From
    California
    Jun 15, 2005, 2:12 PM - #41

One of my garrison members who plays one of our Vaders also made a Chewbacca suit along with a bowcaster. I will dig up the pictures and post them them later.
    From
    California
    Jun 16, 2005, 1:13 AM - #42

Here are the pictures. This thing is very heavy.

18. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Jun 16, 2005, 12:35 PM - #43

That's a nice a bowcaster. Can you post any info on it's construction?

I sent an e-mail to Horton and asked if they knew anything. This is the reply I just recieved:

Originally posted by Michelle at Horton
    Good morning Matt,

First of all let me say that this is the first question of this type that I've had to answer, and being a Star Wars fan myself I was intrigued by the subject.

Every crossbow maker has their signatures. Certain key features that no matter how old or new they are, are seen on every bow they make from start to finish. Horton was founded in 1964. The founder, Bernard Horton, being a former gun smith wanted to revolutionize the crossbow and give it the look and feel of a firearm. I've attached an image of the oldest bow that I could find. It was called a Safari Magnum and it was first introduced in 1979.

While it wasn't introduced until 3 years after 1976 you can see how the shape is very similar to the bowcaster. I've also attached an image of a bow that was only just manufactured in the mid-90s called the Stag. The Stag has a lot of the key features that the bowcaster has, for example the hollow stock and the overall shape is very similar. (Also the Stag is 32" long.)

Looking at the bowcaster from the front the limbs/arms look tapered as the Stag and Safari Magnum are.

In my opinion, I'd say there's probably a 95% chance that the bowcaster WAS modeled off the Horton bow of the time simply judging by overall shape and size. In short, if you know what one Horton bow looks like you can tell when you see a different one if that is a Horton, and the bowcaster has all the earmarks to me of being a Horton. (The bowcaster from Revenge of the Sith was most likely a fabrication of Hollywood, so I won't try to judge that one.)

Hope this information helps,
    Michelle

*may the force be with you*
    Not any new info, other than that they've been around long enough to have made the crossbow that was used for the bowcaster.

Using the photo from the Parts of Star Wars, I scaled the bowcaster to about 30 inches long. Does that sound about right to you guys?
    Last edited by GotWookiee; May 13, 2007 at 3:25 PM.
  19. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 16, 2005, 5:12 PM - #44

The Horton Magnums with the solid stock are only 27" long.
  20. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Jun 16, 2005, 9:47 PM - #45

Good to know.

Any idea if my 30 inch measurement for the length of the bowcaster is correct?
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 17, 2005, 12:26 AM - #46

Hmm...I get 27-1/2" on mine.

I was always under the impression that the original prop was a real crossbow of the time, possibly a European tournament crossbow.

When I saw the Horton Magnum being used to scratchbuild props I immediately concluded that Horton acquired the original design either through a defunct company or it was an old design of theirs. Then they retooled it for injection molding in whatever space-age material they used. In the retooling process, they made certain modificatoins, the most noteable being that they filled in the negative space from the origilnal design.

This would provide more stability with the lighter material and add some weight, perhaps helping to balance the weapon. I suspect that it would make the manufacturing process a bit easier as well.

So...let's not assume that they actually used the current Horton Magnum for Chewie's crossbow. It could have been an earlier productoin piece from Horton or another company. It could have been a prototype. It could have been a specialty crossbow for tournament use only and not marketed to the general public.

And yes, it could have been that blasted Champaigne crossbow.

Whatever the case, I'm sure the bow used for Chewie's prop was original to the weapon they used. We're just trying to find a suitable replacement for the Horton Magnum, which is roughly similar in shape, but doesn't have those neat 70's swooping curves. So far I haven't found any source for just the bow, which is called the prod in crossbow circles.

Not trying to rant here, just trying to offer some perspective and help uncross some wires.

BTW, those pics - is that TK818? I've been trying to contact him with no success.

Patrick
  22. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jun 17, 2005, 5:24 AM - #47

Yep, closer to 27 1/2" than 27". Still way short of 32".
  23. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Jun 17, 2005, 11:20 AM - #48

Thanks for the scaling information.

Thanks for the clarification on things, Macklin.

Regarding the Champagne Champion Crossbow: What is the source of that information? How did it get started that that bow was the basis of the bowcaster? Also, does anyone have any information on it at all? Any pics? Any evidence of that crossbow's existence? How about any information on the company? Do they still exist?

Thanks.
    From
    Paducah, KY
    Jun 18, 2005, 12:23 AM - #49

The first I ever heard of the Champagne crossbow was in a phone conversation with Jeff Ritzmann back in '99 (Jeff, you out there?). He told me that he had researched and discovered the identity of the crossbow, then after a LONG search he found one. I'm sure he spoke to other people about this because soon after our conversation it came out on the boards.

I also remember that he gave me the length as being 27-1/2". Huh...

I have done a fair amount of research on this over the years and have found no evidence of there being such a company. I trust Jeff at his word and he said that they were ultra rare. So finding one will be next to impossible. Still, I feel that I should have run across something by now.

The Horton Magnum is the next closest thing. I'm certainly thankful that we have at least this to work with. They pop up on ebay from time to time. Just keep looking.

I'm taking my time with the conversion on my crossbow, taking step-by-step pictures in anticipation of creating a tutorial. It's slow going, but it seems to be coming along nicely.
  25. Wookiee RPF Premium Member GotWookiee's Avatar
    From
    Jun 18, 2005, 12:23 PM - #50

Thanks, Macklin. I've asked that question for a long time and have always got "I just heard on the boards."

If you can get a hold of this Jeff guy, it would be awesome to see some pics of the crossbow as well as more information on how he found out that it was the basis of the crossbow.