Bowcaster Parts

I did all the hollowing out/filling/sanding on the frame but put the project on hold until machined side plates and the knobs that haven't been identified yet were being offered. Sadly that seems to have fallen by the way side :(

Yeah...to bad. And don´t forget the front sight assembly.

CHRIS R. ...where are you buddy???

markus

In post 172, they're button backs.

In post 180, its a resin mystery disc for the Solo ANH blaster. Not something I'd ever planned to include on my Han Hero. I think its about the right shape and size. The neat thing is it is domed and has an inverted nipple in the center. I think that spot above the trigger is like the feature above the trigger on the MG34 but I don't know how big that is.

The post below has the resin mystery disc too.

I got some work done on the other knobs on the cut-out plates today.

Last edited:
Here is another picture. I'll try to get the other side plate finished soon.

bowcaster_w_sideplate.jpg

Thanks Philip.

Very cool...is it a custom bow section you´re using on your BC?

I´ve never seen one with these sharp angles bent.
Still struggling to find a decent bow to go with my horton safari :unsure

The one I have is stamped metal and doens´t have the proper shape to be used with the BC :cry

Any idea where to get JUST a decent bow?

Markus

I honestly tried to go with a real bow prod. I couldn't find enough info to make an informed decision. I wrote a couple crossbow dealers. Both said to use spring steel and a saber saw if I didn't plan on firing it. I ended up going with 1/8" aluminum and cut it to shape with a saber saw. It's straight along the top but thick in the middle and narrowed towards the ends on the bottom edge. I bent it around a keg and did the sharper bends with a vise. I may redo it at some point, but it suits me for now.

Anyone have an extra
P-K314 KNOB, FENDER BLACK, SKIRTED, PKG OF 6, FOR BLACKFACE AMPS

Or dose anyone need one of these nobs? They are sold in a package of 6.

Anyone have an extra
P-K314 KNOB, FENDER BLACK, SKIRTED, PKG OF 6, FOR BLACKFACE AMPS

Or dose anyone need one of these nobs? They are sold in a package of 6.

I made molds of most knobs and cast them in resin.
IF you want a set, drop me a line...might be more cost effective!?

Markus

Some of the pictures of the real prop or Planet Hollywood prop do not show up anymore. Can they be reposted ? Im working on completeing my Bowcaster and am down to the nitty gritty details. Thank you again to Markus as he has been great in pointing out some details, plus had the correct knobs.

Go-Go Gadget Thread Resurrection!

In the 3 and half years since this thread has seen a new post, virtually every component of the ANH bowcaster has been identified.
The detailed history of the Original Model 7 4x20 scope has been researched by intwenothor: http://www.therpf.com/f79/original-model-7-4x20-scope-telescopic-sight-found-part-191095/
We now know that the Imperial discs are from and several other discs on the body of the crossbow are from a JA Mitchel turntable. The source parts for the rest of the side panel pieces (from various Zorki and Kodak 35mm cameras, as well as some amplifier knobs) have all been discovered.
And finally, the crossbow itself: The Horton Magnum. There are now two people on this board who own this crossbow, and I will become the third in a week or two. Over the years I have collected every other BC part except those that have yet to be identified.

The only remaining unidentified parts are the barrel assembly, barrel support, and front sight.

bowcaster_anh_001_0.jpgbowcaster_anh_002_0.jpgbowcaster_anh_003_0.jpgbowcaster_anh_006_0.jpg

It has been suggested that the front sight is an Enfield No. 4. I have an enfield No. 4 and it's not it, but it's clearly something like it. Its flat on top and has a split in the center. It's got "wings" attached to each side that are bent out a bit. Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Additionally, I was chatting with odiwan and he suggested the barrel assembly might actually be a "goat's foot" crossbow cocking lever, similar to this Barnett cocking lever from the 80's.

$_12 (1).JPG$_12.JPG$_12 (2).JPG

I think he's probably right. You can see how the basic design is very similar to the barrel assembly on the bc. The y-shaped lever looks similar to the arms/box that the barrel is attached to underneath the scopes. The handle is about the right diameter and length. Even the hinged part vaguely resembles the barrel support at the front of the weapon, which also appears to have a hinge at the bottom.
It's also an accessory that Bapty's might have picked up when they bought the Horton Magnum crossbow. I'm going to bet that the part we're looking for is an antique crossbow cocking lever, possibly made by Horton. Anyone recognize it?

Empire/Jedi Bowcaster differences
I've also been looking at pictures of the Empire/Jedi version of the bowcaster for differences, and there are quite a few. There are the obvious ones, of course, like the fact that the string is still on the bowcaster and the limbs are pulled back. You've also got the different, narrower sling.

bowcaster_tesb_001_0.jpg
In the photo above you can see that the barrel assembly is just a barrel that terminates just below the scopes. Also the side coiled cord is the same size as the one that that wraps around the back of the bowcaster. On the ANH version, that side cord is smaller.

Also notice the front sight and barrel support:
bowcaster_rotj_008_0.jpgbowcaster_rotj_009_0.jpg
The front sight is round with no split, and the wings look like they are part of it rather than a bolted on piece like in ANH.
The barrel support is also smaller and the hole is much smaller and lower. There's still a hinge at the base, though.

And here, the JA Michel discs (not the imperial discs, the other ones) that are above the trigger on the ANH BC are gone:
bowcaster_rotj_001_0.jpg

Of course, we've never see the side panel much on the Empire/Jedi BC because Chewie's hair is always covering it. Anyways, thought I would update this thread.

EDIT: I suppose a mod ought to move this to the Star Wars forum.

Last edited:
I had a really good day today!

My Horton Magnum arrived from England!
IMAG1080.jpgIMAG1079.jpgIMAG1078.jpgIMAG1077.jpgIMAG1076.jpg

I've looking for this baby for almost 9 years!

It's no wonder these things are so damn hard to find. Mine has a decal that identifies it as a Horton Crossbow but nothing about the model. I know others have turned up without any markings at all! The previous owner had inherited it from a relative who had also inherited it. The owner just happened to be into SW costuming and props and knew what it was. They saw all my posts about bowcasters and Wookiee costumes and contacted me about buying it.

It seemed too good to be true and I almost blew it off as a scam. Sure glad I didn't!

I've got all the correct scopes and most of the camera knobs. Just need to find some old Michel turntable parts and id those barrel and sight parts.

Excellent! Keeping my fingers crossed that I can dig one up...

It was one of the first pieces I wanted when we were starting The Parts of Star Wars back in the 90's. Exciting to see at least a few of these things turning up.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations from one lucky Horton Magnum owner to the other ;)

Make sure to post WIP-pictures and keep me in mind for the CNC´d parts!!!

Markus

I had a really good day today!

My Horton Magnum arrived from England!
View attachment 302497View attachment 302498View attachment 302499View attachment 302500View attachment 302501

I've looking for this baby for almost 9 years!

It's no wonder these things are so damn hard to find. Mine has a decal that identifies it as a Horton Crossbow but nothing about the model. I know others have turned up without any markings at all! The previous owner had inherited it from a relative who had also inherited it. The owner just happened to be into SW costuming and props and knew what it was. They saw all my posts about bowcasters and Wookiee costumes and contacted me about buying it.

It seemed too good to be true and I almost blew it off as a scam. Sure glad I didn't!

I've got all the correct scopes and most of the camera knobs. Just need to find some old Michel turntable parts and id those barrel and sight parts.

Excellent. Nine years is a very long time. I love found part builds. Dedication, dedication, dedication. I really want to see this built!

See PM.
Could the front sight not be part of a goatsfoot?

Andy

Anything is possible, but it doesn't look like any part of a cocking lever I've seen yet, but does look like a rifle sight, similar in concept to an Enfield No. 4. If it walks like a duck...

I've actually managed to contact Bernard Horton again and he says the Magnum was the crossbow he was contracted to make for Single Point, the same crossbow later sold under the Gunmark brand by a Single Point exec.

He also says that his company used to make cocking levers, so that theory on the barrel assembly and related parts seems to be panning out.

I'll post when I know more.

Last edited:
Racket balls painted black you say? Who knew? I've been looking for a suitable set of balls to use on my custom bowcaster for ages. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back