The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

DaddyfromNaboo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This thread is where to look first for any information regarding PEPAKURA.

If you are looking for information on the technique, then go through this thread first. Pep is not that hard to understand, so a quick glance will go a long way.

For the original software go to Tamasoft´s website
Pepakura Designer

There is a free pep file viewer available from Tamasoft, the full version of the software which lets you edit and manipulate files and make your own unfolds, for only 38 US-$.
Requests for "free" versions of Pepakura are unnecessary at that price tag.

Freeware and shareware 3D-software is available e.g. under

www.blender.org

www.wings3d.com

www.sketchup.google.com

MeshLab - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

More can be found here:

Free 3D Software

Resources for models

If you are looking for specific resources like files and can´t find them in here, then please use the search function first before posting any requests. Google also is your friend, and it´s very likely that if "[insertdescription of what you are lookingfor] pepakura pdo" does not produce any results on Google, a request posted here will do the same.

As an example for resources you can have a look

-at Dungbeetles website:
http://www.printablearmory.com

-at robo3687´s Iron Man MK IV suit files (from "Iron Man 2"):
robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

-at one of the main resources on the web is the 405th and their forum, having a huge archive of knowledge about Pepakura:
405th.com | We Build Your Character | Home of the 405th Infantry Division, 405th Source News, and Forums | Learn to Build Master Chief armor, the Arbiter, Cortana, ODST armor, Recon armor, Hayabusa armor, Marine armor, and more! - Home

- at this forum with a download library
Hobby Forum

- Propzone, Belgian forum and site with a few free peps
Propzone

- huge Pepakura Wiki with subsections e.g. for Star Wars
Pepakura File Wiki

- huge Pepakura Wiki for HALO armor
Pepakura File Index - Halo Costuming Wiki

- this blog that has a few quite unique and high detailed peps such as Buzz Lightyear, Darth Vader, Terminator etc.
ELSO CRAFT

- a plethora of all kinds of models, from figures to vehicles to props

http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/gallery/page/1/

Tutorials

Our member Stealth created a series of very good video tutorials:

How To Use PEPAKURA For Costume Building

http://www.therpf.com/f24/tutorial-using-pepakura-foam-costume-building-120019/

The veterans of Pepakura armour building over at the 405th.com collected their valuable knowledge in the following forum:

Pepakura and Cardboard Armor

And a thread that should definitely be visited by noobs is
http://www.therpf.com/f24/noob-field-guide-pep-costuming-175679/

Please be aware that the main forum lives from the diversity of props.
Asking the same, often very simple, questions over and over again only clogs up the main forums and is not necessary.
The same goes for new threads on each and every version of the same or very similar paper prop such as a helmet.

A thread that just simply asks "How do I work with Pepakura" or "what paper or glue should I use" or "where can I get pepakura model of XYZ" will be either integrated into this thread or deleted without further notice.

Show off threads are of course very welcome in the main forum, but to make the experience for others as interesting as possible please refrain from posting pictures if you are only in the beginning stages, i.e. just glued a few pieces together or only have a finished paper model of helmet.

If you create your own pep file, then it is important to give proper credit if you

- did not create the 3D model
- used another PDO as a basis for your work

but still want to redistribute the Pep-file.

The redistribution of unfolded 3D models that were used without the express permission of the original creator of the 3D model is not allowed, since its bordering on digital recasting.
Redistribution of Pepakura files can only be done when proper credit is given to the creator and the redistributor made sure that there are no objections against redistributing the files.

ATTENTION:
IF YOU DECIDE TO CREATE CASTINGS OF A FINISHED ITEM THAT STARTED AS A PEP FILE, WITH THE GOAL OF SELLING COPIES, THEN PLEASE GIVE PROPER CREDIT TO THE ORIGINAL CREATOR OF THE 3D-MODEL AND GET HIS PERMISSION FIRST TO USE HIS WORK BEFORE SETTING UP A SALE!

Enjoy your pep work and show those finished, glassed, bondoed, painted items !!!

Michael
(RPF staff member at the time this thread was started, now retired)

Last edited:
WHAT Is Pepakura ?! - Go HERE for ALL pep tech discussions!

Someone please explain this downloading-cool-patterns-to-fold-out-of-papaer-jazz to me. Thanks...! :cool

Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved???

Pepakura is a paper modeling/unfolding program from Tamasoft. They are totally legit. The free programs work great.

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

The program can read various 3D image files and help you "unfold" them into flat 2D representations, much like a puzzle to be cut out and built.

LOTS of folks out ther have the paid designer program, and develop "unfolded" versions of different designs into PDO files.

A google search on your favorite subject, followed by "pepakura" or "PDO" will probably give you a GREAT starting point.

"So you have the Pepakura reader/designer and some PDO files, what next?"
Look at the file in the designer and play with some settings to get to know it. When you are ready, use the Pep software to print your design onto cardstock.

Some folks use regular paper, but cardstock will be easier to work with. You can then cut out your design and match the edges of your cutouts to other parts in the design.

You can turn edge numbering on and off in the program and there are a few things to know that will help. The design features solid lines, dashes and dot-dashes. The solid lines are for cutting. The dashed and dot-dash lines are for folding. Looking down on your design a "------" or regularly spaced dash line will be folded like a mountain peak. or at least will follow a curve/bend toward the ceiling. The dot-dash lines "._._._" will be the valley folds and fold like a "V" or a bowl shape.

I like to use flat, thin (they have thick foam ones, you dont want those) photograph mounting strips found itn he scrap-booking section of a craft store to match the flaps to their corresponding "face" on various peices.

Anything that will help you cut paper and stick paper to itself is welcome here.

After you finish your paper model, you then decide what to do with it. That particular part of the discussion is a longer post yet, but this should suffice to get you started.

Last edited:

If you do a search, this question has been asked multiple times and several topics can be found on this

yeah but nachtinis did a wonderful job at answering alot of the questions i had. that searching would have maybe answered one.
thank you nachtinis!

Not saying that he didn't....but there was a thread within the last week that asked the same question

these help keep my kid buzy during the rainy days when cant go play outside
and since she too young to join in the workshop

its a starting point to build up her skills
and helps with daddy dauther time

i think i saw that thread, and it wasnt nearly as helpful. sometimes, though frowned upon asking the same question twice yields better results.

I have to admit, I glanced at the other thread (I'm also a complete pepakura novice) out of curiosity and if it's the thread I'm thinking of, it had already dissolved into arguments about the skill levels associated with pep vs. sculpting by the bottom of page 1. I lost interest after that. Nachtinis did a great job in explaining - even I understand it now :lol

I have a friend who is trying her first helmet out of this. I have a novice kind of follow up question: Would it be better to fiberglass the finished product, or use bondo? What are the pros and cons of both?

I have a friend who is trying her first helmet out of this. I have a novice kind of follow up question: Would it be better to fiberglass the finished product, or use bondo? What are the pros and cons of both?

You have to do both. A piece of paper would crumble under the weight of Bondo...even if you put a few coats of resin on it. Bondo is very brittle, so it's only really good for adding details once you've already strengthened it with fiberglass.

The other option for strengthening is called Rondo...I've never personally tried it, but do a search over at the 405th and I'm sure you'll find plenty of info.

-Nick

what if did something close to brush coat(s) of
smooth on roto casting resin ?? or simliar resin

There have been a few people who have successfully rotocasted SmoothCast on the inside of their peps to strengthen them. Most still resin the outside to prevent major leaks though. And you'll still need auto body filler (like Bondo) to smooth it out.

-Nick

This also ties into my thread question regarding a free 3D CG program. Blender is the one I am using in order to design a 3D image of the prop and import it into Pep.

My follow up question to the now Page 2 thread is regarding what if your prop is larger than a standard priner 11x17 page? How can you subdivide your prop into multiple parts in order to print each section and assemble?

Does the free download of Pep not require a license? What are the restrictions of not being licesned? Printing? Saving?

Someone please explain this downloading-cool-patterns-to-fold-out-of-papaer-jazz to me. Thanks...! :cool

the405th.com has the most informative threads available for pepping. This includes gluing, resin coating, and bondo. A great step by step resource.

Many thanks to Machtinis! I'll have to start playing with this.:cool

Is there any way to get unfolded versions on a mac without having to install windows via bootcamp? :confused

i have looked around, but cant seem to find any alternative, but maybe someone around here knows?

THankS!

Is there any way to get unfolded versions on a mac without having to install windows via bootcamp? :confused

i have looked around, but cant seem to find any alternative, but maybe someone around here knows?

THankS!
I can print to .pdf if there is a certain file you are wanting. Send me a pm with the link to the file and I can save the unfold as a .pdf and post a link to the file for you.

To Capn Jack Savvy: Save and export .obj are disabled in the unlicensed version. Everything else works like the paid one.

My follow up question to the now Page 2 thread is regarding what if your prop is larger than a standard priner 11x17 page? How can you subdivide your prop into multiple parts in order to print each section and assemble?

There is a Divide/Connect face button in pepakura designer which allows you to slice up the faces of an object so that it fits properly into the page.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back