The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved???

Sorry no mac version yet.

My process for "cardglassing":
1) polyurethane seal the paper model at 3 coats, not too thick.
2) glue/hotglue (seal) obvious holes in the peice where resins will leak through
3) light coat of polyester (fiberglass) resin or smoothcast 300/325 brushed on to about 3 coats.
4) interior resining can now be done roto casting for initial durability or slush in some smoothcast or resin. 2x coats should suffice then if you want add the fiberglass cloth to a 3rd layer.
5) grind off any escaped resins/plastic from holes you missed
6) bondo with a spatula at all seamed areas, be frugal and work in layers
7) SAND repeat to #6 as needed
8) when you get to a point where its smaller than quarter sized areas to bondo, start using a filler putty instead, glazing putty works great.
9) SAND and repeat to #8 as needed
10) Use a leveling resin as the final coating and sand that gradually getting to a finer grit then use steel wool
11) grind off and sand excess resins
12) paint
13) ???
14) profit

Another process:
1) Seal the outside of the model with polyurethane
2) carefully wrap the model as close to its surfaces as possible with tin foil
3) melt plasticine (non hardening clay)
4) pour melted plasticine into model cavity and let cool
5) remove foil and paper and you now have a base clay model to work from!

Last edited:

I think I may give my hand a try at making a storm trooper bucket. I've been wanting a set of armor for a while now, so why not try to make the helmet?

Pepakura is becoming so popular that these questions are going to be repeated on a regular basis. Do anyone else think that a dedicated pep section be added to the forum just for this?

I'll piggyback on here to avoid starting up another thread :)

The lack of a Mac version has been lamented many times. I'm one of those... I have several Macs and several Linux desktops. I don't really want to load up Windows just for this.

Is it possible to save the PDO as a PDF or something, so that they can be printed out by anyone, on any platform?

If so, I wonder if anyone could be talked into making a PDF library...

I agree. Putting together a PDF library would be a great idea.

They did that over at thedentedhelmet.com. All the PDF templates are consolidated into one thread for everyone to use.

I'll piggyback on here to avoid starting up another thread :)

The lack of a Mac version has been lamented many times. I'm one of those... I have several Macs and several Linux desktops. I don't really want to load up Windows just for this.

Is it possible to save the PDO as a PDF or something, so that they can be printed out by anyone, on any platform?

If so, I wonder if anyone could be talked into making a PDF library...

if you want i can print some up for you since live close by

I might be missing something, but i checked the today for the library of pep pdfs at the dented helmet. couldnt find em.

I am just doing something silly and thick, or does it no longer exist?

The only problem with a pdf library is that the scale of a .pdo that is converted to .pdf is a pain in the crotch to re-scale outside of pep designer. You might end up looking like a bobble head or worse depending on the file you choose.

I recommend finding the files you want and having someone scale them for you.

Question re. Pepakura Desinger

I did a search on the site, and have clicked randomly on buttons in the program like a good little geek with no joy.

Can anyone tell me if there's settings to change, or a way to increase the size of and/or move the edge numbers in Pep? When I was 25 I'm sure they would have been OK (perhaps), but that was 20 years ago and the eyes aren't what they used to be.

What I'd like to do is both increase font size for the edge numbers, and perhaps move them so there's no overlap on small pieces.

Re: Question re. Pepakura Desinger

Not much you can do for the overlap but the font size should be under "line settings" in the 2D window tab.

Might be "Line Properties" depending on what version you have.

I occasionally HAVE to print pdf versions as my Pep View and PepD sometimes print all black pages.

iron man pep question

I'm new to the world of pep and I'm sitting here with a table full of cut out pieces and I have no idea where to start. It's hard to identify which piece goes where.

Any suggestions on where to start? low or high numbers first? I'm spending half my time just finding two pieces that match.

Re: iron man pep question

I'm new to the world of pep and I'm sitting here with a table full of cut out pieces and I have no idea where to start. It's hard to identify which piece goes where.

Any suggestions on where to start? low or high numbers first? I'm spending half my time just finding two pieces that match.

Open the pep program, click on a bunch of pieces next to each other on the 3D model, find them in your bunch and start gluing. Then when you start to run out, click the next load of pieces around that bunch, find those and start gluing those. It'll get easier to sort them out the more you get done.

Re: iron man pep question

Open the pep program, click on a bunch of pieces next to each other on the 3D model, find them in your bunch and start gluing. Then when you start to run out, click the next load of pieces around that bunch, find those and start gluing those. It'll get easier to sort them out the more you get done.

Sadly I don't have the 3D model, only a PDF.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back