The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST!

So I started today on the helmet and I have to admit that its a bit tougher and more time consuming than i thought it would be. After getting a few pieces cut and glued together I went to my softball game and managed to dislocate and brake my right middle finger:cry so now I'm struggling to cut and glue. this is just my luck!!

I am doing a mark 6 pep and I about to print out the back but I see there are two backs in this download pack that I downloaded from ROBO one is unfolded by Jason and the other is by BALMUG. Which of these is the better one to use?

The one unfolded by Balmung is laid out on A4 sized paper, and Jason's is on letter size. Being here in the US, you'll want to go with letter size unless you happen to have a pack of A4 paper laying around. :)

I've had an epiphany.

As I sit here picking away at an Iron Man foot, I finally realized that I'm being WAY too anal retentive about glue flaps. Having been a paper modeler for so long, I've just become used to making sure each tab goes completely underneath the edge it's meant to mate up with. Sometimes this involves some pretty hilarious acrobatics on larger pieces, flipping the thing every which way trying to get tools and glue and such in the right places.

And just now it hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't believe I've been this blind. It doesn't matter if they're on top or on bottom...they're all getting resin and Bondo-ed over anyway. Ugh. How much time have I wasted trying to be so "perfect"?

I'm sure plenty of you already figured that out, but I'm working against ten years of modeling habits here. In case you hadn't figured it out yet, give it a try. Go ahead and stick that flap down on top of the sheet instead of under it, or vice-versa. It's very liberating. :lol

imagine my surprise when i had to mirror a side for my rocketeer helmet and come up with flaps that didnt exist before. i was like "why didnt i think of this before?"

The one unfolded by Balmung is laid out on A4 sized paper, and Jason's is on letter size. Being here in the US, you'll want to go with letter size unless you happen to have a pack of A4 paper laying around. :)
thanks a lot for helping me out!!! I greatly appreciate it!!:lol

Thanks to everyone for the tips and help posted here.

I installed Pepakura today and my windows are black. I cant open or create my own drawings. I read somewhere it was a graphics issue although I haven't found a solution. I'm running win 7 with a fairly new graphics card. Any ideas?

Hmmm, haven't heard of that issue before. I'm running Win 7 (x64) and a somewhat older nVidia 9400GT card, and I've never experienced any display problems myself.

A couple of quick things to try:

1) Make sure you have the absolute latest driver for your video card, preferably from the chip manufacturer's web site (gonna be AMD/ATI or nVidia most likely).

2) Update DirectX with this Microsoft updater.

Aside from that, I don't have any immediate suggestions, but be sure to post your findings/results here. Lots of us are pretty darn good at remote troubleshooting. :)

Pilot thanks heaps! I updated both GPU driver and Direct X and it works fine. ;)

I have another quick question if someone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated, I have just pepped the mark IV front and back armor and i am ready to resin them both, should i attach them together then resin and seperate them when I am done or should i do them seperatly??

After constructing dancin_fool's torso pieces, I decided I was going to do the attach -> resin -> detach thing with them. Of course, that was before robo came out with the MkVI files (which I'm working on now) and I'm not sure how those line up because I haven't made the chest and back yet.

If you make both pieces separate with the supports, in theory everything should line right up after slapping the resin on. In practice these are still pretty flimsy pieces until they've got a couple of coats on them, but other folks seem to be having good luck doing them separately.

I guess I'm saying that I don't have any real advice for you, but I'll certainly support whatever decision you make. :lol

Didn't read through all the posts so if this has already been asked I apologize.

I would like to know how you guys go about the printing part.

My printer can not print any paper thicker than 150grams, so I've been printing the pages on 80grams A4 paper, cut each piece out roughly (with some allowance on all sides), gluing them on card stock, then cut out the exact shape. Its both time consuming, and frustrating, because after everything is assembled, I have to remove all the paper from the card stock before applying any putty on it, or risk areas flaking off because the putty only stuck to the paper and not to the card stock.

Just curious how others do it...
Any help with my question? Anyone? :confused

Do you have anything that would be equivalent to a Wal-Mart in Malaysia? Honestly, your best bet would be to go buy the cheapest ink jet printer you can get your hands on. Even the most basic of Lexmark printers will easily feed 110 pound (200 gsm) card stock. Here in the US, a base model printer and an extra black ink cartridge would set you back about US$75, not sure what the differences would be for you. I think a little bit of investment would save you a _lot_ of labor, compared to what you're doing now.

Also, you can get 67 pound (148 gsm) card stock - not as sturdy as the 200gsm, but still sturdy enough if you're careful with your build and are willing to work with something slightly more delicate. :)

I have put pepped the ROBO MARK IV helmet and it seems as though it is really big? I just have the pep viewer so I can't adjust the size at all, is the helmet the right size the way ROBO has it posted?

Do you have anything that would be equivalent to a Wal-Mart in Malaysia? Honestly, your best bet would be to go buy the cheapest ink jet printer you can get your hands on.
We don't get our printers from stores like Wal-Mart, although we do have something similar. We normally get all our PC related equipment at dedicated computer stores :)

Sadly, I've explored that option before, and nothing available locally can print anything thicker than 120gsm, not even expansive models. The owner of the shop I frequent was kind enough to let me test almost all their existing models, and only two models can take 120gsm cardstock; and even that, just barely, as you need to use a ruler to hold the paper down as it comes out so the corners don't get caught on the sides. :(

My printer is the type that feeds paper from the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone has printed card stock from a printer like mine? I cant try it myself as I need to buy some more ink and some 200gms paper.

SaberFreak, I wish I had some better suggestions for you. Sorry you're having so much trouble. :(

Xris, my main printer is an HP C3180, which is an all-in-one model that feeds from the bottom. Never had any trouble with it, but as indicated by SF's woes above, your mileage may vary significantly. All you can do is try!

My printer is the type that feeds paper from the bottom.

I was wondering if anyone has printed card stock from a printer like mine? I cant try it myself as I need to buy some more ink and some 200gms paper.

paper's paper. unless it's fed by that type of paper that feeds with holes and notches and its all connected in a ream.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back