The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST!

would anyone recommend a scale or a way to figure out your scaling to print pep helmets? i have a file i printed at 100 percent and the helmet was made for someone with a pumpkin for a head.

how strong are the pepakura armor items once coated? Whats the best material to coat them with? fiberglass?

how strong are the pepakura armor items once coated? Whats the best material to coat them with? fiberglass?
They're as strong as you make them. :) Most people are using fiberglass cloth and polyester resin (the same stuff you find at an auto parts store), others are using polyurethane resin (such as Smooth-On casting resins), and some folks like myself have somewhat eschewed the fiberglass cloth in lieu of regular old paper towels, which also hold resin very well and are very easy and safe to work with.

If you haven't read all the way through this particular thread, I really recommend doing so. There are a lot of good tips and trick mixed in with the general chatter. Also, the thread for robo3687's Iron Man files contains a TON of great information - you just have to read over 1000 posts now. :lol

Well ive searched and googled all I could and posted in another thread to no avail, so I figured id post here as a last resort.

Has anyone done a pep for maximus' gladiator helmet?

Or, is there any kind soul out there with time to burn that could do one?

MaximusHelmet01.jpg

once resined on the outside and fiberglassed on the inside, the pieces of armor should in theory be as strong as a car's shell.

Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved???

Hi I'm newbie here, sorry if I post in wrong thread
is there anyone know the place for tokusatsu or kamen rider pep files? :D

and sorry again for my bad english

Hi everyone,

So, from what I gather...if you don't want to mess around with dangerous materials (such as fiberglass, etc) what you can do is just use one layer of acrylic resin both on the inside and outside and than use the same thing with kitchen/toilet paper on the inside for some extra strength.

Bondo follows that just to add finish in some parts or on the whole thing?

Thanks in advance,
Bernardo

Didn't read through all the posts so if this has already been asked I apologize.

I would like to know how you guys go about the printing part.

My printer can not print any paper thicker than 150grams, so I've been printing the pages on 80grams A4 paper, cut each piece out roughly (with some allowance on all sides), gluing them on card stock, then cut out the exact shape. Its both time consuming, and frustrating, because after everything is assembled, I have to remove all the paper from the card stock before applying any putty on it, or risk areas flaking off because the putty only stuck to the paper and not to the card stock.

Just curious how others do it...

Halfway serious answer: It's 5 letters to type into Google.

Actual serious answer: It's a polyester-based filler compound that's typically used in automotive body work. Bondo is actually a specific brand name, but you can find the same type of product under many names in any auto parts store, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

It's a thick pasty substance that hardens very quickly via a chemical reaction. You mix a certain amount of hardener with the filler material, apply it to your project, and then wait for it to set up. There is a period of time where it's sort of rubbery, almost, before it fully hardens and can be roughly shaped with a variety of tools. Once it's fully hardened you're pretty much limited to grinding or sanding it to shape.

Hope that helps a little, and don't be shy about plugging unfamiliar terms into a search engine. :)

Thanks, that helped a lot!

Dunno if this is where I should inquire about it, but since this is stickied...

Does anybody have a Pepakura version of the Indiana Jones Fertility Idol they could share?

I have a couple of questions, one being specific to the Sharkmark 6 Iron Man helmet:

- I've been using hot glue to put the thing together, since it appears to be the most recommended gluing material Problem is, just about every pic I've seen of the model on the internet doesn't look like it's using hot glue at all. Hot glue has a depth to it that would make extremely intricate parts misaligned. How do I get that precise look? Should I use a tape, a different type of glue, or is there some type of glue gun that's made for details like that? I've been using a standard glue gun - is there some type of "detail" glue gun out there?

- The Sharkmark 6 Iron Mask has lots and lots of layers in the eye sockets, and end up covering the entire holes for the eyes. What is that detail for? Am I supposed to cut it out once I'm done with the resin and fiberglass?

i used superglue for my rocketeer helmet. the first time i used double sided tape because someone here swears by it, but i like the results of superglue.

As for the links on the first page I'm glad to see that my pepakura wikia for star wars and other files made it. And familyman I have the files needed to make a complete Grevious just have'nt posted them onto the wikia yet.

another Iron Man

so. after spending a while around the forum I decided to give robo's mark vi a try. I pepped the chest and almoast done the back. I wil upload photos of it after I fiberglass it in the weekend. can someone please first tell me how thick should the fiberglass mat be? I have 100 and 400 thicknes( dunno what that means, got it for free from a friend who can get loads of it)

Hello I am new to these forums, and I have been searching and searching but I haven't found answer so I figured I would ask, my question is after printing out the pepakura and cutting them out how do I know where to glue or attach them? is it number based? I am not sure where each piece goes? can someone please help me out?

For all of you Mac boys out there, if you guys find a Pep file that you like, I will gladly print it to PDF format for you so you can print it off of your home computer.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back