The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Getting the size right was case of trial and error with me. I finished my 2nd attempt and found it was way too small so i increased the size by 20% and then found it too be way too big. Finally, i got my mrs to measure the width of my head and then added extra on too take into account for fibreglass and foam.

Im a relative noob to this myself but think im getting there. Below is a link to stealth's youtube tutorials. I learnt alot from him in every aspect of the prop building process. If you havent already seen them, definitely give them a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONn-ouDBc74&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Random question but what resin did you use after making to help seal it and make it a bit stronger?

Well I thought if you change the height then the rest changes also. Cereal Killers build log says a build height of 280mm. Posted on his thread but no reply.
what i meant is if you entered the value in the correct window :D yo might accidently have put the height value you wanted to have into the depth window

boy, youre not getting it, are you? xD

it scales all 3 windows automatically, if you enter one value. If you enter height, the other windows will change accordingly. The thing i was suggesting, that you put the 280 mm in the width section by accident, instead of height. the helmet will allways be in proportion.

boy, youre not getting it, are you? xD

it scales all 3 windows automatically, if you enter one value. If you enter height, the other windows will change accordingly. The thing i was suggesting, that you put the 280 mm in the width section by accident, instead of height. the helmet will allways be in proportion.

YES , I am getting it. I am just asking a question. No need to come back that way. I am a little familier with the program. I put it in the height box and printed. It is smaller than the helmet that the halo game came in. When I go back to the saved file of the helmet it is 280mm since I changed it in Pep Designer.

YES , I am getting it. I am just asking a question. No need to come back that way. I am a little familier with the program. I put it in the height box and printed. It is smaller than the helmet that the halo game came in. When I go back to the saved file of the helmet it is 280mm since I changed it in Pep Designer.

(EOS means no ill harm, just so you know ;) )

What he is trying to say :
Firstly - Adjusting any one of the X Y Z lengths will automatically adjust the others based on the scale ratio. This means the obj will ALWAYS be the same at any size in the program. No XYZ can be changed independently.

Height - Means the ACTUAL height of the helmet, may not mean that in the program you should enter it in the height tab > The objects co-ordinates may be wrong, which in turn means if you enter the Height into the Height box, you may actually be entering it into the Width or Depth boxes due to the OBJ's XYZ system.

Go to post : #1045 and use my tutorial on the distance checker tool, and keep upping the scale ratio until it is a little bigger than your head's dimensions.
^ people need to use that tool more, it fixes all of these 'My scale is SHIIPPPP' questions .

Firstly - Adjusting any one of the X Y Z lengths will automatically adjust the others based on the scale ratio. This means the obj will ALWAYS be the same at any size in the program. No XYZ can be changed independently.

Height - Means the ACTUAL height of the helmet, may not mean that in the program you should enter it in the height tab > The objects co-ordinates may be wrong, which in turn means if you enter the Height into the Height box, you may actually be entering it into the Width or Depth boxes due to the OBJ's XYZ system.

Go to post : #1045 and use my tutorial on the distance checker tool, and keep upping the scale ratio until it is a little bigger than your head's dimensions.
^ people need to use that tool more, it fixes all of these 'My scale is SHIIPPPP' questions .

Sorry Sorry Sorry, I did not know. I apologize .

Ok, I was saying though that I went by what Cereal killer used. 280mm. It would only fit a five year old at this size. So I did not know if there was something I needed to change after I put in the size as when I look at the model I saved it is 280MM. I will keep working at it.

Yeah, trial and error is the way to work ;) I made a gauntlet 5 times before I got the scaling right - That was before the distance tool (i requested from tamasoft :p) was introduced.

I can scale things first go now.

More or less, measure your own head (in relevance to where the helmet should sit), so you should have L H W.

Apply a guestimate size to the helmet, then use the distance checker to see what the distance actually is on the L H W of the helmet.

If any of the helmets L H W measurements are smaller than your heads, up the scale a bit and re check the distances.
Repeat until the Helmets L H W are a little larger than that of your head ;) then pep away!!!

I have been using pep designer for a while for armor that have already been scaled up and had no need to "re-scale" them, and if I did, it wasn't a big deal because the part wasn't that complicated so I could re organize the pep file.

I now find myself in a huge problem, I have a paper-cheep file of briareos's helmet (crazy elaborate) that needs to be resized for my head and the pep file keeps getting jumbled-up when I change the scale.

Is there any way to resize it without losing my mind (again) "paper-efficient-ing" it (again) ?

not really

there is "recalculate parts layout" in the 2d menu, but its not a big help. i still use it to get basic organizing going and go on from there

Okay, a few quick questions about a pepakura model I'm planning on building (of an NCR Veteran Ranger gas mask - the helmet is included, but I won't be building that).

1 - I know the pieces have numbers and the numbers should match up. But when I export the layout to .png pictures (which I am going to have to take to a shop to be printed onto cardstock), the individual pages are labeled with what part they are, but the pieces do not have numbers on them. How do I fix?

2 - I'm think the mask is the correct size, but I'm wondering if I should scale it to make sure it fits my (large) head, and if so, exactly how do I go about doing this? What measurements should I use and how much extra space should I include?

3 - I understand that after I cut out the pieces along the solid lines, I have to fold them and glue them together at the flaps. What is the difference between a mountain and valley fold (which way is which?), I assume hot glue will work fine, and afterwards is it okay to coat it in fiberglass resin (or possibly fiberglass itself. I've seen this done by others) or will this wreck something?

I'm on a limited budget and a limited timescale, and this is my first time. I'd like to make sure I get it right. Thanks in advance for the help.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back