The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST!

Re: iron man pep question

Aquaresin and Aquaglass are the main nontoxic solutions I hear, but some people have had great results using the simplest solution of all: Paper Maché.

Good luck.

-Nick

I've used aquaresin by itself and it is quite brittle, however I haven't used it in conjunction with any aquaglass or whatever it is.

What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping??

For my first go at a pepakura iron man helmet (pic below) I used super glue to attach all the parts. I'd never done anything like this before but certainly came across two major issues with super glue:

1. You get zero window of opportunity for lining up the parts - it's really go to be first time luck to get it right - which I didn't on every part.

2. It's too easy to glue the bits to your hand!! :lol

What's the best type of glue to use when pepping? I want something that gives you more chance to line up the numbers before setting for good.

Is PVA glue worth a go? I did read that a hot glue gun is good although what are the best options?

Any suggestions welcome. I'm in the process of cutting out my second go at iron man so will use the different glue for that.

Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping??

Using Super Glue Gel instead of the regular stuff gives you a longer window to align the parts. It's really not much more than a few seconds, but it's almost all I use due to its advantages.

When I don't feel like getting headaches from constant close proximity to the fumes, I've used PVA glue. It takes a while longer to dry, but you can minimize the dry time (and paper warping) by using a small brush to apply glue to the tabs as opposed to squirting it right out of the bottle.

One of the cool things about PVA glue is that you can brush it onto your finished Pep in thin layers for quick reinforcement (to ensure sizing, working joints and all that jazz) without dealing with resin until you're sure the file works.

I cut out all the pieces first then put it together with hot glue. if you mess up, you just use the tip of the glue gun to carefully melt the glue to loosen the 2 tabs.

we don't use glue. we use scotch tapes.

yeah but you guys don't resin, if you did you'd be sorry Iza lol :)

I cut out all the pieces first then put it together with hot glue. if you mess up, you just use the tip of the glue gun to carefully melt the glue to loosen the 2 tabs.

I think she is joking, but she might not be...where am I?

BadBoy, check the sticky http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87056

Last edited:

bwahahaha. but we can. still we will use scotch tape. :angel

and we don't use cardstock/boards. we can print & build it in scratch papers. :lol

bwahahaha. but we can. still we will use scotch tape. :angel

and we don't use cardstock/boards. we can print & build it in scratch papers. :lol

yeah you guys transfer to foam, no need for cardstock which is cool :)

I'm sure this thread is about traditional use of pepakura for armor building.

yeah you guys transfer to foam, no need for cardstock which is cool :)

I'm sure this thread is about traditional use of pepakura for armor building.

i know. i'm messing with you guys. :lol i'm sure they go wondering about us using scotch tape. hahaha!

I've never understood why anybody uses anything else when white Elmer's glue is perfect for pepping. You get plenty of time to line up your tabs, there are no fumes, and you can't glue your hands together.

I've never understood why anybody uses anything else when white Elmer's glue is perfect for pepping. You get plenty of time to line up your tabs, there are no fumes, and you can't glue your hands together.

There are a couple of reasons. One is dry time. I find it really frustrating to begin connecting two assemblies together only to find that a couple of the tabs on one of them isn't fully dry and I suddenly have to rebuild half of that part.

And another good reason is warping. A miniscule amount of PVA glue will wrinkle even 110lb cardstock (as I've recently discovered) before it dries... not very good for parts intended to be symmetrical or mechanically precise.

If it weren't for the fumes, I'd stick exclusively with Super Glue Gel.

Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST!

I never thought of that, I just developed techniques to prevent the wrinkling, and my pepping probably takes a lot longer than those who use super glue.

Sounds to me like PVA glue brushed on (to avoid warping) is the way forward for me. I also like the sound of a few thin coats of PVA on the finished product for hardening etc.

Not sure about the scotch tape method btw.

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Using Super Glue Gel instead of the regular stuff gives you a longer window to align the parts. It's really not much more than a few seconds, but it's almost all I use due to its advantages.

When I don't feel like getting headaches from constant close proximity to the fumes, I've used PVA glue. It takes a while longer to dry, but you can minimize the dry time (and paper warping) by using a small brush to apply glue to the tabs as opposed to squirting it right out of the bottle.

One of the cool things about PVA glue is that you can brush it onto your finished Pep in thin layers for quick reinforcement (to ensure sizing, working joints and all that jazz) without dealing with resin until you're sure the file works.

The one time that I pepped something I used glue rollers. It´s like those White-Out rollers that you use for correcting typewriter pages, only with glue. An absolutely fantastic concept, unfortunately really expensive.

They are virtually fumes-free, they come in a permanent and non-permanent version, and in I think two different widths, fitting most of the tabs out there. It´s really a very clean way to build a pep model.
But, again, quite expensive

http://www.prittworld.com/na-e/products/adhesives/glue-roller.html

Michael

I dont use glue anymore, unless its hot glue to seal large gaps and holes. I use tape. Or rather, Diva tape cut into strips.

I also use mounting tabs for photograph scrapbooking.

The mounting tabs and diva tape is double sided and very strong.

Bonuses: No liquid on the pep.

I'm not sure about the whole tape thing. Is scotch tape actually a good substitue for glue? What about doing the resin part do you just go over the tape??

When i use the double sided tapes, i only use them on the flaps. On th einside of my kit if i need to seal a flap edge i might use scotch tape.

Typically if soemone is using regular scotch tape they are probably just prototyping a build.

If you are using your pep to do the molten clay method, the tape wont matter as you destroy the pep when removing the paper from the cooled clay.

For a shelf peice, regular tape can be devastating (over the years) as it has certin chemicals in the adhesive that will discolor and break down over time. Scrapbooking tapes are designed specifically to combat this occurance.

If you are cardglassing your pep, tape wont matter unless you go crazy with the tape...

I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated pepakura sub forum or the like.

I am just getting into it and doing my first IM build (who isn't?) and the 405th.com forums went down. From what I can remember they had a pretty detailed tutorial on pepakura, how to fold, tips, glue, etc.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back