Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member DaddyfromNaboo's Avatar
    From
    Germany
    Jun 8, 2010, 9:18 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #76

The one time that I pepped something I used glue rollers. Itīs like those White-Out rollers that you use for correcting typewriter pages, only with glue. An absolutely fantastic concept, unfortunately really expensive.

They are virtually fumes-free, they come in a permanent and non-permanent version, and in I think two different widths, fitting most of the tabs out there. Itīs really a very clean way to build a pep model.
    But, again, quite expensive

http://www.prittworld.com/na-e/produ...ue-roller.html

Michael
  2. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 8, 2010, 12:27 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #77

I dont use glue anymore, unless its hot glue to seal large gaps and holes. I use tape. Or rather, Diva tape cut into strips.

I also use mounting tabs for photograph scrapbooking.

The mounting tabs and diva tape is double sided and very strong.

Bonuses: No liquid on the pep.
  3. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 8, 2010, 1:23 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #78

I'm not sure about the whole tape thing. Is scotch tape actually a good substitue for glue? What about doing the resin part do you just go over the tape??
  4. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 8, 2010, 1:43 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #79

When i use the double sided tapes, i only use them on the flaps. On th einside of my kit if i need to seal a flap edge i might use scotch tape.

Typically if soemone is using regular scotch tape they are probably just prototyping a build.

If you are using your pep to do the molten clay method, the tape wont matter as you destroy the pep when removing the paper from the cooled clay.

For a shelf peice, regular tape can be devastating (over the years) as it has certin chemicals in the adhesive that will discolor and break down over time. Scrapbooking tapes are designed specifically to combat this occurance.

If you are cardglassing your pep, tape wont matter unless you go crazy with the tape...
  5. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 9, 2010, 12:45 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #80

I wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated pepakura sub forum or the like.

I am just getting into it and doing my first IM build (who isn't?) and the 405th.com forums went down. From what I can remember they had a pretty detailed tutorial on pepakura, how to fold, tips, glue, etc.
    From
    Edmonton
    Jun 9, 2010, 5:41 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #81

I've used double sided tape and it's a pain in the neck to cut them into tiny little pieces to fit on the tabs. I currently use the same gel glue Chuck recommends (btw, if you dremel the jacket of the bottle off after you can't squeeze the side buttons anymore, you'll find that the glue is still about half full!) The gel set fairly quick but does give you a little bit of wiggle time. Strangely the glue in the bottle doesn't set. I've left the cap off overnight by accident a few times.

I've also used foam glue which worked very well as it tacks pretty quick but it does have a habit of warping on small tabs since it IS a wet glue. I've heard issues with sanding super glue as it's harder than bondo, but it didn't seem that bad with the gel glue.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 9, 2010, 7:25 PM - Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved??? #82

I did a thread on this, but no one answered:

When I print, sometimes I get numbers only, no outlines. Other times I get a solid black sheet of paper. It's happened with several pep files. I re-downloaded pep viewer just to be sure it didn't have a bug. Any thoughts? It happens seemingly at random, without me touching any settings.
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jun 9, 2010, 11:18 PM - Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved??? #83

cayman shen said: View Post

When I print, sometimes I get numbers only, no outlines. Other times I get a solid black sheet of paper. It's happened with several pep files. I re-downloaded pep viewer just to be sure it didn't have a bug. Any thoughts? It happens seemingly at random, without me touching any settings.
    It's probably your printer, try toggling the options in print and paper between vector print and bitmap print.
    From
    Victoria, BC
    Jun 9, 2010, 11:34 PM - Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved??? #84

I had this exact thing happen when I printed my IM bucket, I did exactly what was suggested and it worked like a charm.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 10, 2010, 4:48 AM - Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved??? #85

So in print options, change bitmap to vector? Thanks, I'll try it!
    From
    Edmonton
    Jun 10, 2010, 6:02 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #86

Also some .pdo files have a texture on the faces. For instance, I had a Magneto helmet that was red and purple in color and when I printed it out, all of the pieces were colored cause I have a color printer.

There is a button at the top that says "set materials to faces" that toggles the color on and off. If you have a black and white printer, that might be why all the pieces are black.
  12. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 10, 2010, 7:41 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #87

When I am finished with the Iron Man helmet and I have the seperate pieces; neck, face, etc.. Do you I glue them together at the seams and then resin/fiberglass?
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 10, 2010, 8:51 AM - Re: WHAT Is Pepakura, And How Do I Get Involved??? #88

Dancin_Fool said: View Post
    It's probably your printer, try toggling the options in print and paper between vector print and bitmap print.
    Bingo--THANK YOU!
  14. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 10, 2010, 10:47 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #89

Sometimes when i print, half the pdo will print just fine then nothing but black pages print, i wind up having to print to pdf to finish the printing, which is a PITA when id like to use my robo, has anyone had the full page of black printing problem?
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 10, 2010, 9:42 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #90

See my post above (82).

I burned through an ENTIRE EFFING INK CARTRIDGE trying to figure out this problem. What are you talking about print to PDF? I'm a computer know-nothing. The solution proposed above worked fine, but I also found that printing my pep files at work saved me a lot of aggravation

nachtinis said: View Post
    Sometimes when i print, half the pdo will print just fine then nothing but black pages print, i wind up having to print to pdf to finish the printing, which is a PITA when id like to use my robo, has anyone had the full page of black printing problem?
    From
    Colombia
    Jun 12, 2010, 8:41 AM - question #91

hi i wonder if someone can help me to find a femmale chest of iron woman?
    i will apreciatte and give you the credits.
    Thanks
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jun 12, 2010, 9:55 AM - Re: question #92

akasha2683 said: View Post
    hi i wonder if someone can help me to find a femmale chest of iron woman?
    i will apreciatte and give you the credits.
    Thanks
    DungBeetle was working on one but I'm not sure if he has completed it yet.
    From
    Colombia
    Jun 12, 2010, 12:34 PM - Re: question #93

thanks! i hope he has it!
  19. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 17, 2010, 9:54 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #94

Hi,
    I am printing out the neck portion of the IM pepakura file and when I do I get this popup:

"The size of the paper specified by Pepakura Designer is not the same as Printer Setting. Adjust Scale?"

Do I say yes and have it go ahead and print? I am afraid if I do it will reduce the size to fit the paper and the size will be incorrect.
  20. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 17, 2010, 12:05 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #95

Likely because you are printing A sized paper vs 8.5x11 or vice versa, It will try to scale the printing to your paper size being larger or smaller, I think there is a setting to change the papersize of the model itself but i forgot where it is.
    Jun 17, 2010, 4:02 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #96

Go to File --> Print and Paper Settings. You'll be able to specify paper size, parameters for the fold lines, and a few other widgets in there.

A4 is larger than US letter size. If you have a model that was unfolded for A4, you'll almost certainly have to spend a little time rearranging parts in the 2D window so they all fit on Letter. Conversely, most Letter-developed models fit just fine when you change them to print on A4.

Play with the settings, and use some regular printer paper to get everything adjusted so you're not wasting that valuable card stock.

Here's a screen shot of my settings window:

From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 20, 2010, 2:46 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #97

I know this is out there already, but I couldn't find it again:

If I wanted to seal a pepped piece so that it won't warp when painted, aqua-resined, whatever, what do I use? I want to make some things for my kids and let them help paint and assemble (we've been doing some really enjoyable father/son Iron Man and SW papercraft, though at 7 and 8 I have to do quite a bit of it). I can't see bothering with resin and all that for such a thing. Just seal the cardboard and paint. Any suggestions that I can grab at any old hardware store?
    Jun 20, 2010, 6:52 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #98

Regular old acrylic clear coat spray works pretty well. Just put it on in very light dusting coats to keep it from warping the paper and making the printer ink (if applicable) run.
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jun 20, 2010, 7:26 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #99

Thanks!
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jun 21, 2010, 12:27 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #100

I know this is out there already, but I couldn't find it again:

If I wanted to seal a pepped piece so that it won't warp when painted, aqua-resined, whatever, what do I use? I want to make some things for my kids and let them help paint and assemble (we've been doing some really enjoyable father/son Iron Man and SW papercraft, though at 7 and 8 I have to do quite a bit of it). I can't see bothering with resin and all that for such a thing. Just seal the cardboard and paint. Any suggestions that I can grab at any old hardware store?
    An alternative to using fibreglass which is kid safe is to use wood glue and cheesecloth. You can brush on the outside with wood glue and then wood glue with the cheese cloth on the inside. It's safe and a great cheap way to add some strength and durability to the prop/costume piece.