Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Belgium
    Jun 4, 2010, 5:42 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #51

Capn_Jack_Savvy said: View Post
    Where can you find Pepkura?

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-e.../download.html

Where can I find a free 3D Computer Graphic program called Blender?

http://www.blender.org/
    I would give you a link to my sticky 3d to pep tutorial but seems the 405th is down :/
    Jun 6, 2010, 9:18 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #52

If I were to set up a domain name and put up some sort of free file hosting, much like my image host but specifically for PDO/PDF/ZIP files, could I talk everyone into NOT using 4shared anymore?
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Jun 6, 2010, 9:40 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #53

Pilot said: View Post
    If I were to set up a domain name and put up some sort of free file hosting, much like my image host but specifically for PDO/PDF/ZIP files, could I talk everyone into NOT using 4shared anymore?

I doubt you would get EVERYONE to switch, but perhaps someplace where you could view a preview "on site" of the file you were about to download might be something I would go to instead. I personally have been d/l and/all pep files I can to make an archive as well for sharing with my friends, family and co-workers. If you do create such a place please send me a PM so I can check it out.
    Jun 6, 2010, 10:17 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #54

A preview function would be fantastic, but I don't think there's a way I could do that on the fly with PDO files...it'd really still have to be up to the creator or uploader to supply an appropriate image. Either that, or I'd have a second full-time job tracking uploads and making thumbnails.

I'll poke around and see what I can find by way of hosting scripts. The one I'm using for the image hosting is OK, but it doesn't preserve the original file name, which I think would be important to keep with something like this. I actually already have an appropriate domain name (because I was going to work on this anyway, even if nobody uses it ) so it's just a question of getting some software in place.

I'll drop you a note if and when I get something together, Klwl, if you'd like to help me test it out
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Jun 6, 2010, 10:24 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #55

Sure thing, drop me a line here or over at SIWDAT when things get rolling
  6. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 7, 2010, 1:35 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #56

http://www.zealot.com/forum/

They already have an upload library.
    [edit]
    You have to have a minimum of 10 posts on their forums in order to access the upload area.
    Last edited by nachtinis; Jun 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM.
    From
    South Sty
    Jun 7, 2010, 3:33 PM - Re: iron man pep question #57

TheNickFox said: View Post

On another note, people have requested a pepakura sub-forum, but I think we need a complete Iron Man Pep subforum.

There seems to be a million of these threads anymore.

-Nick
    +100 on that! My head is spinning trying to find/follow all the great builds happening!

Question: is there a way to do pep without using fiberglass or Bondo? I know the initial paper model needs to be strengthened, then smoothed - but isn't there something a little less toxic to use?

If no one has tried anything, I may experiment around and see if I find something. I guess it's all a matter of durability...
  8. Serve the Public Trust RPF Premium Member nachtinis's Avatar
    From
    Virginia, USA
    Jun 7, 2010, 4:43 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #58

Well if all safety precautions are taken and the chemicals are used properly, they can quite SAFELY be used, over and over again.

With that being said, yes you can use alternative fillers and hardeners on your pieces.

Without disparaging those other chemicals, the fiberglass/bondo/resin/glaze techniques offer quick turnaround in the curing of the chemical among the benefits.

This quick turnaround saves time but also has an added bonus in that, since we are working with paper, the less time the hardening chemicals stay liquid, the better.
    Paper tends to soak up whatever you put on it and can often become weak.

So while white glue, plaster, latex, and regular "tape" might be the way go if you really arent going to use the chemical stuff.
  9. themanwoaname is offline themanwoaname
    Jun 7, 2010, 5:46 PM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #59

i third a pep forum so it can move all the ironman pep builds there, so i can skip over them and read the other cool pep projects that are going on.

im still not entirely sure its something i want to try yet, but i would like to watch a few people's projects move along.
  10. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Jun 7, 2010, 5:48 PM - Re: iron man pep question #60

WarPig said: View Post
    Question: is there a way to do pep without using fiberglass or Bondo? I know the initial paper model needs to be strengthened, then smoothed - but isn't there something a little less toxic to use?
    Aquaresin and Aquaglass are the main nontoxic solutions I hear, but some people have had great results using the simplest solution of all: Paper Maché.

Good luck.

-Nick
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Jun 7, 2010, 8:12 PM - Re: iron man pep question #61

TheNickFox said: View Post
    Aquaresin and Aquaglass are the main nontoxic solutions I hear, but some people have had great results using the simplest solution of all: Paper Maché.

Good luck.

-Nick
    I've used aquaresin by itself and it is quite brittle, however I haven't used it in conjunction with any aquaglass or whatever it is.
  12. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 8, 2010, 1:45 AM - What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #62

For my first go at a pepakura iron man helmet (pic below) I used super glue to attach all the parts. I'd never done anything like this before but certainly came across two major issues with super glue:

1. You get zero window of opportunity for lining up the parts - it's really go to be first time luck to get it right - which I didn't on every part.

2. It's too easy to glue the bits to your hand!!

What's the best type of glue to use when pepping? I want something that gives you more chance to line up the numbers before setting for good.

Is PVA glue worth a go? I did read that a hot glue gun is good although what are the best options?

Any suggestions welcome. I'm in the process of cutting out my second go at iron man so will use the different glue for that.

From
    California
    Jun 8, 2010, 1:53 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #63

Using Super Glue Gel instead of the regular stuff gives you a longer window to align the parts. It's really not much more than a few seconds, but it's almost all I use due to its advantages.

When I don't feel like getting headaches from constant close proximity to the fumes, I've used PVA glue. It takes a while longer to dry, but you can minimize the dry time (and paper warping) by using a small brush to apply glue to the tabs as opposed to squirting it right out of the bottle.

One of the cool things about PVA glue is that you can brush it onto your finished Pep in thin layers for quick reinforcement (to ensure sizing, working joints and all that jazz) without dealing with resin until you're sure the file works.
    From
    manila, philippines
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:08 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #64

we don't use glue. we use scotch tapes.
    From
    Canada
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:09 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #65

I cut out all the pieces first then put it together with hot glue. if you mess up, you just use the tip of the glue gun to carefully melt the glue to loosen the 2 tabs.

izabel said: View Post
    we don't use glue. we use scotch tapes.
    yeah but you guys don't resin, if you did you'd be sorry Iza lol
    From
    Seattle, WA
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:16 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #66

STEALTH said: View Post
    I cut out all the pieces first then put it together with hot glue. if you mess up, you just use the tip of the glue gun to carefully melt the glue to loosen the 2 tabs.

I think she is joking, but she might not be...where am I?

BadBoy, check the sticky http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87056
    Last edited by Hamsterstyle; Jun 8, 2010 at 2:22 AM.
    From
    manila, philippines
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:32 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #67

Hamsterstyle said: View Post
    I think she is joking, but she might not be...where am I?

BadBoy, check the sticky http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=87056
    no. i'm not joking. i'll take a picture this weekend and show you.
    From
    manila, philippines
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:33 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #68

bwahahaha. but we can. still we will use scotch tape.

and we don't use cardstock/boards. we can print & build it in scratch papers.
    From
    Hamilton/on/canada
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:41 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #69

i use this http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

or hot glue depending on what im building, i find the loctite takes longer to bond but keeps the flaps nice and flat.
    the hot glue tends to keep it shape much better which is great in some of those corner pieces.
    From
    Canada
    Jun 8, 2010, 2:47 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #70

izabel said: View Post
    bwahahaha. but we can. still we will use scotch tape.

and we don't use cardstock/boards. we can print & build it in scratch papers.
    yeah you guys transfer to foam, no need for cardstock which is cool

I'm sure this thread is about traditional use of pepakura for armor building.
    From
    manila, philippines
    Jun 8, 2010, 4:44 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #71

yeah you guys transfer to foam, no need for cardstock which is cool

I'm sure this thread is about traditional use of pepakura for armor building.
    i know. i'm messing with you guys. i'm sure they go wondering about us using scotch tape. hahaha!
    From
    Orange, CA
    Jun 8, 2010, 5:29 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #72

I've never understood why anybody uses anything else when white Elmer's glue is perfect for pepping. You get plenty of time to line up your tabs, there are no fumes, and you can't glue your hands together.
    From
    California
    Jun 8, 2010, 7:44 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #73

Risu said: View Post
    I've never understood why anybody uses anything else when white Elmer's glue is perfect for pepping. You get plenty of time to line up your tabs, there are no fumes, and you can't glue your hands together.
    There are a couple of reasons. One is dry time. I find it really frustrating to begin connecting two assemblies together only to find that a couple of the tabs on one of them isn't fully dry and I suddenly have to rebuild half of that part.

And another good reason is warping. A miniscule amount of PVA glue will wrinkle even 110lb cardstock (as I've recently discovered) before it dries... not very good for parts intended to be symmetrical or mechanically precise.

If it weren't for the fumes, I'd stick exclusively with Super Glue Gel.
    From
    Orange, CA
    Jun 8, 2010, 7:59 AM - Re: The PEPAKURA resource and tech question thread - GO HERE FIRST! #74

I never thought of that, I just developed techniques to prevent the wrinkling, and my pepping probably takes a lot longer than those who use super glue.
  25. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 8, 2010, 8:19 AM - Re: What sort of glue do you guys use for pepping?? #75

Sounds to me like PVA glue brushed on (to avoid warping) is the way forward for me. I also like the sound of a few thin coats of PVA on the finished product for hardening etc.

Not sure about the scotch tape method btw.

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Neon Sentry said: View Post
    Using Super Glue Gel instead of the regular stuff gives you a longer window to align the parts. It's really not much more than a few seconds, but it's almost all I use due to its advantages.

When I don't feel like getting headaches from constant close proximity to the fumes, I've used PVA glue. It takes a while longer to dry, but you can minimize the dry time (and paper warping) by using a small brush to apply glue to the tabs as opposed to squirting it right out of the bottle.

One of the cool things about PVA glue is that you can brush it onto your finished Pep in thin layers for quick reinforcement (to ensure sizing, working joints and all that jazz) without dealing with resin until you're sure the file works.