Dress form for perfect fit costuming!!

shanclaw

So recently I stumbled upon some sites where people have made dress forms out of duct tape and paper adhesive packaging tape. For those who don't know, a dress form is basically a static or adjustable mannequin torso that people use to size up and make clothing with. I thought it would be a great asset for costumers. It took me the weekend, and its a little lumpy but it will work out just fine. Here's what I used:

- A roll of paper packaging tape I got at Staples for I think 8 bucks
- A form fitted shirt with collar. I used a under armor shirt that I got for like 10 bucks. Its gonna get cut.
- Some expanding insulating foam I picked up at various home improvement stores. They run between 3 to 5 dollars a can. I ended up using six cans.
- And some lumber strips for the stand. You can use whatever you want for the stand. I decided to build mine.
- Also someone willing to put packaging tape all over your torso. My brother was willing.

I'm not going to go into detail because its pretty self explanatory. I did use some left over styrofoam blocks I had to put in the torso so I didn't end up using thirty cans of foam on the thing. Also you can find how to make this on instructables.com and some youtube videos. I didn't care to be redundant. Here's the progress and the result.

SANY0334.jpg

SANY0337.jpg

SANY0339.jpg

SANY0340.jpg

SANY0343.jpg

SANY0344.jpg

SANY0345.jpg

Hope this was helpful. Have a good week.

ive been wanting to do one of my whole body, but i havent had the time to run to goodwill for clothes, get duct tape, and find someone comfortable enough to tape me down and i can trust to cut me out.

you could get away with using sweats too for this project.

How did you keep the foam from warping the shape? I made a duct tape one and stuffed it with pillow stuffing. I would imagine the expanding foam trying to burst the shape open...

These are often really useful to have around, even just for storing costumes on. But I will say, it doesn't handle squishy body parts well at all. I made a "duct tape dummy" (same concept) years ago, but since I'm rather large busted (and small everywhere else), my chest got compressed just from the pressure of the duct tape. My poor dummy couldn't wear any of my clothes! But for less squishy people, the can be quite awesome. ;)

How did you keep the foam from warping the shape? I made a duct tape one and stuffed it with pillow stuffing. I would imagine the expanding foam trying to burst the shape open...

You need to use the 2K non-expanding foam. It´s a bit more expensive, but less expansive :p

I made a duct tape mannequin for myself about two years ago, and used the cheap tape. After having it in the attic for two years the tape starts to peel off in places. No biggie, but I guess investing in good tape might have helped ;)

Just a thought, but if you're using paper tape, could you use some fiberglass resin on the outside in one or two layers to significantly stiffen this up before you fill it?

Hmmm, might just have to give this a try.

These are wonderful utilities for the home costumer and a great alternative to a $700 professional form. I do recommend the paper tape over the duct tape. The paper tape is more resilient and DUCT TAPE STRETCHES over time. I made mine from duct tape 2 years ago and its now 2 sizes larger than when I made it.

The paper tape is fairly stiff and resilient and will hold its own shape without the foam.

These are often really useful to have around, even just for storing costumes on. But I will say, it doesn't handle squishy body parts well at all. I made a "duct tape dummy" (same concept) years ago, but since I'm rather large busted (and small everywhere else), my chest got compressed just from the pressure of the duct tape. My poor dummy couldn't wear any of my clothes! But for less squishy people, the can be quite awesome. ;)

There's a trick to it. Its in criss-crossing your tape around the bust so you are working with your shape without compressing it.

Just a thought, but if you're using paper tape, could you use some fiberglass resin on the outside in one or two layers to significantly stiffen this up before you fill it?

Hmmm, might just have to give this a try.

The fiberglass would be self-defeating. You do not want a rock-hard form. You want to be able to stick pins in it.

What about if you want to use the form for sculpting armor on? Would duct tape work fine for that and would you need to stiffen any more than usual or at all?

Ha That cursed fly was bothering me the whole time I was working on it. It got what it deserved. To make it more rigid I thought of using some epoxy to harden it. Right now its about as tough as paper mache but reinforced with foam. For my use I'm using it as a guide reference for plastic plate armor. So it's not going to get as much wear and tear as if other costumers were to use it. This way was recommended over the duct tape because if you were to put pins in it, the adhesive from the duct tape would stick to it. As for the VHS shelf, oh boy...you should see my dvd collection. Its a mess. Lets just say I think I own a coffee table.

There's a trick to it. Its in criss-crossing your tape around the bust so you are working with your shape without compressing it.

Yeah, did that. I think that would work for a lot of people. But I wear a 28J bra size (11" difference between bust and underbust), and even with the criss-crossing I got compressed extremely. I might have been taped in too tight (my taper was a first timer, as was I), but following the directions online, including the criss-cross pattern at the chest, resulted in an unusable form for me. If I were to do it again, I would use something other than duct tape (the paper tape has potential) and/or make sure it isn't pulled tight across the chest, and make sure the underbust was extremely well fitted, and then carefully overlay on the bust, without pulling tight at all.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw it out there, in case anyone who is facing a similarly odd body shape is thinking about doing this. Squishiness of any sort can be overly compressed with the base method, so it's just something to be aware of.

Yeah, did that. I think that would work for a lot of people. But I wear a 28J bra size (11" difference between bust and underbust)

If you had just left it at 28J, you would have been fine, but with the parenthetical explaining the size, methinks you'll be getting a few PM's soon :p

even with the criss-crossing I got compressed extremely. I might have been taped in too tight (my taper was a first timer, as was I), but following the directions online, including the criss-cross pattern at the chest, resulted in an unusable form for me. If I were to do it again, I would use something other than duct tape (the paper tape has potential) and/or make sure it isn't pulled tight across the chest, and make sure the underbust was extremely well fitted, and then carefully overlay on the bust, without pulling tight at all.

If you do it again, try to think about using your first few layers to essentially create a slightly loose bra out of tape. The use further layers to reinforce the support and define the shape, before using your outer layers to lock it all in place. Basically start loose, and got a bit tighter with each layer. Also be very careful to follow the curvature of your body rather than creating the "shortest distance between two points." That will inevitably lead to flattening, and while not a huge deal for someone with B's or C's with J's a little extra time will make sure that everything fits you perfectly. And knowing the members here, I'm sure you could find someone who'd love to take the extra time to do that for you...sorry, I had to. :lol

-Nick

Yeah, did that. I think that would work for a lot of people. But I wear a 28J bra size (11" difference between bust and underbust), and even with the criss-crossing I got compressed extremely. I might have been taped in too tight (my taper was a first timer, as was I), but following the directions online, including the criss-cross pattern at the chest, resulted in an unusable form for me. If I were to do it again, I would use something other than duct tape (the paper tape has potential) and/or make sure it isn't pulled tight across the chest, and make sure the underbust was extremely well fitted, and then carefully overlay on the bust, without pulling tight at all.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw it out there, in case anyone who is facing a similarly odd body shape is thinking about doing this. Squishiness of any sort can be overly compressed with the base method, so it's just something to be aware of.

Yikes!!! :eek Your poor, poor back...

That's a big difference alright. Good suggestions from TheNickFox already. The Bra suggestion isn't bad either, though I do realize how pricey they are in that size range and destroying one is usually off the table. I did happen to pick up one to destroy at WalMart of all places, in G for a show I designed a couple months back. Only set me back $10.00. Not sure how high the cup sizes go, but at that price they are definitely disposable. And probably not good for much else.

But yes. A very gentle criss-cross as Fox suggested might help. Also using smaller, narrower strips. Though at that size I would worry about the t-shirt interfering. Might require some artful cutting of the shirt to let the bra provide most of the bust coverage. If you know anyone good with casting or fabric manipulation, they might be the better person to help tape you.

Definitely going to be a challenge if you choose to give it another go but I don't think its impossible.

So I take it this method is very good at keeping your proportions and shape with little to no distortion? For guys anyway....sorry, glasscannon!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back