Ladies can be Iron Man too (everything but the shoulders, pg 35)

Laamberry

Jan 26.
ironmanprogressmain.jpg

jan 6, makin' progress
ironmang.jpg

::EDIT Jan 1, 2012:: new year, brand new helmet!

You guessed it, MORE Iron Man clogging up the forums :] I'm more a sewing person so this has been a completely new experience but a very fun one so far! I hope that by posting here it'll motivate me to finish this up..sorry for what seems like pics of the same thing over and over :wacko

First I made a mock-up version of the sharkhead/dungbeetle pepakura file in 60 lb cards stock to see if it would fit and to get a little practice in
pep1-1.jpg

pep2.jpg

and then pepped the real deal with 110 lb cardstock
pep3.jpg

Yesterday I resined it...were two coats enough? It doesn't look as -yellow- as the other ones I've seen. Is that bad?
pep4.jpg

and today i'm fiberglassing the inside. So far it's been the most difficult step...I can't seem to get it to lay against the inside as flushly as I would like.
But I did discover that if the resin soaks through your gloves you become spiderman for a few hours and stick to EVERYTHING.
pep5.jpg

more to come!!

Last edited:
Re: Ladies can be Iron Man too (kinda pic heavy)

wow, thats a very clean job! I've done a few pieces in pep and that kicks my ass lol. For fiberglassing you should use small pieces and you really have to jab it with the brush to get it flat. After its in use a clean brush to stop out any bridging its a pain but it will work.

great start, you're gonna make a sexy Iron Man, and I agree with darth. It can be tricky but jabbing/poking it in is the best thing. Ive used angle brushes as well in the past

I was gonna call you Iron Woman but then it just sounds like I'm telling you to go do the ironing or something. Sounds almost a little sexist lol.

Either way, I agree with .:MirrorminD:.

Also, both the mock up and the final pepped version look very clean. Nice folds and a great result. Doesn't look too big for your head either which is always a good thing. Good job. Looking forward to any other progress on this. :D

wow, thats a very clean job! I've done a few pieces in pep and that kicks my ass lol. For fiberglassing you should use small pieces and you really have to jab it with the brush to get it flat. After its in use a clean brush to stop out any bridging its a pain but it will work.

hey thanks for the tip! On a scale of one to ten, how screwed am I if it isn't perfect...? A lot of it has already reached the point of no return and I hate for the whole thing to be ruined or something like that.

great start, you're gonna make a sexy Iron Man, and I agree with darth. It can be tricky but jabbing/poking it in is the best thing. Ive used angle brushes as well in the past

thank you <3

nice work.
You got a link to the file?
thanks

The 405th is currently down for me but i'll post it on here ASAP :] If memory serves, somebody actually posted an even more detailed version of the same base pep on here just a few days ago...I'll look for it.

I was gonna call you Iron Woman but then it just sounds like I'm telling you to go do the ironing or something. Sounds almost a little sexist lol.

Either way, I agree with .:MirrorminD:.

Also, both the mock up and the final pepped version look very clean. Nice folds and a great result. Doesn't look too big for your head either which is always a good thing. Good job. Looking forward to any other progress on this. :D
and thank you!!

A FANTASTIC to se females embarking the Ironman world. Looks like your of to a great start. Allot of people willing to help. It would be fantastic to have you join us at www.siwdat.com as well and share your progress also allot of nice reffrence photos.

Are you going to do a female version ?

A FANTASTIC to se females embarking the Ironman world. Looks like your of to a great start. Allot of people willing to help. It would be fantastic to have you join us at www.siwdat.com as well and share your progress also allot of nice reffrence photos.

Are you going to do a female version ?

No female version, just the good ol' mark 4 :D and I'll certainly join the site, sounds like fun!

hey thanks for the tip! On a scale of one to ten, how screwed am I if it isn't perfect...? A lot of it has already reached the point of no return and I hate for the whole thing to be ruined or something like that.

How bad is it? If you have a dremel you can grind down any of the high spots with a sanding drum and then do a patch on them.

How bad is it? If you have a dremel you can grind down any of the high spots with a sanding drum and then do a patch on them.

Honestly theres just one really awful air bubble at the joint between the face plate and top of the helmet that killing me. Thanks again for the great advice, i'll take the dremel to it tomorrow; I sort of wonder if it would be easier to fix once I've dremeled out the faceplate later down the road though, since it's right on that seam?

Sure that would work as well, as long as its stiff enough to take the abuse, just finish the glassing then fix it when its all seperated.

No problem, i'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I wish I had your skill with pep.

That looks really nice. I wish I was as good at pepping as you, because well :sick:eek:sick

And btw, it looks youll be a purdy iron (wo)man

Great work! I think a female version of the Mark III would be amazing. Built to look just like the Stark version, but with proportions more like a woman.

Similiar to how a women's tee is cut different from a men's tee, in iron suit form. You'd be a big hit at any event if you stood out that way!

Either way, nice work!

Wow, I'm so jealous! I'm a girl too and would love to do something like that (I adore the Iron Man films), but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I don't really know what Pepakura is or how I'd do it and I haven't the faintest idea where to start with resins and stuff. Looks like I'm destined to sit and admire talented people from afar :lol
I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back