Ladies can be Iron Man too (everything but the shoulders, pg 35)

Re: Ladies can be Iron Man too (kinda pic heavy)

Wow great work on this! I agree with Chiro, my pep files didn't come out as nice either :lol Keep us updated!! :)

Can't wait to see more.

I'm working on a female chest/backplate if you are interested.
pepperpottschest.jpg
Nooo. Though it's nice. The androgynous shape of Iron Man is more interesting than something that is clearly male or female, imo... and ruins the fun when it's revealed that it's a girl inside. Similar gripe with female Stormtrooper armor. Armor is not supposed to be gender specific.

Sorry if I'm out of line.

Nooo. Though it's nice. The androgynous shape of Iron Man is more interesting than something that is clearly male or female, imo... and ruins the fun when it's revealed that it's a girl inside. Similar gripe with female Stormtrooper armor. Armor is not supposed to be gender specific.

Sorry if I'm out of line.

Androgynous? Where the heck´s the Iron Man armour androgynous (except maybe around the crotch area, thankfully). The whole frame screams "male".

@ Dungbeetle: Huh, any chance you could "stylize" the chest a bit more? It is way too obvious what´s goin on there, and to be frank, it looks like an iron ... bra... :love

Back on topic, if female armour is just scaled correctly, I am pretty sure that it will translate nicely, i.e. more slender arms and leg armour.

If you make it clearly look like female armor, be aware that you will receive a lot more attention....some of it negative. I've seen many women wear the female trooper armor and although it's cool, I have seen a lot of negativity from it unfortunately

We have got female prop-makers in this forum????

We should have open registration more frequently. :lol

Did you have to scale the helmet down to fit your head? It looks really well scaled for you. All too many times you see little bodies with "bobblehead" like helmets.

Also are you going for a true female version or just a girl in an Iron Man suit?

Androgynous? Where the heck´s the Iron Man armour androgynous (except maybe around the crotch area, thankfully). The whole frame screams "male".

@ Dungbeetle: Huh, any chance you could "stylize" the chest a bit more? It is way too obvious what´s goin on there, and to be frank, it looks like an iron ... bra... :love

Back on topic, if female armour is just scaled correctly, I am pretty sure that it will translate nicely, i.e. more slender arms and leg armour.
Exactly. I wouldn't for a second call the Iron Man suit 'androgynus.' The hulking lats, oversized shoulders, and broad, flat chest are all very male characteristics; the suit is built like a body builder.

I think slimming down the back and shoulders, and sizing down the arms and legs in proportion would make a nice looking female suit. Also, I would keep the chest as rigid looking as possible. Perhaps angle the male chest design outwards at a slope that is more natural to the female shape, then angle it back in under the bust. I don't think seperating the chest piece in a two-cup design like a bra would be the best look.

Maybe i'll try to sketch up something just to satisfy my own curiosity.

This all makes perfect sense. Why do you think they make womens "one a day plus IRON" pills? (crickets chirping) I know....I know.....that was stupid. Sorry!

See, I love the whole "Samus Aran" surprise thing when she takes off her helmet and people realize that it's Pepper in the suit....

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see more progress pics :)

pepperpottschest.jpg

cool. :D

We have got female prop-makers in this forum????

We should have open registration more frequently. :lol

of course there is. we don't want all the guys have all the fun. :angel

I only joined to pick up guys.
:lol

nyahahahah! :lol

This all makes perfect sense. Why do you think they make womens "one a day plus IRON" pills? (crickets chirping) I know....I know.....that was stupid. Sorry!

i did not get that. :confused :lol

Sorry for the recent inactivity (vacation will do that to you) and thanks to everyone who chimed in with tips and comments!

i do peps. but we have a different process. we use them as patterns and trace them on rubber.not the fiberglassing/casting kind you guys do. but i do the paper build first so we may see how it actually looks like then what needs to be adjusted.

it's damn hard especially when the parts are too small. :lol. but when we cut them in rubber it's like 5=1. :angel

that's a brilliant idea! D:

pepperpottschest.jpg

I really really do love your work, Dung0beetle, and while this looks awesome I think I'm going to tackle the normal male build for now :] thank you though!

Did you have to scale the helmet down to fit your head? It looks really well scaled for you. All too many times you see little bodies with "bobblehead" like helmets.

Also are you going for a true female version or just a girl in an Iron Man suit?

I didn't have to scale it at all, luckily. Maybe I just have a big head lol? And I'm making the normal mark III

In OTHER news, I've moved on to body filler work and should have some pics up shortly (once I've got full time access to a computer again). Does anyone have any awesome bondo/sanding tips?

Does anyone have any awesome bondo/sanding tips?

Just the basics: Mouse sander, dremel, varying grits of sandpaper, files for details, and LOTS of time.

If your current work is any indication though, you shouldn't have too much trouble with bondo/sanding.

Good luck, can't wait to see how it all turns out.

-Nick

The first time I sat down to bondo something, I was quite lucky and had a friend who has built an R2 unit and a second droid by my side. Aside from a very nice mouse sander and Popsicle sticks, we just sat outside on the porch and got down and dirty with sanding once the bondo had dried. As TheNickFox said, it was very time consuming, and very dirty.

Wear clothing you're not partial to!

Laamberry: Any new updates? Wondering how your fibreglassing went..

@dungbeetle: just PMed you about your armour design. are youing to start a thread on that one soon?

Laamberry: Any new updates? Wondering how your fibreglassing went..

@dungbeetle: just PMed you about your armour design. are youing to start a thread on that one soon?
I'm going to put it in my pepakura thread, I don't want to make people have to search all over for it.

Chiming in with a bondo tip. Put it on carefully :)

That sounds silly, but really, I've seen people slop on a bucket of bondo in a minute to keep it from hardening, then have to sand 3/4 of it off to get it smooth.

If you work in small amounts you can spend more time smoothing it out. The better a job you do putting the mud on, the less work you do later fixing it later. Plus, sanding is MUCH messier than spreading on the un-tasty cake frosting. :)

Chiming in with a bondo tip. Put it on carefully :)

That sounds silly, but really, I've seen people slop on a bucket of bondo in a minute to keep it from hardening, then have to sand 3/4 of it off to get it smooth.

If you work in small amounts you can spend more time smoothing it out. The better a job you do putting the mud on, the less work you do later fixing it later. Plus, sanding is MUCH messier than spreading on the un-tasty cake frosting. :)
Haha, it does look like frosting

thanks for the tips you guys <3

uhhg it's been a long day of sanding and I don't really have a ton to show for it; I decided to do it part by part so I wouldn't get overwhelmed and gloop body filler everywhere but I still ended up using a TON of the stuff. Right now my primary focus is refining this darn edge..

oh and, like an idiot, I accidentally covered up the line where the faceplate meets the main body. :wacko it shouldn't be anything too difficult to fix though.

ironmanprogo2.jpg

on a related note, I just got my hands on a detail sander maybe two hours ago or so and man does it make it a lot easier! Funnily enough, now that I've dyed my hair, I seem to have an accidental color theme going on with DeWalt today...

IRONMANPROGODEUCE-1.jpg

sorry for shoddy pics, ect. these were taken on the fly D:

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back