Super Mario Bros 1:1 Goomba Bust paintup

Howlrunner

Sr Member
So along with the Bob-Omb, and Devo Gun, this is the other SMB piece that I've been working on (and definitely my favourite!). I loved the goomba designs in the movie as soon as I saw them (in fact, they're my favourite thing about the whole movie), so when I saw this resin bust come up, I just had to add it to my collection.

This bust was either cast from the original movie mold or is cast from a mold taken of a screen-used goomba head (not sure exactly which) so the detail is incredible.

Here it was with the clean-up work done and the eyes and mouth cut out:

GoombaBust1.jpg

And here's the paint-job I was aiming for (there were different paint schemes used on each of the 4 goomba with this particular style of head):

BadGoomba1.jpg

And here's my finished head (the eyes are glass and I sculpted the palettes and teeth for the inside of the mouth):

GoombaBust2-1.jpg

GoombaBust3.jpg

GoombaBust4.jpg

GoombaBust5.jpg

GoombaBust6.jpg

GoombaBust7.jpg

I have chicken wire to build a form for the shoulders and upper torso (since the shoulders are a big part of the character), but getting hold of the correct fabric to make the shirt is a real pain. Will update when/if I get the upper torso done.

And next on the block (when he arrives), will be Toad. :):thumbsup

goombatoadfront.jpg

Oh, sweet *****, that is one handsome Goomba. Amazing paint work, truly amazing. And the glass eyes are wicked. King Koopa would be proud.

Thanks. :)

It's reptilian colour schemes like this that make me really wish I had an airbrush. Doing the spots took ages to get right with a brush - being able to spray they on would have made them so much easier.

Wait, you don't have an airbrush - do honestly do this with a normal brush???

I've just fallen off my seat!!! Respect H, total respect!!!

Wait, you don't have an airbrush - do honestly do this with a normal brush???

I've just fallen off my seat!!! Respect H, total respect!!!

yeah real brush work is a lost art , everyone jumps to the simpler and quicker airbrush ( once you know what your doimg)

looks great for sure.

Yeah, I started off with Halcyon Aliens model kits when I was younger and someone in a local model shop told me about the techniques of drybrushing and doing washes. I've just used those methods ever since.

In fact, here's the very brush I painted this bust (and the Mars Attacks Martian, and a lot of other busts) with:

GrottyBrush.jpg

I think I may need to buy myself a new paintbrush! :lol

Yeah that is such an incredible job you did! I am very impressed!

If these were being offered finished like that, I would be extremely tempted to get one for my SMB collection!

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Ahahaha that poor paintbrush! I say a job well done deserves the reward of some fresh tools. XD (although worn out brushes are great for certain effects!)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back