Obscure fighter in Ralph McQuarrie production painting

that isn't a new fighter type, all that is, is an a-wing concept at a slightly banked angle from the others in the picture.

fine, do a spin on it if you want, but I'm telling ya, it's an a-wing

:lol:thumbsup I know it's a A-wing that's why I am making it!!
I like this concept the best out of all of them I have seen, it's not the blue one with the white arrow on the hull, and it's not the short stubby one
seen with the rounded stabilizers. It's the slickest looking one of them all
to me.:thumbsup

Like I said in my first post I thought it was in the evolutionary line up of the A-wing as far as concepts.

Last edited:
ralph_8.jpg

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know what was there first, the chicken or the egg?
Point is: there is a concept drawing for an A-wing and the actual A-wing model matches the drawing AND at the same time looks like it was made from two top fuselage halves of an F14 Tomcat with two space shuttle boosters stuck in the back.

I remember seeing concept drawings of Episode 1 ships that featured kit-bashed parts. Does not make sense to me.

Tim

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know what was there first, the chicken or the egg?
Point is: there is a concept drawing for an A-wing and the actual A-wing model matches the drawing AND at the same time looks like it was made from two top fuselage halves of an F14 Tomcat with two space shuttle boosters stuck in the back.

I remember seeing concept drawings of Episode 1 ships that featured kit-bashed parts. Does not make sense to me.

Tim

JW Rinzler's "The Making of Star Wars" has great insight, and is a must have reference.

I am not sure about the A-Wing, but..

Page 35 - "Lucas worked with Cantwell as he did with McQuarrie, providing reference material, verbal descriptions, and his own sketches. Work with the model maker went more slowly, but as Lucas signed off on approved spacecraft, McQuarrie incorporated them into his paintings."

Page 71 - "Johnston's early sketch was based on Cantwell's model for the rebel ship (below right); an alternate Cantwell prototype had more rocket boosters (below left), and those were incorporated into a later sketch by Johnston of the pirate ship (bottom right), and into a painting by McQuarrie (opposite, below)."

This is looking great so far! A-Wings have always been one of my favorite Star Wars ships. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back