Uncharted 2 belt buckle

I've already ordered one. Shapeways production cost is approximately $70 and I will add 10 bucks when I put it in the shop. I'll post some pictures so you can see if it's worth or not.

80 total? I don't think I can swing that. Hell, I wouldn't swing even 40. It's not that I'm not grateful for the opportunity to get one, because I know how much research and hard work went into it. But when I can get the first and the third for 20 or less, it's hard for me to justify more than double for just one buckle.

But still, it'll be nice to know that one IS out there to buy, finally!:thumbsup

I was thinking something like this (I did this quick so please excuse the accuracy)
photo-1.jpg

This is a 3/4 view and and the cutaway with red lines indicate the holes for the screws.

I like that. :thumbsup The only problem I see with that design is the "Rising Sun" couldn't be sunk in because then it wouldn't lay flat against the buckle.

Another problem, for me at least , would be drilling the holes because that's going to be metal and there's the potential for screwing things up badly.

If the "coin" option is still viable, thru shapeways or some other way, I'd more more than happy buying the coin and then the "coin slot" buckle separately. I know it won't be a perfect match, but it seems like the whole Uncharted outfit is a prime example of "going with what works".

Just FYI, the eBay link Pitfall Harry posted a few pages back to the buckles is like 7 bucks, silver and black, and looks the part to a T. All that's needed is the 39mm coin of the rising sun.

I'd go for someone making just the coin as long as they don't charge an ungodly amount for it.

I'd prefer finding a buckle without the little spheres surrounding the coin slot but at this point it's really not that big of a deal if it saves me spending a ton of cash. I mean really who's going to even notice anyway?

Indiana Jones has a pretty distinct look but yet the general public seems to boil it down to a guy carrying a whip, wearing a brown jacket and hat. What the "general public" recognizes as an Indiana Jones outfit makes me cringe.

Taking THAT into account then you'll be darn lucky if anyone even knows who you are to begin with if you're wearing Drake's gear. I mean to anyone remotely familar with the games Nate's a guy with a shoulder holster, black hair and wears a ring around his neck. As of this moment I think Nate's most "recognizable look" is his desert outfit from Uncharted 3.

Long story short....If you show up somewhere wearing his Uncharted 2 outfit and you've bought the buckle with the spheres and someone says the frame is supposed to be smooth.....quote Nate and tell them "I'll kick you to sleep!" and then proceed to do so. :)

I'd go for someone making just the coin as long as they don't charge an ungodly amount for it.

I'd prefer finding a buckle without the little spheres surrounding the coin slot but at this point it's really not that big of a deal if it saves me spending a ton of cash. I mean really who's going to even notice anyway?

Indiana Jones has a pretty distinct look but yet the general public seems to boil it down to a guy carrying a whip, wearing a brown jacket and hat. What the "general public" recognizes as an Indiana Jones outfit makes me cringe.

Taking THAT into account then you'll be darn lucky if anyone even knows who you are to begin with if you're wearing Drake's gear. I mean to anyone remotely familar with the games Nate's a guy with a shoulder holster, black hair and wears a ring around his neck. As of this moment I think Nate's most "recognizable look" is his desert outfit from Uncharted 3.

Long story short....If you show up somewhere wearing his Uncharted 2 outfit and you've bought the buckle with the spheres and someone says the frame is supposed to be smooth.....quote Nate and tell them "I'll kick you to sleep!" and then proceed to do so. :)

Gotta agree with you on this one. The people in everyday life are EXTREMELY forgiving if you even look semi-close to Indiana Jones. Brown jacket and a fedora? HEY! You're Indiana Jones! Wested and a Downtowner? HEY! You're Indiana Jones! I'm only slightly exaggerating, but I agree wholeheartedly.

As for Nate Drake, his Uncharted 3 desert outfit would be the most recognizable, if only for marketing efforts and Subway. It's too bad, because so many of his Among Thieves accessories are just TOO cool, and we're JUST now figuring them out(like this buckle, and Leatherworkers hip pouch)!

As for this build, is someone doing the coin for less than 20? Figured I'd ask... :cheers

I have to agree. I was at the local comiccon earlier and saw several half-assed costumes. I saw a few gems too but of the two Indys I saw, the better one was still terribly inaccurate. Not to mention that the guy might have weighed all of eighty pounds.
I went in my Uncharted 2 outfit. Got a few guys to totally geek out and take pics with me.
There were a few VERY good TKs and mandos there and I met one of our own at the 501st table.
There was a confused Doctor Who guy who was dressed (as far as I can tell) as EVERY Doctor. O_O

I think before talking about money, we have to come up with something adequate. Can not state about a shapeways version but the only tricky thing will be the finishing. The coin has to fit to the buckle. With all of the different buckles in silver, gold, brass, bi-color, shiny etc. already discussed here, it may be that we need different versions. Or prepare a blank that everyone can modify as desired - the cheapest way for sure.

For the buckle I ordered, I will also prepare a bezel without spheres around it. If the distance between the screws is different between different versions also here it may not fit with other buckles.

As soon as my buckle is here I will post some specs and pictures...

I think before talking about money, we have to come up with something adequate. Can not state about a shapeways version but the only tricky thing will be the finishing. The coin has to fit to the buckle. With all of the different buckles in silver, gold, brass, bi-color, shiny etc. already discussed here, it may be that we need different versions. Or prepare a blank that everyone can modify as desired - the cheapest way for sure.

For the buckle I ordered, I will also prepare a bezel without spheres around it. If the distance between the screws is different between different versions also here it may not fit with other buckles.

As soon as my buckle is here I will post some specs and pictures...

Sounds great! Looking forward to what you'll be able to whip up.:thumbsup

Can't you offer them in different metals?
I seem to remember that Shapeways makes their products as they are ordered, so there's no wasted money on unused stock.

I can totally understand that, I'd have to say though that I'm collecting this stuff for ME, not for others to look at and guess who I'm dressing up as. For me it's the kick that comes with having something that is extremely close or exactly the same as on screen. I don't care if people won't notice it, because I'll know that's it's accurate.

$100+ is extreme for a belt buckle though and I definitely don't feel this way about every prop I purchase, a Sideshow Hovitos idol is good enough for me, for some an ebay resin idol is good enough, and for some anything less than an electroplated 24k Gobler won't do.

But I've wanted this buckle ever since the game came out, so if Michael's shapeways buckle comes out as cool looking as his 3D model, then that's the option I'm going for.

I think even spending a lot of money on some of the props is a bit ridiculous. Actually, I think some of the stuff offered out there is a bit to overpriced for what you end up getting. I think I'd rather put the money toward actually owning something real, like going to an auction , and getting real antiques to put on display than to spend a small fortune on replicas of movie props. That's just me though....

It also boils down to what the item actually is. I'll spend over a $100 on a good pair of boots but I just can't justify paying a high price for ANY buckle no matter what it is. I get a LOT of use out of my other two buckles and to be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one I paid a lot of money for because what if it get's messed up? If something happens to my other ones well then I'm out $20. LOL

By the way I was playing Uncharted 3's multiplayer and using the UC2 Drake skin and the buckle is absolutely rectangle shaped now. It almost looks like the UC3 buckle with the "Rising Sun" image in the center. They updated the skins when they switched them over to UC3. So, I guess since they're "updated" this would be the most current "look" for the outfits.

Personally, I like the buckle choices presented on some of the sites....like the eBay ones for $7. I need to decide on if I want gold or silver and then maybe I'll pick one up. :)

THIS WILL BE DIFFICULT!

Good news: My buckle is here - made in US. The quality is ok.

Bad news: The material is most likely pewter. And this is covered by a chrom layer. Good for scratch resistance etc. but very bad for any further finishing (Gold, brass layer etc.). This has to be removed with e.g. HCl.

The spheres from the bezel can be cut off with a band saw and a lot of "fine feeling".

The coin will need a significant deepening to provide the 3D look of the original - i.e. the rays etc. would otherwise be to flat. 39 mm diameter - as stated - does not fit because the opening in the bezel is not precisely cylindrical. So a lot of fine tuning will be necessary to make everything fit together.

The biggest problem however will be the finishing. This will be a long way to go...

THIS WILL BE DIFFICULT!

Good news: My buckle is here - made in US. The quality is ok.

Bad news: The material is most likely pewter. And this is covered by a chrom layer. Good for scratch resistance etc. but very bad for any further finishing (Gold, brass layer etc.). This has to be removed with e.g. HCl.

The spheres from the bezel can be cut off with a band saw and a lot of "fine feeling".

The coin will need a significant deepening to provide the 3D look of the original - i.e. the rays etc. would otherwise be to flat. 39 mm diameter - as stated - does not fit because the opening in the bezel is not precisely cylindrical. So a lot of fine tuning will be necessary to make everything fit together.

The biggest problem however will be the finishing. This will be a long way to go...

I can see what you mean by "long way to go". The pieces looks like they're there, it's just a matter of marrying them in a way that'll work. Pewter with chrome? That's an interesting choice, isn't it?

With the coin option, I understand it can fit a Silver Dollar. Could the rising sun coin follow the same design? A little raised, no more than a coin, for the desired effect? Is that a possibility?

Regardless, good to know you're working hard (as always) to get this thing looking GREAT!:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back