Super Mario Bros Bob-Omb

Howlrunner

Sr Member
One of the easiest (and most important) props from the SMB movie, the Bob-Omb:
ss_smbmovie-dvd_04.jpg

I've seen one or two replicas of this made (including contec's great one), but I've never seen one that actually works. I decided that needed to change....

The main problem, I looked and looked, but couldn't find ANY spherical walking windup toys. Yes, I found windup spherical ones, or ever bomb-shaped ones, BUT they all jumped along, they didn't walk. So on to something a little different......

!BjfvEMQBWk~$(KGrHqQH-CIEs7hR1+d1BLT0drG,z!~~_12.JPG

You're right to look worried Mr Owl....... :angel

A bit of hack and slash with the dremel later:
Bob-Omb1.jpg

Toes added with Milliput.
6cm diameter clear acrylic craft-store bauble with windows cut for the legs and winder.
Cut down pen body filled with Milliput and a string fuse.
Plastic eyes cut from an old christmas tree bauble (so that their curve matches the sphere).
Winder extended using a slice of a dead paintbrush.
Winding handle cut from 3mm thick plastic sheet.

Assembly prior to painting:

Bob-Omb2.jpg

The owl's body will be hotglued inside the sphere for stability after I've sprayed the sphere.

The best thing? It actually winds up and WALKS. :):thumbsup

I always had a special place in my heart for SMB movie, and the bomb-omb was something I always wanted. Thank you for doing this. I might have to give this a try sometime.

This is why the RPF exists. ANYTHING is fair game.

wow this will be one of the coolest props ever! Maybe you could take a sparkler and wrap the the threads of the fuse around it to hide it :)

With some paint, that owl-ball will almost look idental to the bomb!
Great job!

"Owl-ball"! Sounds like some awesome sport the Incas might have played. :lol

Ok, I actually decided to paint it up using a brush rather than spray paint - the rougher texture seems to match the screen-caps better.

Painted up and owl hotglued into back half of the sphere:

Bob-Omb3.jpg

I've made it so that the two halves are not permanently attached - you can open it up any time in case you need to fix the mechanism - or just gaze upon the dismembered owl. :lol

Finished:

Bob-Omb5.jpg

Bob-Omb4.jpg

I'll try to get a vid up later. :)

Awesome work!

But I think the eyes look a little big, no? The eyes on the screen used one almost look like the hole punch leftovers, but that might be too small.

Regardless, I love it.

Ryu

Awesome work!

But I think the eyes look a little big, no? The eyes on the screen used one almost look like the hole punch leftovers, but that might be too small.

Regardless, I love it.

Ryu

Yeah, I thought they looked a little large myself, AFTER I had superglued then on. :rolleyes Oh well, close enough....

Always a fan of your work H, and you seem to be so quick with turing out stuff, don't you have anything else to do, like sleep???

Always a fan of your work H, and you seem to be so quick with turing out stuff, don't you have anything else to do, like sleep???

What can I say, I like to make my down time as productive as possible. Never could sit still for long. :lol

That's adorable! Are you going to put the "Reebok" on the feet?

I thought about it, but the feet are concave, so it would mean filling them to get them flat, then painting, etc, so I'm not going to bother.

Here's the little guy in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIweiDfzOxE

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back