Witch-king of Angmar (Finished) With Templates (12/29/2012)

Re: WIP: Witch-king of Angmar

I love this build. The pic next to batman is hilarious. If you don't mind the questions, what thickness of styrene did you use, and does it have to be reinforced where you riveted it?

I love this build. The pic next to batman is hilarious. If you don't mind the questions, what thickness of styrene did you use, and does it have to be reinforced where you riveted it?

The weakest part of the Rivets are the rivets themselves falling out. The plastic isn't hard enough to make a solid hold so eventually I started using Rivets with Washers. Which is what I would recommend if you can.

It was the thinest styrene. I think an eighth of an inch.

Also, that Batman is a fellow rpf'er, he is on here somewhere.

There are some builds on here that are so inspiring, and then as I scroll through the pages become very depressing... because I know I will never attempt them >.<

Great great great work!

This is great work! Me and my friend are just about to try and tackle this costume and are debating what to do it with...

I hate to derail this thread but in Brisbane, Australia just last weekend, I trooped in my witch King costume for the first time even though it was not finished yet. still have too replace the card board knuckles with steel ones, and pt the finished feet protection.

Here is his website my friend just made. all the pictures are of me in it, and he has put a lot of time into this armour.

The Witchking of Agmar

i will make a thread soon of the troop we did.

This is great work! Me and my friend are just about to try and tackle this costume and are debating what to do it with...

Thanks.

As I've said before. Thin styrene plastic and a heat gun works wonders for faking simple armor plates.

The only thing I wasn't happy with is the foot broke before I even set foot in the convention hall, and I should have just bit the bullet and worn an extra two layers of cloth to thicken out that part. It was the hottest day in Seattle all year though and I didn't want to roast.

Could you please post closeup pics of what you did with the feet? Your costume looks simply incredible by the way.

That looks awesome!
It's even more impressive that you shaped the plastic without a vacuum table.

The weakest part of the Rivets are the rivets themselves falling out. The plastic isn't hard enough to make a solid hold so eventually I started using Rivets with Washers. Which is what I would recommend if you can.

It was the thinest styrene. I think an eighth of an inch.

Also, that Batman is a fellow rpf'er, he is on here somewhere.

since you used 0.125 inch sheets, do you think .08 would work or would that be too thin?

Thanks!

Great piece of work, and hope to see it in person someday. If I had seen your thread earlier, I would have recommended you use black sentra instead of styrene, which would be thicker but still easy to mold with your heat gun process. It would be a lot stronger, and look like real metal plates (thicker).

I m just starting my full scale Sauron now. I have access to a 4'x4' vac-u-form" so I think I will be able to pull it off. It should be ready for next year's Dragon Con. He may even ride a 'dragon' converted from the full size dewback I'm trying to finish now for this year's dragon-con!

Thanks for posting your WIP. It is very inspiring!

Great piece of work, and hope to see it in person someday. If I had seen your thread earlier, I would have recommended you use black sentra instead of styrene, which would be thicker but still easy to mold with your heat gun process. It would be a lot stronger, and look like real metal plates (thicker).

I m just starting my full scale Sauron now. I have access to a 4'x4' vac-u-form" so I think I will be able to pull it off. It should be ready for next year's Dragon Con. He may even ride a 'dragon' converted from the full size dewback I'm trying to finish now for this year's dragon-con!

Thanks for posting your WIP. It is very inspiring!

Thanks Bossk,

The Styrene works great if only because it's so light weight. When I hand people the helmet they are always shocked at how light weight it is.

I've seen a few Saurons out there, it would be a very fun build to do. Although it is a massive one at that.

Wow amazing. I have made medieval armor out of styrene a number of years, so I know your pain about it falling apart. I don't even rivet it anymore, just fake rivits raises and leather strips glued to the backside to hold it together with elastic to hold it to your body.

where did you find the pattern to make the robe/cloak? I am about to rip my hair out trying to figure out how to put it together

where did you find the pattern to make the robe/cloak? I am about to rip my hair out trying to figure out how to put it together

There is barely any pattern at all. Just shreaded up bits of cloth badly sewn together. Luckly his cloaks are supposed to be terribly worn, and so I didn't have to have any degree of sewing skills.

You could sew up a jedi or sith robe, or really any robe. Just imagine some robes that are blacked, ripped, and decaying over the course of a thousand years.

Just do a ton of layers of thin cloth layered over the top of each other. I used alot of gauze cloth, and whatever cheap cloth that they had.

I also layered in some dark grey in with the black.

Now if you want to be more accurate...i have no idea.

I'm currently working on the same costume for Halloween/future cons. Its out of poster board, paper clay, bondo, and paint, but this is so cool and well made!
I'm working on the gauntlets right now but kinda glad I ran across this before I finished because I had a few issues that I can now fix.
Did you think of doing some dirt weathering to the robes too to accent the shredding?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back