My Third 1:1 'Indiana Jones' Bust... WIP!

Chewie15

Sr Member
Hey Guys,

Here's a new 1:1 Indy bust that's been in the works now for a little over a year... while touring Sideshow Collectibles about a year and half ago I saw their Premium Format figure and fell in love with the expression, so I've been trying to get something similar for this new bust! I think theirs was a tad bit cartoonish, so I tried to go very subtle and not over do it.

As you see this one has sculpted clothes... I'm going for a few different versions of this guy: I'm making this one with the sculpted clothing and even an optional sculpted hat! This way in resin he'll be 100% paintable and I can also make a 'cold cast' bronze one too :) Then I'll scrap the clay and make a bald version for my silicone bust! I can't wait to re-do him in silicone, I feel I've come such a long way with the process... this one will be the best yet!

Another reason for the resin version (I so badly wanted to move away from) is a way of getting even with the recasters! I figure what a better way than to compete with these guys that have recast all my older versions... to make new ones to compete with these guys! I'm re-visting a lot of my classic characters too, just for resin versions!

Anyhow, he's still a 'work in progress'... but will be done soon ;) I'd love to hear some feedback...

2010Indy1.jpg

2010Indy2.jpg

2010Indy3.jpg

H

www.howardsstudios.com

Last edited:
WOW Howard!

He looks Incredible man! The sculpted clothes look really nice so far too! :cool

°Jeff

CAMPer

Liking it so far...

I have your first two. My opinion of the first two is that your second is more of a ToD era Ford, where he was a bit older, carrying a bit more weight.

Your first sculpt, he appears - well, not gaunt - but thinner in the face, in line with the more slight Ford of the time.

Then, of course, by the time we reached LC, Ford was getting dangerously close to 50 years old, and looked markedly different than his ROTLA days.

Not sure if you agree with this assessment of your first two sculpts, but the question is, are you making a conscious effort to replicate Ford of a particular film?

looks great...what type of clay do you use mainly ?

I imagine the buckle on the strap will be a harder part for realism. getting it nice and straight and not organic like the rest. Looks wonderful H....

Thanks folks!

Liking it so far...

I have your first two. My opinion of the first two is that your second is more of a ToD era Ford, where he was a bit older, carrying a bit more weight.

Your first sculpt, he appears - well, not gaunt - but thinner in the face, in line with the more slight Ford of the time.

Then, of course, by the time we reached LC, Ford was getting dangerously close to 50 years old, and looked markedly different than his ROTLA days.

Not sure if you agree with this assessment of your first two sculpts, but the question is, are you making a conscious effort to replicate Ford of a particular film?

To answer this question...

The first I sculpted was a re-tooling of the Han Solo I had sculpted first. Since the Han was much more bloated, I think I had heard he was ripping it it up in the bars quite a bit during the filming of Star wars and he had that puffy look going. So I shaved it down I think a little bit too much... so that is a good observation, he was tad gaunt. As for reference on that one I think I tried sticking to Raiders. Heck I sculpted that like 7 years ago... it's hard to remember the reference used ;)

For my second attempt 2 years ago... I wanted to focus on the body as well as the portrait, so I has quite a bit of Temple of Doom reference with his shirt off hence he loomed more like that movie.

For the third, I want the 'Raiders' look for the final portrait... and he's still rough here, but when finished he'll have that 'look' for sure!

So I guess, I always wanted Raiders, since he is the most iconic in that film.

looks great...what type of clay do you use mainly ?

I imagine the buckle on the strap will be a harder part for realism. getting it nice and straight and not organic like the rest. Looks wonderful H....

I use Chavant mainly, but will be doing a few pieces coming up in WED water based clay.

The clothes are actually very rough here... basically a sketch.

H

www.howardsstudios.com

That's right - I remember that now, (that the first was re-tooled from Solo).

You mentioned maybe going too far. But I think your first Indy just right for ROTLA. The face is a bit more angular, with slightly sharper features, which I think fit the younger Ford better.

Looking forward to progress on this one! :thumbsup

Hey Howard,

Looks great as usual!

Can't wait to see the finished product all painted up!

Following this thread with interest

thanks

brad

Thanks again guys!

That's right - I remember that now, (that the first was re-tooled from Solo).

You mentioned maybe going too far. But I think your first Indy just right for ROTLA. The face is a bit more angular, with slightly sharper features, which I think fit the younger Ford better.

Looking forward to progress on this one! :thumbsup

I agree 100%, I will be re-tooling this one a bunch more until I'm satisfied with a 'Raiders' Indy. There is reason for making him over and over again... never quite happy with the previous ones. I also like the idea of sharper features.

H

www.howardsstudios.com

Looks awesome! This reminds me of a picture from TOD when he's relaxed in the jungle while playing cards with Short Round.
2010Indy1.jpg

Looking really good Howard. I can't wait to see how your silicone version of this turns out.

BTW ... couldn't help but notice all of the Reeve reference photos ... is that a hint at things to come? ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back