NBC's Community

One thing I just don't get is how these characters get money to live off of. Hardly any of them have any means of support!
  • Jeff Winger - former lawyer, but where's the money coming from? He's loaned money to people in the past but turned down the 'consulting' gig at his former law firm. Yes, he moved into a cheaper place, but I assume he saved up from his lawyer days?
  • Britta Perry - used to work at the diner where she got fired from after stalling for Abed's "Pulp Fiction" birthday
  • Abed Nadir - his Dad pays for everything, if I recall season one correctly?
  • Shirley Bennett - single mom for a while, how'd she afford school at first?
  • Annie Edison - lived in a crummy neighborhood and saved up all her money from babysitting and birthdays, but where's the money coming from now?
  • Troy Barnes - okay, where's his money coming from?
  • Pierce Hawthorne - millionaire, the only member that makes sense.

student loans?

Last edited by a moderator:
student loans?
They'd pay for the classes, but I was wondering about their living expenses as none of them seem to have jobs.
Yeah, I know, it's like arguing the logic behind Superman's actions when you're ignoring the fact that people can't really fly at all, I was just wondering as the show generally does acknowledge these people need money and don't seem to have much of it, other than Pierce and Jeff...

Love this show. Haven't watched a ton of episodes but damn, is it funny.

As for the income question, with all due respect, it's a TV show. Suspend your sense of reality! :)

I can understand the desire to know that stuff but if they wanted us to know where they get their money, they'd have put it in the show. ;)

Malcom is a great choice for that guest role, I remember they were also hoping to get Bill Murray for that originally.

The new episode had it funny moments and though I enjoyed it, overall it was not a strong episode especially for a new season's opening episode. I hope it gets better. 12 more episodes to go.

I'm a huge fan of Community.

With that said... This episode felt like a show trying its hardest to be Community rather than the show being itself naturally. It had all of the quirks and old standbys of the show of the past, but it felt as if they were saying "Hey we're still the same! Here's some oddball stuff that you love!" Unfortunately, while they were doing that, it just didn't have the same undertone/voice of old. Of course, this is natural when you change showrunners, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing.

I'll be watching the rest of the season, but I'm hoping the rest of the episodes smooth out a bit...

I liked the season opener. No, it didn't have the pizazz of previous openers but it was still Community.

I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining 12 episodes with the hope that it ends properly. Hate it when shows end without summing things up. I'd rather see a proper ending because the writers know the show's done.

I haven't been terribly thrilled with the new season. My wife isn't big on the show (mostly I think because the references to sci-fi totally make no sense to her) but she laughed at the DVDs from the previous seasons. I think she said it best after the episode on 3-14, when she said, "This show won't last another season at this rate."
Seeing how they messed with the timeframes, I have to agree she's probably right, unless they improve right away. I have a feeling I'm watching the final season right now, and I sure hope to br wrong about that!

I actually haven't seen anything funny this season yet. I laughed out loud countless times in the previous seasons but can't recall one really funny moment yet.
It's almost like a soap opera now. The Inspector Spacetime convention episode was funny to me to a degree, but not 'laugh out loud' funny. It was more funny for how it portrayed the fan worship within the hobby. Tricia Helfer was a surprise, but I'm sure she loved the idea of mocking the fandom in general (or revelling in it, I'm not sure which)...
NUP_152150_0939-300x200.jpg

As the show runs opposite "Big Band Theory" right now (seriously, there's no contest, is there, at least right now?), I've been watching Community when it's on, then BBT on demand the following day. If Community keeps up with it's lukewarm self, I might watch BBT first...

Last night's episode wasn't that much better. Now, Pierce is an okay guy to hang around? WTF?
We're watching the final season of this show, folks. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. Now, I understand why NBC delayed the season as long as it could. Someone must have watched this season's episodes...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back